Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

16 minutes ago, well fan for life said:

Don't tell me Elliot Frear's turning out to be a shitebag with hamstrings made out of wet cardboard? Nobody could have seen this coming. 

Fortunately our attacking options we've signed on loan from Hearts over the years have usually worked out well. Can't see how this could go wrong.

Reveal hidden contents

gina torres usa GIF by Suits

He's not been too injury prone, just nowhere near good enough.  He looks like he actually has a decent bit pace and not bad delivery but never looks like showing it properly, he's far, far too timid to be a winger.  Scored a couple of goals at least which is more than Roberts done.  And now with new signings I assume Frear will be 4th choice.

I guess that would have been from Millwall? Glad Campbell is staying. We'll get a decent training fee in the summer and him helping us to safety is likely worth more to the club than whatever the level of bid was. 

16 minutes ago, dezz said:

I would have thought so. We didn't bring in any new central midfielders (other than make Robbie Crawford's loan permanent) so I reckon he'll be back in there along with Campbell and Polworth when he's back fit. 

Aye, I don't see Foley being anything other than cover in the midfield. If Cornelius is loaned out and we're not rushing Donnelly back then I'd say O'Hara's still around the starting XI - maybe not every week but most.

20 minutes ago, dezz said:

I guess that would have been from Millwall? Glad Campbell is staying. We'll get a decent training fee in the summer and him helping us to safety is likely worth more to the club than whatever the level of bid was. 

If by substantial it was little more than the Training compensation due then I understand us turning away such an offer and made this very argument a week or so ago.

But his performance these past few weeks have not been the best and you begin to wonder if this may have had something to do with it ? 

It is hopefully a sign that there will be at least one club prepared to pay us the £500k come the end of the season as I very much doubt Campbell will be staying on past the summer. Hopefully he can get his head down and get back to the player we know he is. 

Edited by welldaft

47 minutes ago, Tony Wonder said:

That'd make sense if Neilson hadn't managed to get other players playing well on the wing.  Roberts has slipped behind Frear in the pecking order, and he is hopeless. It's not Robbie's fault Roberts has absolutely no heart or desire.

"No heart or desire" we can work on, all sorts of reasons that can happen to anyone at any given club. Sometimes a change of scenery and a different boss can make all the difference.

Edited by Gallus Numpty

Hopefully the lower leagues get back up and running and our boys who have been training will be attractive prospects to boost squads that have been furloughed.  Unless we cancelled contracts yesterday, anyone leaving now cannot re-register with a new club till the summer.  Or am I missing a route players can take?

5 minutes ago, Gallus Numpty said:

"No heart or desire" we can work on, all sorts of reasons that can happen to anyone at any given club. Sometimes a change of scenery and a different boss can make all the difference.

Quite possibly, but it's the same criticisms he seemed to arrive at Hearts with.  He just never looked up for it, even against Hibs in a Scottish Cup Semi he didn't look fired up. I hope he does well though, if he goes to you and performs it's good for us as we get back a more confident player in the summer who can get another crack at it. Or at least a player who's easier to move on.

59 minutes ago, Casagolda said:

As others have said, I'm lost a bit at Roberts. Don't get me wrong he's exactly the kind of guy I could see us taking a punt on in other circumstances, however when we already have an abundance of -pacey, anywhere across the front 3 types- you wonder what he's bringing to the table we don't already have. Likewise this young centre back from Blackburn, when we already have three International centre backs on the books. Can only assume after having had a chance to have a look at everyone, Alexander is seriously not impressed with squad he inherited outside the starting 11 or so- which is absolutely fair.

Given we held on to SOD's, Gallagher and Campbell, plus added a competent keeper, winger and a bit of experience, I'd say we look stronger now than when the window opened. However as has been mentioned, that squad is fucking massive and there's a lot of short term fixes there.

It's hard to see anything but another complete overhaul in the summer. 

On Roberts, there was some chat over the weekend about Seedorf being away. If that is the case then I'd say it makes a bit more sense.

Overall though I think it's absolutely fair for Alexander to have looked at the starting XI and thought...fine? Then looked at the rest of the squad and baulked.

Clearly not seen his press conference but Alexander saying his best business of the window is retaining players speaks to that (presumably he's talking about Campbell, Gallagher and O'Donnell rather than the bold Sherwin or Lamie).

Edited by capt_oats

4 minutes ago, rowsdower said:

Does a player not need to be released before the window closes to enable him to sign for another club? I can see a bunch of loans happening, but probably not many releases. 

Aye, although the club can announce it whenever.

Accies just announced Collar's away 20 mins ago for example.

7 hours ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

I think it's a bit mental folk are writing off a winger because Robbie fucking Neilson couldn't get a tune out of him btw.

I'm struggling to think of any players who didn't do well for us under Neilson and then went on to be more successful elsewhere. Danny Swanson maybe, but there might have been other reasons for that (and he also failed at Hibs).

On the other hand, I can think of quite a few players he signed who just weren't very good. Motherwell might have taken a couple of them on loan.

2 hours ago, dezz said:

Bienkowski suggesting that it was indeed Millwall who offered the "substantial" amount.

So from the point Robinson chucked it our squad changes have been:

OUT: Callum Lang (loan recalled, Wigan), Jordan Archer (contract expired, Middlesborough), Jordan White (permanent, Ross County)

IN: Liam Kelly (loan, QPR), Steven Lawleff (permanent, Burton Albion), Harry Smith (loan, Northampton), Sam Foley (permanent, St Mirren), Jordan Roberts (loan, Hearts), Eddie Nolan (loan, Crewe Alexandra), Tyler Magloire (loan, Blackburn Rovers)

Loans recalled: Peter Morrison (Falkirk), Jamie Semple (Cove Rangers), Harry Robinson (Queen of the South), Ross MacIver (Morton)

:lol:

Edited by capt_oats

4 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

So from the point Robinson chucked it our squad changes have been:

OUT: Callum Lang (loan recalled, Wigan), Jordan White (permanent, Ross County)

IN: Liam Kelly (loan, QPR), Steven Lawleff (permanent, Burton Albion), Harry Smith (loan, Northampton), Sam Foley (permanent, St Mirren), Jordan Roberts (loan, Hearts), Eddie Nolan (loan, Crewe Alexandra), Tyler Magloire (loan, Blackburn Rovers)

Loans recalled: Peter Morrison (Falkirk), Jamie Semple (Cove Rangers), Harry Robinson (Queen of the South), Ross MacIver (Morton)

:lol:

i think the signings tell us that Grimshaw has not recovered from Covid, Mark O'Hara is going to be out for a while and Donnelly is not making a miraculous recovery.