Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

20 hours ago, capt_oats said:

The fact it's best "short episode TV" means all the best prestige TV isn't eligible but even then...off the top of my head these are in the conversation for my Top 5:

Seinfeld
The Simpsons
30 Rock
Curb
Atlanta

Also, shout out for Party Down.

To add, big fan of The Thick of It here as well.

A list of shows I love and one I haven't watched, which is the ideal list tbh. Cheers.

10 hours ago, one m in Motherwell said:

No Darkplace? No Phoenix Nights? No Partridge? Come on.

Dark Place is brilliant - still rewatch that one - it would go into my "obscure comedies that more folk should watch" list. The first series of I'm Alan Partridge was/is stunningly good but I really hated the 2nd series, so despite the fact that I like the latter day stuff, it didn't make the cut.

The Watt stuff is just as we all expected given that he can sign a pre-contract in 3 weeks time (and the story being on the weekend of a game against one of the OF makes me feel very nostalgic for the other 50 times that's co-incidentally happened) . We'd all love him to stay but if wants to cash in on his reputation being repaired and a run of good form, who can blame him.

7 hours ago, rowsdower said:

Watt leaving at the end of the season, and not January, is fine with me. But yeah, this is the usual pre-celtic guff from the tabloids, because we all know they need that extra edge to beat the wee teams.

They're also, yet again, talking to the head of refereeing this week.

They done it before our Semi and their winning goal came from a blatant handball being missed, so we'll see what happens this time.

13 hours ago, Busta Nut said:

Couple of folk mentioned Curb. Surely they episodes are too long? Great show right enough. One of the best.

Most of the early seasons come in around 30 mins or slightly less by a couple of minutes but aye the last couple of series are 30 mins+.

Can't believe I forgot to mention Arrested Development as well. That would and should definitely be in my Top 5.

2 hours ago, Swello said:

The Watt stuff is just as we all expected given that he can sign a pre-contract in 3 weeks time (and the story being on the weekend of a game against one of the OF makes me feel very nostalgic for the other 50 times that's co-incidentally happened) . We'd all love him to stay but if wants to cash in on his reputation being repaired and a run of good form, who can blame him.

Aye, I read the Watt thing last night and if nothing else it confirms that yes, we have been speaking to him about extending (shock). So hopefully all the usual suspects on Motherwell Twitter can pipe down and stop embarrassing themselves in the club/Tony's mentions.

Hyperbole about "talks breaking down" aside there's absolutely nothing in the story that isn't what we all expected to be the case and absolutely fair fucks to him if he's able to get properly paid off the back of this season.

I mean, if @superward's info is correct and he had a move South lined up for August then arguably this current season has been an unexpected bonus for us.

Edited by capt_oats

A lot of agreement at the top of the table, but I suspect there's a lot more room for debate at the other end. My bottom five, without any conscious thought whatsoever (and in no way based on the likely remainder of Tony Watt's top 5) would be:

Miranda
Noel Fielding’s Luxury Comedy
Young Sheldon
Citizen Khan
Joey

32 minutes ago, KirkySuperSub said:

No love for Spaced? 🤔

I started rewatching last night on Netflix off the back of this thread and having kind of forgotten about it when I threw my original post up.

I'd also been listening to an interview with Edgar Wright on the Ringer's 'The Big Picture' podcast recently as he's been doing press for 'Last Night In Soho' so it's an interesting one to re-visit.

53 minutes ago, Doctor Manhattan said:

A lot of agreement at the top of the table, but I suspect there's a lot more room for debate at the other end. My bottom five, without any conscious thought whatsoever (and in no way based on the likely remainder of Tony Watt's top 5) would be:

Miranda
Young Sheldon
Citizen Khan
Joey

I couldn’t genuinely put Miranda in my bottom five because the thought of it ensured I never saw an episode.

2 hours ago, Doctor Manhattan said:

Miranda
Young Sheldon
Citizen Khan
Joey

Any Bottom 5 without Mrs Brown's Boys taking up all five positions lacks credibility. Although as teeth-grating middle class comedies go, Miranda is in a league of its own, so I'll give you that one.

1 hour ago, Swello said:

Any Bottom 5 without Mrs Brown's Boys taking up all five positions lacks credibility. Although as teeth-grating middle class comedies go, Miranda is in a league of its own, so I'll give you that one.

I completely discounted Mrs Brown's Boys because, whatever else it is, it definitely isn't comedy. It may have a role as a weapon of psychological torture, or it may just exist in order to make pantomime look good, but comedy? Nah.