Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

1 hour ago, Archie McSquackle said:
3 hours ago, ropy said:
I couldn’t genuinely put Miranda in my bottom five because the thought of it ensured I never saw an episode.

For that reason I don't understand why anyone could have a bottom 5. Why would you watch a second episode of anything you've already decided is pish?

To be fair, plenty of things that started off fairly pish have later turned out to be quite good--including the US Office, which only thrived when it became its own thing. So I'm happy to give most things a second chance.

5 hours ago, one m in Motherwell said:

Big Bang Theory is rooted at the bottom for me - cannot for the life of me fathom the appeal of it.

A deeply unpleasant show, imo, wasn’t good, and has aged terribly almost immediately. 

Weirdly, to me Friends has aged pretty poorly but Seinfeld… hasn’t, despite being much older.

32 minutes ago, well fan for life said:

Where's that Eric Nicholson column when I need it?

Should tag him in it seeing as fat Tommy is about to be punted from Kilmarnock. 

On 05/12/2021 at 12:48, ropy said:

A wee bit frustrated at KVV’s yellow card, what was the point of it, his action gained us nothing, it was the same with Goss on Tuesday, he rolled a ball 2 feet and got a yellow.  Neither booking was a surprise.  Slattery and McGinley on the verge of a suspension.

Another yellow for a pointless interaction with the keeper

In terms of damage limitation - a 1-0 defeat at Parkhead is at the very low end of the scale, so I'm not despondent. In fact - coming out of a run of games that was Rangers(h)Aberdeen(a)-Hearts(h)-Dundee(a)-Dundee Utd(h)-Hibs(a)-Celtic(a) with a decent haul of points, a good league place and a number of really decent performances is waaay ahead of where I expected after getting tonked by Rangers at the start of it.

We now have a lot of teams from the lower reaches of the league and the pressure becomes different and something we are maybe less suited to - but there is a good chance for us to be in a right good position by the winter break.

I don't want to get too carried away but I think we can be quietly confident about Top Six. Hearts will probably pick up points consistently enough to motor along in 3rd but below that it's wide open IMO. Aberdeen appear to have turned a corner and you'd expect Hibs and Dundee United to get their act together eventually but I don't see any reason why we can't aim for Europe.

45 minutes ago, well fan for life said:

I spent my afternoon putting felt back on a shed roof in the pishing rain, such was my interest in this as a fixture. 

Good decision it must be said. 

Never understood why it was called felt.  

15 hours ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

I don't want to get too carried away but I think we can be quietly confident about Top Six. Hearts will probably pick up points consistently enough to motor along in 3rd but below that it's wide open IMO. Aberdeen appear to have turned a corner and you'd expect Hibs and Dundee United to get their act together eventually but I don't see any reason why we can't aim for Europe.

I can still see Dundee utd falling away, just cause there squad isn't as good as the rest, however they will 100% be saying the same about us. 5th should be enough to get europe, is that right, providing who wins the cup etc.

would be nice, maybe a bit early though to dream, given how tight it all is.

It was good to see Carroll getting 90 minutes, the fact that I didn’t really notice him suggests he did ok.  Who knows which central defenders will be fit in the coming week so there may be a space in the team for him then there will be a suspension for McGinley in the coming weeks, so he may be back.

16 hours ago, Swello said:

In terms of damage limitation - a 1-0 defeat at Parkhead is at the very low end of the scale, so I'm not despondent. In fact - coming out of a run of games that was Rangers(h)Aberdeen(a)-Hearts(h)-Dundee(a)-Dundee Utd(h)-Hibs(a)-Celtic(a) with a decent haul of points, a good league place and a number of really decent performances is waaay ahead of where I expected after getting tonked by Rangers at the start of it.

We now have a lot of teams from the lower reaches of the league and the pressure becomes different and something we are maybe less suited to - but there is a good chance for us to be in a right good position by the winter break.

Feels quite small time but I'll admit my reaction when I checked the score was "Oh, we didn't ship 7? Cool."

Going into the game without our culturally Scandinavians and the Bathgate Maldini, as someone mentioned yesterday we've went to Parkhead with better defences than the makeshift one we put out yesterday and lost 4 or 5. So *small voice*..."Yay."

Granted if Forrest had scored that chance early on it could have been a different game, if Edouard was still at Parkhead it could have been a 4 goal game but he isn't and it wasn't and that's equally the case if Slattery's ping is a couple of inches lower or Sean Goss actually knew how to put his laces through a ball.

Chaos Theory and Butterfly Effect. Could, woulda, shoulda.

I had a watch of the full 90 on MFC TV and the first half was...different. A few on here picked up on Alexander talking after the United game about having changed the way we're trying to play that rang true yesterday as well...it was all very front foot, pressing - going to Parkhead and trying to do that is...bold.

Yesterday felt like we were continuing to trend in that direction following on from Hearts, United and Hibs.

For all it was a bit of a "meh" game it still feels like we're moving towards the sweet spot between Murderball and Football. Which is nice.

43 minutes ago, Neil86 said:

I can still see Dundee Utd falling away, just cause there squad isn't as good as the rest, however they will 100% be saying the same about us. 5th should be enough to get Europe, is that right, providing who wins the cup etc.

would be nice, maybe a bit early though to dream, given how tight it all is.

Mentioned this in the relegation thread but I can see January being pretty big for a bunch of clubs for a bunch of different reasons tbh. It's true for a pile of teams in the middle section of the league as well (including us) eg: if United lose say Fuchs and/or Siegrist how does that affect them? What happens with Hibs as it's looking increasingly the case that they've just binned off Ross without anyone lined up?

Edited by capt_oats