Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

There's been some really good analysis on here over the past 3-4 days, a very interesting read.

My feeling following Saturday is that things inside the dressing room are significantly worse than I thought they were. I really hate cliche football fan patter but from looking at the performances/comments made I really do now feel that there is a bad attitude within the club at the moment.

In short, I thnk we have a combination of the below within the team:

• Players who think they are better than they are - Long, Polworth, Hastie, O'Hara, Gallagher
  • Players who would rather be elsewhere/are looking for a move -  McGinley, SOD, Gallagher, Campbell, Cole
  • Players who aren't good enough - Lamie, Seedorf, White, Crawford, Chapman, Mugabi, Maguire

You can add or remove based on your own perception but the general idea remains the same. Sure, you will often have elements of this within any squad but at the moment we have far too many guys that just don't have the right quality or mentality to play for the club.

We need someone through the door ASAP who can get the right characters and quality into this team. We have the bones of a decent team but the problem for me is even the guys who are good enough aren't fully commited to Motherwell past this season. We need a manager who will properly motivate the existing players as well as bringing in new ones.

As a general rule, I am normally against the run of the mill short-term type appointment but on this occasion I'd be quite happy with that. Someone like Tommy Wright would be fine, come in and steady the ship. Shitfest until the summer and regroup. My preferred option would be to go for someone in between that, someone with a bit more ambition that might do the short-term bit but also actually build something. Clearly not going to be a popular choice with some but someone in the mould of Malky Mackay for example.

On a more general note - and this is something that has been bothering me for a wee while - I don't think the balance is right in terms of the benefit we are seeing from youth development. I really think we need to do more to get more benefit out of the talented young players we produce. At the moment, we seem to be getting very limited playing time out of boys who are then snapped up for a fee or more increasingly a compensation package. This money then appears to go directly into the 'clear the debt' fund. I understand our model is to develop players and move them on for money, but we need to do more to try and get more out of this either through more game time sooner for young players or actually reinvesting some of the money in the playing squad. If you don't do this, what you find is you reach a point where the well is run dry and fans start to question where all this money has gone.

Edited by Luke92

There's been some really good analysis on here over the past 3-4 days, a very interesting read.
My feeling following Saturday is that things inside the dressing room are significantly worse than I thought they were. I really hate cliche football fan patter but from looking at the performances/comments made I really do now feel that there is a bad attitude within the club at the moment.
In short, I thnk we have a combination of the below within the team:
  • Players who think they are better than they are - Long, Polworth, Hastie, O'Hara, Gallagher
  • Players who would rather be elsewhere/are looking for a move -  McGinley, SOD, Gallagher, Campbell, Cole
  • Players who aren't good enough - Lamie, Seedorf, White, Crawford, Chapman, Mugabi, Maguire
You can add or remove based on your own perception but the general idea remains the same. Sure, you will often have elements of this within any squad but at the moment we have far too many guys that just don't have the right quality or mentality to play for the club.
We need someone through the door ASAP who can get the right characters and quality into this team. We have the bones of a decent team but the problem for me is even the guys who are good enough aren't fully commited to Motherwell past this season. We need a manager who will properly motivate the existing players as well as bringing in new ones.
As a general rule, I am normally against the run of the mill short-term type appointment but on this occasion I'd be quite happy with that. Someone like Tommy Wright would be fine, come in and steady the ship. Shitfest until the summer and regroup. My preferred option would be to go for someone in between that, someone with a bit more ambition that might do the short-term bit but also actually build something. Clearly not going to be a popular choice with some but someone in the mould of Malky Mackay for example.
On a more general note - and this is something that has been bothering me for a wee while - I don't think the balance is right in terms of the benefit we are seeing from youth development. I really think we need to do more to get more benefit out of the talented young players we produce. At the moment, we seem to be getting very limited playing time out of boys who are then snapped up for a fee or more increasingly a compensation package. This money then appears to go directly into the 'clear the debt' fund. I understand our model is to develop players and move them on for money, but we need to do more to try and get more out of this either through more game time sooner for young players or actually reinvesting some of the money in the playing squad. If you don't do this, what you find is you reach a point where the well is run dry and fans start to question where all this money has gone.

I think your comment about the mix of players we have is absolutely spot on.

We’re badly missing a few players in the mould of Hartley and Tait (not necessarily those individuals) being experienced professionals where - without being negative - Motherwell is their level and they stick around for 3-4 years and set standards in the dressing room. It was Las and Hammell doing that before Tait and Hartley.

As@Luke92 points out we have a squad of players that either don’t want to be here, think they’re too good for here or simply aren’t good enough, and this mix has resulted in what we’re being served up on a Saturday.

I didn’t really like the comments from Gallagher in a Not the Old Firm article today about players growing up and not being wee boys. I wonder if relieving himself of the pressure of being captain might make his own performances better like Carl McHugh did a few seasons ago.

3 minutes ago, Gianfranco said:

I didn’t really like the comments from Gallagher in a Not the Old Firm article today about players growing up and not being wee boys. I wonder if relieving himself of the pressure of being captain might make his own performances better like Carl McHugh did a few seasons ago.

I just wonder how long that attitude has been prevalent in the dressing room and if the high head yin’s were aware of it.

If they were and let it drag on hoping it would sort itself out then I would be asking questions,  if not I would still be asking the question why not.

We needed to sort this out weeks ago.

1 hour ago, Luke92 said:

We essentially need to appoint 2017 Stephen Robinson again

8 hours ago, 0Neils40yarder said:

The Lasley 4 games thing, was oot the windae at half time on Saturday 

While I have no desire to give him 4 games either, I doubt if José Mourhino himself could have coached a decent result out of our current squad at two days' notice.

Edited by Gallus Numpty

46 minutes ago, Gallus Numpty said:

While I have no desire to give him 4 games either, I doubt if José Mourhino himself could have coached a decent result out of our current squad at two days' notice.

Wait...hes not been part of the coaching team for the past 3years?

Also...the fact he started Chapman, is enough on it's own to ring alarm bells.

2 minutes ago, 0Neils40yarder said:

Wait...hes not been part of the coaching team for the past 3years?

Also...the fact he started Chapman, is enough on it's own to ring alarm bells.

I don’t blame him for starting Chapman, I hope he would have at least considered taking him off at half time, if he starts him on Saturday it is the same as a resignation.

4 hours ago, dezz said:

don’t want to be here, think they’re too good for here or simply aren’t good enough

I think there undoubtedly players that fit this mould at the club - but you could argue that it's by design given that we openly sell the club to players on the basis that we will get them a move to a "better" club as soon as we can. This model has arguably served us well when you think of guys like Moult, Marvin Johnson & Cedric and so we need to be careful about jettisoning everything because we are in a bad place at the moment.

I guess the main problem with our model is when players don't get the promised move on the timetable that they expect (and it's not restricted to us as I think Celtic have arguably suffered in the same way). I would assume that players like Gallagher and Long were hoping/expecting to be offski in the summer rather than another season with us and that doesn't help with their motivation. 

Obviously a clever player knows that if they throw their toys out the pram/spend a season looking disinterested, it harms their chances of getting their dream move to the English lower leagues and so they should dry their eyes and get on with it.

40 minutes ago, ropy said:

I don’t blame him for starting Chapman, I hope he would have at least considered taking him off at half time, if he starts him on Saturday it is the same as a resignation.

Chapman was firmly in the "not for me" category before Saturday. But I do understand why Lasley started him even though we had Morrison available. You've got an older keeper available and it's a high pressure game. Perhaps he was hesitant to through Morrison to the wolves. To be absolutely clear, I would have started Morrison. I am not defending that big cart horse Chapman. 

But aye, if he starts Chapman at the weekend that's him basically chucking it. 

5 hours ago, Luke92 said:

McGinley and Cole don't wanna be here? Did I miss that?

On the goalkeeping front, anyone else heard anything about Liam Kelly coming in on loan from QPR?

Apparently, he’s about to head back to Scotland for some regular football. That’s why QPR have recalled the keeper they had on loan at Hibs. 

Would make sense if Carson is humped, plus he fits in nicely with the friends of Declan signing policy.