Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

14 hours ago, well fan for life said:

Big Sol looks like he's going to a very good signing. Thought he was excellent today again. 

Defensively solid (like N McGinley) but distribution wasn't great (like McGinley). 

Was impressed by Goss, Cornelius work rate too and the all round pressing game, with O Donnell dragging the defence out. 

Attacking depth might be hard to attract given Alexander's tendency to sub forwards for defenders if we're winning. Don't have the stats but you'd imagine all our attackers outside Watt, KVV and Woolery have played a lot less minutes than most backup strikers/wingers in the league.

Edited by YassinMoutaouakil

29 minutes ago, Stonegiant said:

Defensively solid (like N McGinley) but distribution wasn't great (like McGinley). 

Was impressed by Goss, Cornelius work rate too and the all round pressing game, with O Donnell dragging the defence out. 

Was it Sol that played the free kick into the space the Goss was meant to take up, it looked well worked but Goss not in tune.

I wonder to what extent Hearts see us as direct competition (or how much they view Roberts as an actual asset) and if that will play into things. Especially if it's the case that they can't loan him elsewhere and are faced with either paying him to do f**k all or letting us take on some of his wages.

7 hours ago, Swello said:

I see Nicolson is still stanning for Tommy Wright 

He's not going to shag you, mate

Enjoying @Busta Nut in the mentions.

Fowler makes a really good point here and I think it's applicable to Nicolson's "inexplicable" argument re: the Motherwell job.

The more I read the article back (and I've read it a few times recently) the more it feels like Nicolson doesn't actually *get* what the Motherwell job was/is and there's a reason why we've tended to go for a certain profile of manager (that TW is pretty much the opposite of).

In fact, in hindsight, given what was actually required and the changes that have been implemented over the summer I think Wright would probably have been a fucking terrible fit for us (which doesn't mean he was anything other than the very good manager he was for St Johnstone).

2 hours ago, crazylegsjoe_mfc said:

It’s a case of better the devil you know with extending Roberts loan for me.

He’s not amazing, but he’s useful and the chances of signing a better winger to push Woolery in January.

I would agree if Roberts is happy playing a bit part, that may not be the case. He’s a decent enough back up.

13 hours ago, Yorky said:

I would agree if Roberts is happy playing a bit part, that may not be the case. He’s a decent enough back up.

Aye, that's true. I guess sitting on the Motherwell bench is better than sitting in the Hearts stand, but he may have grander ambitions than that.

He's quite an unusual winger for me in that he makes a lot of good, simple decisions but rarely does anything spectacular. Whereas on the other hand, I feel Woolery is a bit all sugar or all shite, the way many wingers are.

1 hour ago, crazylegsjoe_mfc said:

Aye, that's true. I guess sitting on the Motherwell bench is better than sitting in the Hearts stand, but he may have grander ambitions than that.

He's quite an unusual winger for me in that he makes a lot of good, simple decisions but rarely does anything spectacular. Whereas on the other hand, I feel Woolery is a bit all sugar or all shite, the way many wingers are.

Aye, I had assumed that there may have been a reason his loan was only until January. Whether that was him wanting the option to move back South, Hearts wanting to sell him on or simply settle his deal and cut him loose so they don't need to think about him again. 

As @YassinMoutaouakil alluded to it in the post further up the page, it may be the case that Hearts can't actually move him elsewhere in January even if they wanted to. He's already played 20 mins for them in the LC group and obviously he's made appearances for us on loan - that's his 2 clubs for the season.

Which means his options are literally; sit in the stand at Tynecastle, on the bench with us or mutual his contract and he sits on his tod until summer (unless he can get a move to a club running on a different calendar).

There was a temporary change to that rule for 20/21 that allowed a player to play for 3 clubs on account of Covid but looking at FIFA's rules dated August 21 it's reverted to the original rule that you can register for 3 but only play for 2.

Spoiler

1553590592_ScreenShot2021-12-20at10_00_43.thumb.png.9c73d97a633a70a73a8ed68fb568f61e.png

Edited by capt_oats

2 hours ago, capt_oats said:

Aye, I had assumed that there may have been a reason his loan was only until January. Whether that was him wanting the option to move back South, Hearts wanting to sell him on or simply settle his deal and cut him loose so they don't need to think about him again. 

As @YassinMoutaouakil alluded to it in the post further up the page, it may be the case that Hearts can't actually move him elsewhere in January even if they wanted to. He's already played 20 mins for them in the LC group and obviously he's made appearances for us on loan - that's his 2 clubs for the season.

Which means his options are literally; sit in the stand at Tynecastle, on the bench with us or mutual his contract and he sits on his tod until summer (unless he can get a move to a club running on a different calendar).

There was a temporary change to that rule for 20/21 that allowed a player to play for 3 clubs on account of Covid but looking at FIFA's rules dated August 21 it's reverted to the original rule that you can register for 3 but only play for 2.

Reveal hidden contents

1553590592_ScreenShot2021-12-20at10_00_43.thumb.png.9c73d97a633a70a73a8ed68fb568f61e.png

I'd Imagine he'll be here for the season. Neilson doesn't seem to know what to do with him, he's an entirely decent (at least) known quantity for us.