Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

I can only hope that Aaron Chapman has played his last game for us because that performance today was worse than Craig Samson. It's wishful thinking to hope we could bullet half the squad but there does need to be some new folk in or we are going into freefall. Of that team today I'd honestly only want to see Gallagher, Campbell & Watt play next week. Maybe O'Donnell can get a pass and if Carroll gets back to fitness he's a decent left back. The rest can all get squarely to f**k. Absolutely gutless across the board. 

15 minutes ago, well fan for life said:

I can only hope that Aaron Chapman has played his last game for us because that performance today was worse than Craig Samson. It's wishful thinking to hope we could bullet half the squad but there does need to be some new folk in or we are going into freefall. Of that team today I'd honestly only want to see Gallagher, Campbell & Watt play next week. Maybe O'Donnell can get a pass and if Carroll gets back to fitness he's a decent left back. The rest can all get squarely to f**k. Absolutely gutless across the board. 

Very similar to my assessment. I would also stick young Morrison in goals and give Maguire a start. The rest can get squarely to f**k. 

I will always be grateful for the good times Robinson gave us of which there were many , and he will undoubtedly go down as one of the best Motherwell managers in terms of what he achieved in terms of league placings, cup finals and player sales. 

What he and Foyle have left us with as a first team squad though....... holy f**k. 

30 minutes ago, 'WellDel said:

Very similar to my assessment. I would also stick young Morrison in goals and give Maguire a start. The rest can get squarely to f**k. 

I will always be grateful for the good times Robinson gave us of which there were many , and he will undoubtedly go down as one of the best Motherwell managers in terms of what he achieved in terms of league placings, cup finals and player sales. 

What he and Foyle have left us with as a first team squad though....... holy f**k. 

So I do think there was probably a bit of a covid-shaped issue with the summer transfer window. However that doesn't excuse how utterly dreadful every signing has been. 547056579_Screenshot2021-01-02at22_11_36.thumb.png.a275a1af1ccb087cff6c9291fe53e969.png

I know whenever we bring a player in there's an element of playing the lottery as we need to bring in players with their own baggage that means they'll play for us. But to have struck out across the board? That's surely a failing on more than Robinson.

And to finish this going full yer da. I know the Turnbull money is earmarked for other things that are long term, but surely there must be something can be put into the playing squad. Without anyone new in the door we are completely and utterly fucked. A defence that couldn't keep weans out a close and a set of strikers that couldn't score in a barrel of fannies. 

*ahem*

AH'LL NO BE BACK*

*due to Covid & that.

Edited by well fan for life

Purely for the fact he thinks Jordan White is an effective substitute, Keith Lasley can get tae f**k.

Aaron Chapman should be sacked in the morning, irrelevant of what it costs. An absolute disgrace of a performance. 

We've a long way to go to be any kind of decent. Albeit, a jaunt around a few Championship grounds will be a laugh.  

32 minutes ago, well fan for life said:

So I do think there was probably a bit of a covid-shaped issue with the summer transfer window. However that doesn't excuse how utterly dreadful every signing has been. 547056579_Screenshot2021-01-02at22_11_36.thumb.png.a275a1af1ccb087cff6c9291fe53e969.png

I know whenever we bring a player in there's an element of playing the lottery as we need to bring in players with their own baggage that means they'll play for us. But to have struck out across the board? That's surely a failing on more than Robinson.

And to finish this going full yer da. I know the Turnbull money is earmarked for other things that are long term, but surely there must be something can be put into the playing squad. Without anyone new in the door we are completely and utterly fucked. A defence that couldn't keep weans out a close and a set of strikers that couldn't score in a barrel of fannies. 

*ahem*

AH'LL NO BE BACK*

*due to Covid & that.

See, I've seen a couple of bits of shade thrown at Foyle but as far as I'm aware he's based in England (Stoke according to his LinkedIn).

So while I'm not going to pretend I know much about how the recruitment works other than the bits and pieces I've read or heard from Robinson on podcasts - I'd be pretty surprised if he was the main driver behind us signing Lamie (Livi), White (ICT), Fox (Thistle), Hastie (9 years in our academy), Crawford (Livi) or even O'Donnell (lives in Wishaw).

Here's Corrigan explaining:

“Then it’s about Stephen Robinson giving his approval but it’s a process that leaves no stone unturned.

“Martin covers the whole of Britain. I cover Scotland and he travels the length and breadth of the country looking at players in the lower leagues."

Link

I've mentioned it before but there was a post on Steelmen a while back that had us interested in Jordan White long before Robinson arrived at Fir Park either as assistant or manager.

Of the players we've signed this summer guys like McGinley, Lang, and Chapman are probably more likely to be in the Foyle pile.

Looking at the list of players we've signed in the summer it 100% looks like we've changed our approach from bringing up players from the English lower leagues and decided to go with folk from the area and either know the league or the club - whether that's Covid related IDK but it's a pretty clear shift.

Edited by capt_oats

14 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

See, I've seen a couple of bits of shade thrown at Foyle but as far as I'm aware he's based in England (Stoke according to his LinkedIn).

So while I'm not going to pretend I know much about how the recruitment works other than the bits and pieces I've read or heard from Robinson on podcasts - I'd be pretty surprised if he was the main driver behind us signing Lamie (Livi), White (ICT), Fox (Thistle), Hastie (9 years in our academy), Crawford (Livi) or even O'Donnell (lives in Wishaw).

I've mentioned it before but there was a post on Steelmen a while back that had us interested in Jordan White long before Robinson arrived at Fir Park either as assistant or manager.

Of the players we've signed this summer guys like McGinley, Lang, and Chapman are probably more likely to be in the Foyle pile.

Looking at the list of players we've signed in the summer it 100% looks like we've changed our approach from bringing up players from the English lower leagues and decided to go with folk from the area and either know the league or the club - whether that's Covid related IDK but it's a pretty clear shift.

I can see your point, but even at that, if McGinley, Lang and Chapman are the sum total of what he's recommended, they're hardly the indictment of stellar scouting, no matter how low our budget.

Chapman would be laughed at at junior level, he is honestly that bad. 30yrs old and somehow still stealing a wage as a footballer. 

Foyle should be punted into the sun in the morning along with the shite he's 'scouted'. The model  needs re-adressed as at the moment it is utterly fucked. 

18 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

Aye I think that's pretty spot on. Something changed, probably down to Covid, that meant we started looking at players that were available in the vicinity of ML1. O'Donnell seems to have fell into our lap due to the pandemic and is probably the one transfer that has been passable. The rest have been varying shades of shite. 

White's a weird one. I think it was you that had noticed we were interested in him about 6 years ago. Which is fair enough as he had a pretty good record in his early days. Not sure what we've seen in him since 2016 that's lead to us spending years before landing our man. 

1 minute ago, thisGRAEME said:

Am I alone in thinking that McGinley has been... Fine? Find it weird he's nowhere to be seen in among our shitshows.

No - I agree. He's sometimes not even been in the squad, so I wondered if something else was going on...

19 minutes ago, thisGRAEME said:

Am I alone in thinking that McGinley has been... Fine? Find it weird he's nowhere to be seen in among our shitshows.

17 minutes ago, Swello said:

No - I agree. He's sometimes not even been in the squad, so I wondered if something else was going on...

Also agree. I mean, he's largely been fine given the circumstances - relocates up here, different league and all that, gets injured and is out for 6 weeks after his first 90 mins. Without wanting to make excuses, I can see it being a very different settling in period given all the Covid stuff. He seems to vanish for a bit after that Hibs 0-3 game.

I wondered if it may have been an injury thing but he was never mentioned as being a doubt that I can recall.

Given by his own admission he's a centre half (and left sided at that) it was a weird vibe to have Bevis on the left of the CB pair - given his bombscare in the same role against Hibs in the 0-0 - and McGinley parked as an unused sub.

Edited by capt_oats

Going back to Foyle, there is every chance that the guys that pitch up at Fir Park are his 10th choices by the time folk don’t want to come north, won’t move for the money or someone else has spotted them too.

20 minutes ago, thisGRAEME said:

No, I think given a run that he would prove far more capable than those currently getting game time in front of him. 

In what he's shown in his limited game time so far I'd easily have him ahead of Mugabi and Lamie. Getting down the line he's proven capable of getting a decent ball into the box. No idea what is/isn't seen in training or what is known on the inside, but for me, amongst the shite we have, he would be a starter for sure. 

4 minutes ago, 'WellDel said:

No, I think given a run that he would prove far more capable than those currently getting game time in front of him. 

In what he's shown in his limited game time so far I'd easily have him ahead of Mugabi and Lamie. Getting down the line he's proven capable of getting a decent ball into the box. No idea what is/isn't seen in training or what is known on the inside, but for me, amongst the shite we have, he would be a starter for sure. 

I posted that somewhere too.  But I feel I’ve never seen him two games in a row.  Everyone else has had a chance to fail, why not him?

4 hours ago, capt_oats said:

It's going to need someone to come in and be absolutely fucking brutal. If you've been making mistakes all season...get to f**k. If you've made absolutely zero impact on the team by now...get to f**k. None of this try to improve players - we need a bunch of legitimately good signings in the door, not only that we need folk in who are going to start setting some good fucking standards.

I have waited a while to see this meltdown. 
But I could not have worded it better. 
Hell I would give capt oats the job if he repeated this in his interview. 
No more Mr nice guy 👏😱