Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

2 minutes ago, Archie McSquackle said:

Yeah, we (as in a lot of the fans, maybe not the club) were pretty desperate to sign him at one point. Were Rangers looking for us to pay too much of his wages?

We were heavily linked with him in what feels like at least 3 separate windows.

Who can forget...

459842920_ScreenShot2021-12-15at09_24_06.thumb.png.f9f1079c24a68e4de6e69246e1d01b62.png

I've no idea of the credibility of *Football League World* but they have Birmingham, Bristol City, Blackburn and Preston all interested in Watt.

Which sounds about right tbh. Championship clubs, Championship wages.

Fwiw, my take on the whole "talks break down (but amicably)" story was that our top boi has offers on the table that we can't even get close to - the club knows that, he knows that and his Mr 20% knows that so why bother going through the whole charade.

If this happens, I wonder how many players have that sort of career trajectory. Given that he was playing at English Championship level before and then was arguably on a downward path in terms of level and wages (and basically out of a job when this thread adopted him :) ) - if he then makes the step back up, it would be pretty unusual I think and he would deserve a lot of credit. 

You would probably say Watt is on track to score roughly 15 goals this season. If he hits a drought it could be a bit less, if he manages to stay consistent it could be a bit more. Unfortunately, I think our chances of keeping an out of contract, 15 goal striker, are slim to none. These days, you're lucky if half the teams in the league have someone who hits double figures over the course of a season.

The Watt of last season, who was still a very good Motherwell player, could have had the potential to stay for years, a la Craigan / Hammell / Lasley, but his form this season has been another level. At 28 as well, there's no valid argument for "stay another season and see what move you get then".

Aye, mid to lower end Championship clubs seems to about right for Tony.  If he can £10k a week, or more, there, he'll be laughing.  I was at Preston v Barnsley at the weekend and trust me, he'd do very well down there.  For the money these guys are earning, the football they produce is fucking dire.  

5 hours ago, Swello said:

If this happens, I wonder how many players have that sort of career trajectory. Given that he was playing at English Championship level before and then was arguably on a downward path in terms of level and wages (and basically out of a job when this thread adopted him :) ) - if he then makes the step back up, it would be pretty unusual I think and he would deserve a lot of credit. 

I thought Devante had been similar but looks like he was just on the books of Championship teams but always ended up loaned out back to League 1.

Still, not a bad PR boost for Graham Alexander's Striker Rehab Facility.

12 minutes ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

I thought Devante had been similar but looks like he was just on the books of Championship teams but always ended up loaned out back to League 1.

Still, not a bad PR boost for Graham Alexander's Striker Rehab Facility.

Looked him up there and he's one goal in 10 appearances this season. Who'd have thought Grezza was the secret to making class strikers?

13 minutes ago, Phillips455 said:

Hey, would it be wise to bring Cole back o  loan in January? If Alex can work his magic again then we could end up with 2 very highly rated Strikers in our line up (still hesitant on Van Veen s actually scoring ability).

I'm a bit hesitant on Van Veen in general. I know a Scunthorpe player dubbed "Budget Bergkamp" just screams inconsistency, but other than the Hibs game at Fir Park and both matches against Aberdeen, I'm struggling to think of where he has made much contribution.

That said, I still can't see Cole coming back. He's been in their squad most of the season, even if he's struggled for minutes, so he's not that out the picture and I can't see Barnsley being happy paying about 75% of his wages for him to come up here for six months.

5 hours ago, crazylegsjoe_mfc said:

I'm a bit hesitant on Van Veen in general. I know a Scunthorpe player dubbed "Budget Bergkamp" just screams inconsistency, but other than the Hibs game at Fir Park and both matches against Aberdeen, I'm struggling to think of where he has made much contribution.

That said, I still can't see Cole coming back. He's been in their squad most of the season, even if he's struggled for minutes, so he's not that out the picture and I can't see Barnsley being happy paying about 75% of his wages for him to come up here for six months.

I can see that for sure with KVV but I kind of get the impression that his wings are maybe being clipped a bit in playing second fiddle to Watt. Which isn't a criticism of either player, it is what it is and in the form Tony has been in you can't really argue with other players having to accommodate him.

KVV's another who arrived having had a fairly lengthy lay-off (and serious injury) last season, picked up another injury early on here and since then has bounced in and out the team.

Clearly I've no idea if this is the case with either player but you could maybe draw comparisons with Woolery who's also making a step up from EFL L2 level and has taken a while to find his feet.

On a Cole loan, I agree it seems unlikely but on a broader point I don't know if January will be different but it seems a conscious decision that we only have one player loaned in at the moment on a deal that's up in January (and even he had already been at the club last season). I mean, our first January signing is a boy on a 3.5 year deal.

Edited by capt_oats