Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

5 hours ago, capt_oats said:

"The Motherwell substitute's goal celebrated in the worst possible way by some supporters" 😀

Was at every one of those - time well spent quite frankly.

Funny seeing young me in the highlights after Dave McCabe's goal was (wrongly!) chalked off in the '89 game. Terry Butchers foul in the last minute worth the admission price alone - just a wee yellow card in those days.

When it comes to Accies, I can sort of gee myself up to "hate" them 3 or 4  times a year for 90 minutes but in all honesty I don't really have much of an opinion the rest of the time and quite like them being in the league for a nice local away day with a decent atmosphere. St Mirren on the other hand I hope we never play again and would happily see them liquidated. 

8 hours ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

When it comes to Accies, I can sort of gee myself up to "hate" them 3 or 4  times a year for 90 minutes but in all honesty I don't really have much of an opinion the rest of the time and quite like them being in the league for a nice local away day with a decent atmosphere. St Mirren on the other hand I hope we never play again and would happily see them liquidated. 

Can't agree with your comments re St Mirren .

At time of Phil's death their fans went out their way to put together a banner showing their respect to our Captain.

For this ( and because I've always found their fans ok) I have a lot of time for them.

10 hours ago, Swello said:

Was at every one of those - time well spent quite frankly.

Funny seeing young me in the highlights after Dave McCabe's goal was (wrongly!) chalked off in the '89 game. Terry Butchers foul in the last minute worth the admission price alone - just a wee yellow card in those days.

I'd like to take a moment to say how in awe I am of folk who can remember games they were at 30 odd years ago.

I've a pile of programmes from the mid 80s/early-mid 90s and honestly, if it wasn't for them I couldn't have told you whether I was at the games or not. In my mind they just exist as one homogenous "fitba" memory.

I couldn't tell you the scores without checking (my first game was a 2-1 loss to St Mirren at Fir Park in December 1986 - I looked it up).

Even the Cup final - I was there (in 1991, the first Cup win since 1952...I'm losing my edge) but I have zero recollection of the game.

30 minutes ago, well fan for life said:

St Mirren offer free beans with your pie. For that they can stay in the top flight. 

Their new stadium's shite, though. Love Street was class. The away end was like a cliff face. 

I play 7s with a couple of St Mirren fans and they're alright.

Edited by capt_oats

I kinda like all provincial sides simply because they suffer similarly to us.  In fact arguably given our relative recent success they suffer more.  So St Mirren, Killie, Falkirk and Dunfermline are OK with me. 

Like most I reserve my disdain for the Old Firm.  As they dominate the game so much, could not give a flying f*ck about other Scottish clubs and clog up the airwaves taking approx 80-90% of all Radio coverage. 99.9% if it is BBC Sportsound.  Sorry I meant BBC Old Firm...

Don't even mind the other city clubs such as Aberdeen.  Probably favour Hibs over Hearts and Dundee over Dundee United. 

I do tend to hate the teams and fans of clubs in the immediate aftermath of a defeat. So that happens quite often, but it dissipates after a few days unless it is Rangers or Celtic as above.

19 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

I'd like to take a moment to say how in awe I am of folk who can remember games they were at 30 odd years ago.

I've a pile of programmes from the mid 80s/early-mid 90s and honestly, if it wasn't for them I couldn't have told you whether I was at the games or not. In my mind they just exist as one homogenous "fitba" memory.

I couldn't tell you the scores without checking (my first game was a 2-1 loss to St Mirren at Fir Park in December 1986 - I looked it up).

Even the Cup final - I was there (in 1991, the first Cup win since 1952...I'm losing my edge) but I have zero recollection of the game.

I play 7s with a couple of St Mirren fans and they're alright.

My girlfriend thinks I'm a fucking weirdo with that. I won't remember something we done like 6 months ago but I can tell you exactly how Motherwell goals from 15 years ago panned out. 

I can still picture Pat Nevin scoring the winner from an outrageous angle against Hearts in the first game my dad ever took me to. It was a replay at Fir Park after the first one was rained off. They handed out the vouchers for entry to folk on the way out and my dad's pal grabbed a handful. 

I can't say that I hate any of the other diddy sides. Anyone who chooses not to support one of the Old Firm is alright in my book.

In Motherwell, other diddy fans are hard to come by as most people either support Motherwell or one of the Old Firm. However I know a Killie fan, Dundee United fan, St. Johnstone fan and a couple of Partick Thistle fans and all of them are sound so I'm taking it that the rest of their fan base are too.

Gallagher, Campbell and Polworth all been offered extensions by the Club.

https://news.stv.tv/sport/scotland-star-gallagher-among-three-offered-motherwell-deals?amp&__twitter_impression=true

Motherwell have offered new contracts to Scotland defender Declan Gallagher, Allan Campbell and Liam Polworth.

Manager Stephen Robinson believes the club have worked hard to keep the trio in North Lanarkshire, but concedes they may be tempted by better offers elsewhere.

He said: ”They’ve all been offered contracts. It’s up to them what they do.

“There is a limit where Motherwell can go to. I don’t have a problem with that, as long as people conduct themselves properly and have humility.

“It’s up to them. We have made our offers and tried very hard. We’ll see where that goes.”

1 hour ago, capt_oats said:

I was 7, nearly 8 at this game. I remember wee bits n pieces but very little of the game, mostly due tot he fact it was all terracing and I could only see folks in front of me, I was standing on the barrier most of the game. At 3-1 'well fans were singing "we're gonna win the cup" and ma da said to me "it's too fucking early yet". He was right but ultimately so were the 'Well fans.

I battered my head off the terrace barriers and probably ruined that day for ma da but he'd been taking me to FP for years I don't remember my first game, neither does he and I have memories of being on trains to Scottish cup 3rd round away days when I was wee too.

We do a fitba/Well based quiz each week and it's amazing what everyone does remember, then there is the freaks who don't forget anything.

31 minutes ago, Phillips455 said:

According to Burrows' Tweet to one of his reply guys in September we'd been speaking to Campbell since the summer - so it's not really news.

You'd expect us to be offering those players contracts. It'd be dead weird if we didn't. Equally though, they'd be mental not to shop around and see what else is on offer - Gallagher and Campbell in particular.

We have a ton of players out of contract in the summer (and January) but probably only a handful I'd have thought we'd actively want to keep at the club.

Out of Contract:

GK: Fox, Chapman, Archer (January)
DF: Carroll, Mugabi, Dunne (January), Devine, Hussain, Gallagher, O'Donnell (January)
MF: Campbell, Crawford (January), Polworth, Cornelius, Semple
FW: Hastie (loan expires), Seedorf, Lang (loan expires), Cole, Long, Robinson, MacIver

Total: 22

Edited by capt_oats

1 hour ago, Ron Aldo said:

I can't say that I hate any of the other diddy sides. Anyone who chooses not to support one of the Old Firm is alright in my book.

In Motherwell, other diddy fans are hard to come by as most people either support Motherwell or one of the Old Firm. However I know a Killie fan, Dundee United fan, St. Johnstone fan and a couple of Partick Thistle fans and all of them are sound so I'm taking it that the rest of their fan base are too.

Pretty much this. If you don't support the OF then that is ultimately a good thing, so mon the diddy teams.

That said, Falkirk and Airdrie can f**k off.

1 hour ago, Busta Nut said:

I was 7, nearly 8 at this game. I remember wee bits n pieces but very little of the game, mostly due tot he fact it was all terracing and I could only see folks in front of me, I was standing on the barrier most of the game. At 3-1 'well fans were singing "we're gonna win the cup" and ma da said to me "it's too fucking early yet". He was right but ultimately so were the 'Well fans.

I battered my head off the terrace barriers and probably ruined that day for ma da but he'd been taking me to FP for years I don't remember my first game, neither does he and I have memories of being on trains to Scottish cup 3rd round away days when I was wee too.

We do a fitba/Well based quiz each week and it's amazing what everyone does remember, then there is the freaks who don't forget anything.

Aye, I'm a bit older than you but not by a massive amount. I can remember a bunch of stuff around the Cup Final. Daft things like what CD I bought and where I bought it (The Almighty - Soul Destruction, Impulse in East Kilbride (I had fucking atrocious taste in music as an early teen)) or I'd been on an outward bound thing at Caldercruix with my school the week before but can't remember anything about watching the game from the terraces.

I do remember wanting to go back to Fir Park after but my Dad was just for driving straight back up the road.

There's other stuff like the 6-6 game. I could have told you exactly where I was that night without thinking (Pavement at the Barras) but I had to double check I was definitely at the 4-3 rescheduled game where Higdon scored the overhead kick (I was).

Airdrie died in 2002. Can't say I have any feelings either way about the new lot.

You mean the Clydebank Tribute Act?

I thought that with the introduction of the group system in the league cup that we might actually get to play them again but it seems there is an SPFL conspiracy to keep us apart.

I can only think of playing Airdrie once and that was in the Malpas season. Unsurprisingly the game (like most of that season) was fucking dire but we did win 1-0. Foran scored if I remember correctly.

Just to clarify, I'm not one of these people who can remember every game but I specifically remember that one as it was the first away game I'd been to.

4 minutes ago, Ron Aldo said:

I can only think of playing Airdrie once and that was in the Malpas season. Unsurprisingly the game (like most of that season) was fucking dire but we did win 1-0. Foran scored if I remember correctly.

Just to clarify, I'm not one of these people who can remember every game but I specifically remember that one as it was the first away game I'd been to.

As well as the above game, I only ever saw us play the old Airdrie once too, in their final season, where I believe Las scored a late winner for Airdrie with an OG.
It wasn't just any OG as I recall, fairly sure it was a 20 yarder into the top bag.