Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

8 hours ago, Busta Nut said:

Anyone had a meltdown yet? Some of the shit I see on twitter is fuckin wild.

I’ll sit this one out, it is the wife’s birthday and I can tell her I have prioritised her over the football.

She won’t believe me.

At the start of the season, everyone's password got reset to their season ticket number, even if you had chosen your own password last season. I know that's bound to trip a few up when they go to watch the Livi game.

I'm all for bringing the winter break forward. Makes perfect sense when COVID cases are rife and fans wouldn't be allowed in. Would be annoying if we played Livi, County and St Mirren with no fans then that ban got lifted as we had a few free Saturdays.

1 hour ago, crazylegsjoe_mfc said:

I'm all for bringing the winter break forward. Makes perfect sense when COVID cases are rife and fans wouldn't be allowed in. Would be annoying if we played Livi, County and St Mirren with no fans then that ban got lifted as we had a few free Saturdays.

Aye, we're in a position where we have a break built into the season so in the circumstances bringing it forward a week and seeking to reschedule the 3 matches is entirely logical. I watched some of the European games that were back to being played behind closed doors the other week and honestly, get that in the fucking bin.

So it's no real surprise that it's the **** who are objecting to and actively obstructing a perfectly rational solution that the majority of the Premiership clubs are behind.

Speaking very specifically about Motherwell, maybe it's a result of having no actual derby but bringing the break forward isn't something I'm ready to get bent out of shape over. It's an obvious fix and I'm fully on board with it.

We're in a position where 2 of the 3 games are away from home and the one fixture at Fir Park is against Livi which, with all due respect to Livi and their fans, I can't imagine is a massive money-spinner (even allowing for a bump in the home gate if folk are back in the ML postcode for Christmas).

I don't know, but from the club POV I'd imagine the players would rather head up to Dingwall in a midweek in Spring than in the middle of December. Also, the fact that we had players driving individually to Parkhead in their motors the other week means avoiding having some Motherwell convoy travelling north then having to fulfil the fixture is probably preferable where possible.

Edited by capt_oats

5 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

Aye, we're in a position where we have a break built into the season so in the circumstances bringing it forward a week and seeking to reschedule the 3 matches is entirely logical. 

So I spent a bit of time trying to match-up dates with this and I think I'm right in saying that it sounds easy, but isny.

I think the only space for an additional round of fixtures is 1st & 2nd Feb, which, as we're aware, probably won't have fans in anyway. 

The rest of February has Rangers and Celtic in European action, so the games can't fit there mid-week.

March has a mid-week early doors already. The rest of March is ruled out through, again, European ties and WC Play-offs.

April has potential dates, but if either Rangers or Celtic progress; that's fucked, and in addition - April you begin the split, so all the fixtures before that probably need to be completed (some have been done post split before, but it's rare because broadly they would normally have an impact.)

I would assume there's an additional problem of fitting in an Edinburgh Derby, a Dundee Derby and an Old Firm/Glasgow Derby (take your pick) on a mid-week card from a policing resource point of view.

The season can't be extended because it ends and goes right into nations league matches.

Should either of Rangers or Celtic go deep into European competition (I mean, not a Motherwell problem so who cares) and the Scottish Cup (again, not our problem and ideally to our benefit) then it gets even more convoluted as there's the potential of them having to play the semis of that, all post split fixtures in a month, then two finals in about 3 days.

Depending on the impact of Omicron throughout member Associations, UEFA's hand may be forced. Based on the past 2 years, I think we can all agree nothing is set in stone.

The BBC article mentions 10 clubs are in favour of moving the break forward. Who's the two outliers and what's their rationale? Us, Celtic, Hibs, Dundee United and Livvy have all expressed a desire I have gleaned from reading a few. I'm guessing one is the Orc's in Govan as going against the majority is now their modus operandi.

Moving the break feels like more hassle than its worth tbh. I wouldn't be surprised if the 500 fans cap is eventually extended to Spring and we end up playing just as many games behind closed doors, while having to deal with weather postponements, covid cancellations and European fixtures too.

9 minutes ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

I wouldn't be surprised if the 500 fans cap is eventually extended to Spring and we end up playing just as many games behind closed doors, while having to deal with weather postponements, covid cancellations and European fixtures too.

I would. For me if the decisions are data driven then fine. So far all we know is that Omicron is far more transmissible than any former Covid variant. But also early evidence from S Africa points to it being a lesser problem when it comes to actual illness and subsequent hospitalisations. 

I understand the need to act now until we get concrete data and analysis. But to extend these measure beyond the “up to 3 weeks” proposed had better come with hard facts. 

17 minutes ago, welldaft said:

I would. For me if the decisions are data driven then fine. So far all we know is that Omicron is far more transmissible than any former Covid variant. But also early evidence from S Africa points to it being a lesser problem when it comes to actual illness and subsequent hospitalisations. 

I understand the need to act now until we get concrete data and analysis. But to extend these measure beyond the “up to 3 weeks” proposed had better come with hard facts. 

This is all true, but I think with regards to football a lot of Scottish Government policy is optics first, data second. Fingers crossed though.

that's the covid cases doubled again as well, from 5700 yesterday, to 2500 today.

This all felt inevitable and I don't doubt how hard it is to get it right, Football and the events sector in general is an easy target, rightly or wrongly. For me, there are so many inconsistencies, the games going ahead tonight for example.

The most disappointing thing for me, is missing out on my first trip to DIngwall, which in the grand scheme of things really doesn't matter that much.

3 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

Still can't see him joining us, but there seems to be more in this than just Tam Cowan talking shite:

https://www.thecourier.co.uk/fp/sport/football/dundee-fc/2847159/tony-watt-dundee-james-mcpake-motherwell/

I think it's come from Peter Martin on PLZ, I'd imagine that's where Cowan's picked it up from.

Martin was named as the source when the rumour appeared on afc chat.

1775543044_ScreenShot2021-12-22at14_32_01.thumb.png.b4496571910d6db7eccfd76d1ca45bee.png

I mean, I'm sure there are a lot of clubs in Scotland interested given he's out of contract at the end of the season.

2 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

Still can't see him joining us, but there seems to be more in this than just Tam Cowan talking shite:

https://www.thecourier.co.uk/fp/sport/football/dundee-fc/2847159/tony-watt-dundee-james-mcpake-motherwell/

This from the Express seemed to suggest the opposite to me.  

https://www.scottishdailyexpress.co.uk/sport/football/dundee-boss-james-mcpake-weighs-25758622

It was claimed on national radio at the weekend that the Dark Blues were one of the teams who were keen to land Watt.

McPake said: “I like Tony, he’s a good player.

“He stays not far from me, maybe that’s Tam Cowan’s link.

“He’s the top scorer in the league so I think there will be a lot of teams after Tony Watt, he’s a good player.”

I reckon the truth is probably somewhere inbetween, Scottish Football is a small place so Dundee will know what Watt is after and would be daft not to offer him it if they think they can, but aye I can't see him rocking up at Dens next season.

2 minutes ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

This from the Express seemed to suggest the opposite to me.  

https://www.scottishdailyexpress.co.uk/sport/football/dundee-boss-james-mcpake-weighs-25758622

I've made an arse quoting this and can't edit it on mobile, hopefully it's clear where James McPake ends and I begin.

It's mad what a wee spell of good form does for a player. We had him on trial in the Championship and knocked him back with most fans leaning to not wanting him. Less than 18 month later he'd be seen as a major coup for pretty much most clubs outside the obvious 2 in Scotland and likely to earn a decent wedge down South.

12 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

It's mad what a wee spell of good form does for a player. We had him on trial in the Championship and knocked him back with most fans leaning to not wanting him. Less than 18 month later he'd be seen as a major coup for pretty much most clubs outside the obvious 2 in Scotland and likely to earn a decent wedge down South.

Genuine question, did you actually have him on trial or was that not some fantasist on TDB Forum who had him as 100% signing or was he on trial with Dundee before that (that thread is a great re-read btw).

The timeline seemed to go that he sacked off CSKA in January 20 and the first report of him being "on trial" with us was 5th February 20 and he signed on the 7th.

He did a podcast with Danny Denholm last year and briefly talked about signing - he never mentioned having been on trial with any other clubs (which isn't to say he wasn't).

The implication was that we had him in for a look around and there was a deal on the table for him the next day.

Edited by capt_oats

7 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

Genuine question, did you actually have him on trial or was that not some fantasist on TDB Forum who had him as 100% signing or was he on trial with Dundee before that (that thread is a great re-read btw).

The timeline seemed to go that he sacked off CSKA in January 20 and the first report of him being "on trial" with us was 5th February 20 and he signed on the 7th.

He did a podcast with Danny Denholm last year and briefly talked about signing - he never mentioned having been on trial with any other clubs (which isn't to say he wasn't).

The implication was that we had him in for a look around and there was a deal on the table for him the next day.

He was definitely training with us when Jimmy Boyle was running the Youth team and McPake was his assistant. Dunno if McCann ever had any interest in him or not though. Might have been more down to the Boyle and Watt link and just kept him ticking over. He eventually signed for St Johnstone so it was before the period you mention.

There were rumours that he was on a more formal trial after he was punted from CSKA but as you say, that could easily just be people speaking on forums. I can't find any substance to those.