Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

Am I right in thinking that’s the second time since he joined that Ojalla has gone off with a groin injury?

Worrying if so as it would suggest it’s either a weakness or he’s going to need to miss time for surgery to repair it if we only rested him before.

Tierney sounds like an exciting addition, and I'm interested to see how he slots in given he's apparently more of a #10. I genuinely think an Andy Rose type would make a massive difference to our midfield right now though- make of that what you will.

Anyway,a game where we played horrendously but still scored two. I think with the style of play Alexander employs we're never far away from looking pretty handy or utter shite at any given moment.

Edited by YassinMoutaouakil

Andy Rose is one of the most under rated players we've had in my 20 odd years supporting Motherwell. He was very good at the simple things which tend to go unnoticed but because he wasn't scoring screamers every week or taking bodies with every tackle some of the morons in our support seemed to have it in for him.

37 minutes ago, thisGRAEME said:

One of our three central midfielders was harassed into playing a forward pass and we scored, yes.

There's been a couple of occasions recently where Grimshaw has a pass on forward. SOD bombed forward and it was on before Grimshaw done his usual turning back to pass it to the keeper. Got to hope this Irish lad turns out to be at all creative or we've got a full season of this unbalanced mess. 

1 minute ago, Ron Aldo said:

Andy Rose is one of the most under rated players we've had in my 20 odd years supporting Motherwell. He was very good at the simple things which tend to go unnoticed but because he wasn't scoring screamers every week or taking bodies with every tackle some of the morons in our support seemed to have it in for him.

Andy Rose was class. Loads of folk gave him a hard time but he was quietly great for us. In that Aberdeen smile final he was arguably our best player. Didn't do anything spectacular but won a load of tackles and gave the ball to a Motherwell player. 

8 hours ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

Tierney sounds like an exciting addition, and I'm interested to see how he slots in given he's apparently more of a #10. I genuinely think an Andy Rose type would make a massive difference to our midfield right now though- make of that what you will.

Anyway,a game where we played horrendously but still scored two. I think with the style of play Alexander employs we're never far away from looking pretty handy or utter shite at any given moment.

Say what you like about Alexander's style (and there's a lot to litigate there) that's Tony Tony Watt now top scorer in the league with 7 in 11 and a shot accuracy of 79%. He's averaging a goal every 129 mins and has now been responsible for 50% of our 14 goals.

Spoiler

1351702846_ScreenShot2021-10-28at09_29_04.thumb.png.8bb718e301bd54f683df29c92fc68ebe.png

The fact that he also turned Decanter into a 1 in 2 striker when he came in last season suggests that through some witchcraft Alexander's actually quite good at getting goals out of our centre forwards.

Noting that neither Cole nor Watt were previously known for being particularly prolific goalscorers makes it quite the coincidence that the purple patches we've seen from both has coincided with them having Alexander as their manager.

Generally though, if we could get back to not doing really dumb stuff defensively and making really weird decisions that would be lovely.

Edited by capt_oats

1 hour ago, Ron Aldo said:

With our support, no matter how good the team is - there needs to be one player that is deemed shite - it's the rules.

I get Alexander's gameplan to an extent. Happy enough to concede possession and draw the opposition forward, then limit them to shots from distance and crosses into the box that are nullified by resolute defending and a combative midfield, in turn creating space to break and get our forwards in behind their defence. 

When your midfielders and wingbacks are dugmeat that plan tends to fall down a little. Substandard midfield constantly overrun with only Slattery being remotely creative, and nothing at all down the lines from SOD or McGinley.  Felt quite sorry for Shields, he never had a great deal of impact last night, but that was through no real fault of his own or lack of endeavour. He covered a lot of ground and did a lot of good work in harrying and shutting down defenders, but received no service whatsoever.

With 5 points from the last 18, and a tough few games coming up, Alexander needs to find a fix quickly or that wee cushion from the bottom sides will soon be eroded.

That's why I thought three points last night were paramount.

You'd say on paper, the easiest game in that lot is Dundee away and we've already lost up there this season in the cup. You would probably say in that run of seven fixtures, we'll be placed as underdogs in at least five, maybe six of them.