Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

26 minutes ago, capt_oats said:
Simon Grayson's name has appeared on the bookies list.
I take it he's the 4th guy.
394557135_ScreenShot2021-01-05at14_28_23.png.299132f7dde360ce5cd87a04cd617e30.png

Combining his last 3 football league jobs:
He’s won 19 out of 70...

Edited by ZX1886

14 hours ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

This whole thing is really confusing to me tbh. I don't imagine we signed Gallagher under any pretences of him being anything other than a first choice centre half- so there's a 99.9% chance he'd end up playing at least 25 games this season unless he got injured. Surely he was aware he was effectively signing a 3 year contract in 2019? 

Seems pretty daft from whoever was advising him to agree to the clause if he had his eye on a big move this summer. Especially as he'd presumably have had good offers from Livi and St Johnstone.

It pissed me off and I'm not even a Motherwell fan.

On Gallagher, I presume he's pushing for a move to Celtic before Lennon is punted, so this window is likely his best shot.

New manager might not fancy him + Jullien back from injury.

I get the impression that at the time of signing, Gallagher wanted the clause as much as we did. Between his age, personal life and the fact he'd only played one full season in the top flight before joining, he probably wanted extra security.

He's essentially became a victim of his own international success and that's not Motherwell's fault.

I understand that he has concerns about his euros place whilst playing alongside Mugabi, Lamie et al, but a good leader would drag them up, not sink to their level as he has. How he has gone about it in the press absolutely stinks though, right down to the "gun to his head" patter.

19 minutes ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

The first half of Grayson's Wikipedia actually seems fairly impressive tbf. Promoted with 3 or 4 different teams and beat Man United at Old Trafford with Leeds. Couldn't really be arsed reading the rest though so no idea what he's done since then.

He's manager at the start of the first season of Sunderland Til I Die, doesn't last long though.

16 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

He's manager at the start of the first season of Sunderland Til I Die, doesn't last long though.

He comes across as a good man who loves his football, however he doesn't know the league and am not convinced he's the personality that we need. Sunderland, although on a different scale for us, seemed to suffer from similar problems to us now. Some talented players but many of whom didn't want to be there and weren't giving their all for the club.

For me, our team just seems to need a major boot up the arse. I think we can all agree that at this point in time Lasley isn't the man. I don't know what Graeme Alexander is like personality-wise but I can't see him being the not-taking-any-nonsense type for lack of a better phrase. 

Of those four, my choice would be Tommy Wright, knows the league and suspect his managerial style is what we need at the moment. This appointment is all about staying in the league which unfortunately for the most part means making the best of what we have at the moment. There's a lot of underperforming talent in our squad who don't seem to be giving it their all and Tommy Wright for me comes across as a guy who could rectify that. 

Edited by Mr Hahn

55 minutes ago, Mr Hahn said:

He comes across as a good man who loves his football, however he doesn't know the league and am not convinced he's the personality that we need. Sunderland, although on a different scale for us, seemed to suffer from similar problems to us now. Some talented players but many of whom didn't want to be there and weren't giving their all for the club.

For me, our team just seems to need a major boot up the arse. I think we can all agree that at this point in time Lasley isn't the man. I don't know what Graeme Alexander is like personality-wise but I can't see him being the not-taking-any-nonsense type for lack of a better phrase. 

Of those four, my choice would be Tommy Wright, knows the league and suspect his managerial style is what we need at the moment. This appointment is all about staying in the league which unfortunately for the most part means making the best of what we have at the moment. There's a lot of underperforming talent in our squad who don't seem to be giving it their all and Tommy Wright for me comes across as a guy who could rectify that. 

I am on record saying I would be fine with Tommy Wright as Manager. Did well at a club in Scotland with similar resources. He has had time to reset and get his appetite back for management and the game. As an added plus it would annoy a few farmers in Perthshire...

But I Q if our squad only needs a rollocking and kick up the arse.  It looks as if two or three of our better players may move this window and hopefully two or three of our poorer players. So we also need someone who has experience and a knowledge of where we could get such talent to improve our squad at such short notice. Graham Alexander has a decent track record in management is incredibly experienced in terms of playing - nearly 900 senior games and 40 International caps. He would have contacts and knowledge of players that we could afford and could do a better job. 

To be honest I would be happy with either as our next manager. Q somebody nobody has spoken about or an outsider 🙂

14 minutes ago, Gianfranco said:

I’m leaning towards Alexander but either him or Tommy Wright would be fine.

I tend to agree. I think either would do a job for us. 
I have a bad feeling that we’re going to wake up to Motherwell’s Twitter posting this tomorrow though...

BB77912B-71C4-4369-9FF4-9964D4547867.jpeg.7f7cbc6f02ddafec69b4573b3bd0dda6.jpeg

Edited by ZX1886