Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

32 minutes ago, well fan for life said:

Mark O'Brien still astounds me that teams have actually paid him real money to play for them. A total shambles of a player. I'd say he was a carthorse but I think carthorses actually served some purpose in the world. 

Dodgy as he was, I see he had to retire at the age of 27 this year due to heart valve problems. I'm sure we'll all wish him well...

Big week ahead. There is a real possibility that we could lose our best player, crash out of Europe and get a pumping at Celtic Park. The reaction to this would not be pretty. I'm certainly not pressing the panic button yet. We have been here before with Robinson and I think he will find the right combination, I just really hope he can do this prior to Thursday night.

I've been thinking about this our last few games but I'd quite like to see a change in system rather than running through every possible combination of 3 forwards we have. I'd quite like to see us shift to two up front, Watt + Long/Lang would be interesting. As much as I don't think we have been particuarly great elsewhere on the park our main problem just now appears to be 1. Creating decent chances and 2. Scoring goals. Other than the occasional defence splitting Turnbull pass we just don't look at all dangerous. With going two up top I think we might see a wee bit more joy having the pairing play off eachother.

I know he's had two disallowed goals and has 'put himself about' but I think White upfront is a bit of a detriment to our overall play. He's not particularly good in the air, can't really hold the ball up and seems to consistently give away cheap fouls. I am by no means writing the guy off I just don't really think our play should be catered to him, it feels like everything Robinson is trying to do just now is played through him and it's not really working.

We seem to have so much of the ball and do absolutely nothing with it, it is so frustrating to watch. We either play ultra safe passes and go nowhere or launch hopeful diagonal balls at White, this seems to be the extent of our game plan at the moment. We need more guys active up front and running into space. I could be completely wrong but with the current system I have concerns where a goal is going to come from on Thursday. 100% Glentoran will be copying Accies game plan and the way we are playing they probably have a chance.

39 minutes ago, Gallus Numpty said:

Dodgy as he was, I see he had to retire at the age of 27 this year due to heart valve problems. I'm sure we'll all wish him well...

Goes without saying that I wish him and anyone else nothing but the best of health, but I'm just recalling his time with us as I remember it...

1 hour ago, Busta Nut said:

Imma make a list of diddies from wiki.

Woods - Everyone's standard shout. Mainly cos that foook up v Rangers in the cup IMO.
Miko Kaven - A lot of folk didn't like him. I don't think that he was that bad but certainly did not have a great spell with us
Franc Dubourdeau - Was dug shite but wasn't the worst. 
Colin Meldrum - definition of back up
Lee Hollis - Ultimate shite for me. Clearly won a raffle.
Gunnar Nielson - Defo top 3 when it comes to worst
Craig Samson - He was so shite
Dan Twardzik - Right up there for me. Lee Hollis saves him from winning this IMO

Just a few, didn't select many bit part players and i think everyone else was "awright"

Edited by Busta Nut

7 minutes ago, Busta Nut said:

Woods - Everyone's standard shout. Mainly cos that foook up v Rangers in the cup IMO.
Miko Kaven - A lot of folk didn't like him. I don't think that he was that bad but certainly did not have a great spell with us
Franc Dubourdeau - Was dug shite but wasn't the worst. 
Colin Meldrum - definition of back up
Lee Hollis - Ultimate shite for me. Clearly won a raffle.
Gunnar Nielson - Defo top 3 when it comes to worst
Craig Samson - He was so shite
Dan Twardzik - Right up there for me. Lee Hollis saves him from winning this IMO

Just a few, didn't select many bit part players and i think everyone else was "awright"

Who was that useless fucker that McGhee signed as a leaving present the first time - Fraser? I'll pick him....

I will say though that the Samson Special lettuce wrist save where he pushed the ball straight to an opposition player had me a seething mess on a few occasions.....

Is Turnbull going not a blessing, if it brings in £3 million? I don't know what the financial situation is like at Motherwell, but many clubs are struggling, and with a second wave predicted, I'd think the survival of my club is paramount. Saints seem to be okay, but we're in the minority, I suspect. 

No one will convince me that there has been a worse Motherwell goalkeeper than Craig Samson. I'm still amazed that watching him and Zak Jules in the same team didn't result in me being carted off to Carstairs.

Trying to convince yourself that selling your best player, and potentially one of the best Scottish midfielders players of this decade, is the secret formula to turning a poor run of form around, is a strange one.

1 hour ago, Ron Aldo said:

No one will convince me that there has been a worse Motherwell goalkeeper than Craig Samson. I'm still amazed that watching him and Zak Jules in the same team didn't result in me being carted off to Carstairs.

It's everything about the Samson thing that seals it for me. I mean, it's not like he's someone we signed who turned out to be a bit pish - he actually left Killie because he couldn't get into their team. He signed for us...and was 2nd choice to Ripley who was a fine enough 'keeper but we extended his loan in the January so it was clear that we fancied him more as #1 than the ginger prince.

So he wasn't good enough for Killie, wasn't good enough to be our first pick ahead of Ripley so clearly it made complete sense for us to offer him a new deal, make him #1 and watch him almost relegate us.

Edited by capt_oats

Basically we're at the point where Turnbull has proved his fitness, so the terms verbally agreed when he signed his contract extension now kick in. 

All parties knew what fee it would be, so the usual suspects howling at the moon for £5m, £6m and £7m are, as usual, morons. 

Providing DT goes on progress in the way everyone thinks, both Celtic & Motherwell will do very well out of his next transfer fee. 

3 minutes ago, Desp said:

Basically we're at the point where Turnbull has proved his fitness, so the terms verbally agreed when he signed his contract extension now kick in. 

All parties knew what fee it would be, so the usual suspects howling at the moon for £5m, £6m and £7m are, as usual, morons. 

Providing DT goes on progress in the way everyone thinks, both Celtic & Motherwell will do very well out of his next transfer fee. 

Just saw a few of your tweets - some of the shouts out there are absolutely fucking wild.

Fair play to Turnbull. He's signed an extension (twice) to make sure the club get value for him. He fully deserves to get paid himself now.

Well fan phoned Clyde the other day saying the club should demand £10m. Similar to Celtic fans wanting £50m for Edouard, fantasists.

2 hours ago, Sinner-to-Saint said:

Is Turnbull going not a blessing, if it brings in £3 million? I don't know what the financial situation is like at Motherwell, but many clubs are struggling, and with a second wave predicted, I'd think the survival of my club is paramount. Saints seem to be okay, but we're in the minority, I suspect. 

How many season tickets have St Mirren sold?