Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

I'm the kind of sap that will pretty much pay anything for away games but our performances* at Livi have been mind numbingly awful recently that I'm not sure I can bring myself to pay £25 to watch it.**

*I realise that the 2-0 win happened last season - but if I wasn't there, it doesn't count :)

**but probably will

2 hours ago, Ron Aldo said:

I genuinely haven't seen a better looking (potential) Motherwell player. Keith Lasley might need to accept runner up in the most handsome category for the first time in a while.

First time I've had a stauner reading this thread that didn't involve Lionel's goal at Ibrox.

8 hours ago, capt_oats said:

It looks like he's playing left side of the CB pair. So that seems like a positive.

FWIW WyScout have him as a right footed LCB, but they can be erratic about getting the players strong foot correct. They have Greg Stewart as a right footer, for instance.

download.thumb.png.65dcc90665de1f86a5617b1537e1c88f.png

Looks for all the world like hes just a old fashioned CB who sticks his head on everything, passes the ball to someone better, then attacks set plays. One worry would be he doesn't seem a great 1v1 defender, so hes likely slow.

Is this the bit where you show us Lamie's diagram and it turns out we only like Johansen because he's foreign and good looking?

He does look to be right footed, unless one pass in a 10 minute highlight video counts as two footed. He also passes with his head.

Edited by rowsdower
Footedness

1 hour ago, Desp said:

Didn't we charge Hibs fans £24 on the opening day? It's an absolute farce all round, tbf. 

I always like a day out at Tynecastle but I'm already dreading what we're going to get charged when we go there in October. 

This is it. All of this.

I am often bitching about away price tickets but we charge just as much. I just don't see it. It's a lot of shite and I wonder where it ends.

We've been talking about a big day out for Tynecastle but as Desp said the ticket prices will be ridiculous. I am sure hearts have tiered prices but often do the snidey thing of selling the dear seats only and they were about £26 3 years ago.

9 minutes ago, rowsdower said:

Is this the bit where you show us Lamie's diagram and it turns out we only like Johansen because he's foreign and good looking?

Lamie, on paper, comes out this better than Johansen in terms of duels. He actually won a lot of 1v1 battles with strikers either in the air or on the ground last season. Understand the criticism that'll bring of my system, but it is what it is.

Lamie gives away an incredible amount of fouls though, is worse in possession than Johansen, and also far less of a threat in the opponents box, so guess its all about balance and what you want. "Creator" can be a bit weird for CBs so I wouldn't read a huge amount into that one. It also affects the 3 "scores" at the top, which I hadn't noticed before and is a bit annoying.

Lamie.thumb.png.13dd259259dd6593f9580d58b37bbefa.png

36 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

FWIW WyScout have him as a right footed LCB, but they can be erratic about getting the players strong foot correct. They have Greg Stewart as a right footer, for instance.

download.thumb.png.65dcc90665de1f86a5617b1537e1c88f.png

Looks for all the world like hes just a old fashioned CB who sticks his head on everything, passes the ball to someone better, then attacks set plays. One worry would be he doesn't seem a great 1v1 defender, so hes likely slow.

Nah, they've definitely got his strong foot correct.

That 10 min video from YouTube has him clearly playing LCB but his distribution is almost entirely with his right.

In an ideal world I'd prefer a left footer playing on the left side but if he's comfortable there (and he's been playing there at the top level in Norway) then it's fine with me.

As I said in a post earlier, I'm just into having an alternative to Lamie because as far as I can see we don't have one at the moment. Mugabi isn't comfortable playing on the left of a pair and as far as I'm aware Ojala's right sided as well...after that you're looking at inexperienced players like O'Connor who's also right sided.

The only other left footed CB we have (I think) is McGinley who pretty much seems to be viewed as a back-up left back now.

For all Lamie gets criticism the biggest flaw in his game is that he's inconsistent and prone to completely switching off. In terms of actual attributes there's actually areas where there's a fair amount to like about him.

Given Alexander's preference seems to be for his centre backs to just defend their box an old fashioned stopper is pretty much a good fit.

Edited by capt_oats

Had assumed that Gotts would've signed for someone by now given the relative silence on that front in the last week or so. Seems to still be simmering in the background.

https://tbrfootball.com/report-club-join-pursuit-for-leeds-21-year-old-hes-likely-to-leave-on-loan/

Gotts and a Norwegian and I'd be relatively happy with our dealings this window.

Not much on t' telly tonight, so watching a bit of the Blackpool v Coventry game. Don't know which set of supporters it is, but there's been a quality rendition of twist and shout going on for about the last 5 mins.

Some amount of supports seem to have picked this up ,along with their own versions of SIWY and 'hauns' since they first came to prominence in ML1.

Yet another sign of our fitba culture influence and massive box office appeal imo.

Edit to add - it seems to be the Cov fans.

Edited by 'WellDel

Not much on t' telly tonight, so watching a bit of the Blackpool v Coventry game. Don't know which set of supporters it is, but there's been a quality rendition of twist and shout going on for about the last 5 mins.
Some amount of supports seem to have picked this up ,along with their own versions of SIWY and 'hauns' since they first came to prominence in ML1.
Yet another sign of our fitba culture influence and massive box office appeal imo.

Coventry have been singing it for awhile now.

Yes and they’ve been doing it a lot longer than we have in ML1

48 minutes ago, steelman1991 said:

Yes and they’ve been doing it a lot longer than we have in ML1

Now taking this info on board and realising that we have possibly picked it up from them.?

However, SIWY and hauns still make us big time players. Unless anyone is going to shatter the illusion and tell me that we adopted these ones too?

Now taking this info on board and realising that we have possibly picked it up from them.?
However, SIWY and hauns still make us big time players. Unless anyone is going to shatter the illusion and tell me that we adopted these ones too?

Think a lot has been borrowed from the continent, seems to be a few who argue that teams in France and Greece did the “hauns” thing long before us. I tend to agree.

‘Since I was young’ however has always been unique and I’m with you in thinking it’s original to Motherwell. I remember it originally being teams up here like Hearts and St Johnstone that copied it but even a few weeks ago I heard Charlton Athletic singing it on Sky vs Sheffield Wednesday. Everybody does it now but I’ve never heard an earlier version than ours.