Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

He was made redundant following administration. Spent most of his time with the club doing punditry on La Liga game for Sky. 

Eric Black was the manager after Davies, with Butcher his assistant - Butcher's role in his demise here is a bit overstated...

24 minutes ago, BendtnerBairn said:

One for you lads...

It always amuses me that, thanks to his somewhat successful managerial career since, people forget he was absolutely shite as a footballer. 

10 minutes ago, Desp said:

It always amuses me that, thanks to his somewhat successful managerial career since, people forget he was absolutely shite as a footballer. 

He didn't have any sort of pedigree when arriving did he? 

How did he end up doing Sky in the first place? I've just looked and he played one game with Zaragoza.

Edited by AndyRoss

10 hours ago, Busta Nut said:

He was fuckin' rotten.

He turned up at Dundee United - Motherwell on the last day of the season game after that St Mirren disaster when Paul Keegan played up top and we chucked a two goal lead.

Couple of older boy were remarking "There's Bobby Martinez!" to which he gave a friendly wave collecting comps, before some other boy, much louder than he intended, muttered "Aye, he was fuckin shite".

Bobby didn't look pleased.

He was just one of a batch of awful signings made by Billy Davies shortly before his sacking. There was him, Karl Ready, Andy Dow, Eddie Forrest and 35/36 year old David Kelly. He was good a penalties though.

I don't really remember any of his performances. Jordi Cruyff turning up pre-season to Cliftonhill in his Bentley to watch him was very surreal though. Not even sure if Martinez played that day.

I have to admit I'm guilty of telling that story any time his name comes up as it's my only real memory of him.

I've always found it weird how we "had" to cut our cloth during the 2000/01 season when we got rid of Brannan, McMillan, Spencer, McCulloch, Goodman and Goram in a short space of time, yet then let Davies sign his summer dross, before allowing Black to then sign Dirk Lehmann and five Frenchmen. It's no wonder we ended up in administration when you think about it really!

Didn't David Kelly's 'Well career end after a bust-up with Butcher after the Scottish Cup to defeat to Dunfermline? Wonder if it was a physical or verbal fight.

On a side note, I'm guessing that the Scotland Belgium friendly last year must be the only international match ever where both managers were former Motherwell players.

35 minutes ago, MJC said:

He was just one of a batch of awful signings made by Billy Davies shortly before his sacking. There was him, Karl Ready, Andy Dow, Eddie Forrest and 35/36 year old David Kelly. He was good a penalties though.

Harsh on Karl Ready, He was a decent big lump of wid, David Kelly was also decent-ish I thought.

My abiding memory of the entire Davies "era" and all the stuff after it wasn't the overspending as such - it was the fucking *awful* value we got for the money we overspent. Almost finished the club for absolutely f**k-all in return - we were (apart from the few occasions that the TV cameras were in town), shite.

4 minutes ago, nsr said:

Is Karl Ready still playing at an amateur level in order to claim his 30 pieces of silver from us?

Dunno, but this is quite amusing: https://uk.sports.yahoo.com/news/blast-from-the-past-no36-karl-ready-112653553.html

See also: https://www.fansnetwork.co.uk/members/queensparkrangers/forum/172359/2324005/karl-ready--help-required/, which can be summarised as "he wasn't as bad as Bob Malcolm".

Edited by Gallus Numpty

1 hour ago, crazylegsjoe said:

Didn't David Kelly's 'Well career end after a bust-up with Butcher after the Scottish Cup to defeat to Dunfermline? Wonder if it was a physical or verbal fight.

Aye, it did indeed.  Pretty sure it was 5-1 at the end.  Considering it was David Kelly & Terry Butcher, I'd be astounded if it didn't end up being physical.

On a side note, I'm guessing that the Scotland Belgium friendly last year must be the only international match ever where both managers were former Motherwell players.

There's yer STAT OF THE DAY right there. 

9 minutes ago, Desp said:

Aye, it did indeed.  Pretty sure it was 5-1 at the end.  Considering it was David Kelly & Terry Butcher, I'd be astounded if it didn't end up being physical.

That was the day most fondly remembered for the 'Well fans chanting "Off, Off, Off" after a bad tackle by Derek Adams and mass cheering when it happened #12thMan