Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

21 minutes ago, well fan for life said:

Big Sol looks like he's going to a very good signing. Thought he was excellent today again. 

It may be through gritted teeth but I think a reappraisal of Sean Goss is probably due soon as well.

Absolutely wild the difference he's made since he's got a run of games.

26 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

It may be through gritted teeth but I think a reappraisal of Sean Goss is probably due soon as well.

Me irl when I realise @YassinMoutaouakil might have been right about this. 

mafs GIF by Married At First Sight Australia

I know it was mentioned plenty in the match thread but echoing in here - absolutely delighted for Cornelius yesterday. It was a smashing take and an even better finish.

Small sample size but that's another game where he's slotted into the midfield and it's been entirely functional and balanced. Even allowing for Saints being an absolute gang swapping out 2 of the regular midfield 3 to start was pretty bold especially as it's been a problem area at times this season.

Nicely done...

Edited by capt_oats

On 06/12/2021 at 08:40, ropy said:

Given that there are one or two midfielders coming back from injury and at least one new one coming into the club, what is best for Dean Cornelius?  Battle for his position now that he has had a taste of first team football or go out on loan and get a run of games in preparation for next season?

Same question, does scoring his first goal suggest he has more of a role to play in our first team in the rest of the season?

12 minutes ago, ropy said:

Same question, does scoring his first goal suggest he has more of a role to play in our first team in the rest of the season?

He mentioned in the video piece the club put out about him after the Hibs game that he'd spoken to the manager about going on loan and they'd agreed to keep him around the first team rather than loan.

Tbh, it's got nothing to do with him scoring his first goal I'd say his 2 league starts and his performances in those games suggest he has a first team role this season. For me he's already comfortably moved himself ahead of both Grimshaw and Crawford in the midfield pecking order.

Edited by capt_oats

Cornelius looks to be growing in confidence the more minutes he gets. Didn’t quite appreciate it at as much at the game but the composure and technique for the goal was outstanding. Keep him around and see how he develops over the coming months. 

On a related note, it was great to see Donnelly back. I’d pretty much written him off ever getting back fit and was sure he’d be away in the near future but I thought he had a fine game yesterday. Especially considering his lack of game time recently. 

With Slattery surely due a suspension, if Donnelly can keep himself fit it’d be a real boost to the midfield. Where it appears we now seemingly actually have options!? With Tierney still to be added as well. 

We certainly weren’t great yesterday but you won’t hear me complain about us cantering to victory in 2nd gear without the likes of Ojala and Slattery. What a fine job Alexander is doing. 

Edited by Casagolda

Yup, Cornelius has done more than enough in his two starts to show he has something to offer as a first team player and is definitely ahead of Crawford and Grimshaw in the pecking order.
With Deano’s emergence, the return of Donnelly (who was very good yesterday considering his lack of game time) and Tierney coming in we all of a sudden have some options in midfield if Donnelly can stay fit.
It has me thinking towards the January window, and I can’t really think of an area of the team we desperately need to improve? It could be a very different January to last year.

44 minutes ago, dezz said:

Yup, Cornelius has done more than enough in his two starts to show he has something to offer as a first team player and is definitely ahead of Crawford and Grimshaw in the pecking order.
With Deano’s emergence, the return of Donnelly (who was very good yesterday considering his lack of game time) and Tierney coming in we all of a sudden have some options in midfield if Donnelly can stay fit.
It has me thinking towards the January window, and I can’t really think of an area of the team we desperately need to improve? It could be a very different January to last year.

Aye. I really hope Donnelly's (knee) doesn't fall to bits after getting his 90 yesterday as much for him as having functioning knees is a good thing but also yesterday was a nice reminder that he's a good option to have around the squad and it'd take a bit of the weight off Slattery.

As far as January goes, for me it's really a question of specific depth.

Like, we don't really have an alternative to Goss and the specific role he has - and as wild as it feels to say this, he's a big part of making the midfield work at the moment. O'Hara's not that type of player and from the bits and pieces I've seen of Tierney he's not the same sort of 'foot on the ball' midfielder either.

Same with the front 3 - though Woolery has made that shirt his own Roberts' loan is up and the bold Justin doesn't feel like someone that we could chuck into the starting XI at the moment without seeing a drop off.

Edited by capt_oats

12 hours ago, capt_oats said:

I think it’s already been made, he’s improving game on game and showing he’s not just about the dead ball quality. I’d say he’s now a nailed on starter.

24 minutes ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

Sort of want us to replace Watt with Jason Cummings for a laugh.

Well, yer man Tam Cowan bizarrely said on the radio we are in for Watt so I'd be up for a swap.

Aye. I really hope Donnelly's (knee) doesn't fall to bits after getting his 90 yesterday as much for him as having functioning knees is a good thing but also yesterday was a nice reminder that he's a good option to have around the squad and it'd take a bit of the weight off Slattery.
As far as January goes, for me it's really a question of specific depth.
Like, we don't really have an alternative to Goss and the specific role he has - and as wild as it feels to say this, he's a big part of making the midfield work at the moment. O'Hara's not that type of player and from the bits and pieces I've seen of Tierney he's not the same sort of 'foot on the ball' midfielder either.
Same with the front 3 - though Woolery has made that shirt his own Roberts' loan is up and the bold Justin doesn't feel like someone that we could chuck into the starting XI at the moment without seeing a drop off.
I thought Roberts was on a season long deal?