Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

He's an error in waiting even on a good day - and when he does sell the shirts he often falls apart. He offers bugger all going forward.

For all that, I could actually live with him as back-up to someone decent. But when we've already got one so so LB, retaining the other and not looking to improve that position for next season is a major mistake.

42 minutes ago, well fan for life said:

Hot take: Nathan McGinley is absolutely fine for us.

I suppose if you're happy remaining on a par with where we are now, then 'fine for us' is ok.

I've criticised him in the past when he's had a bad game, and likewise, I've voiced my opinion in games where the flak he's received has been o.t.t.

In his mid-twenties he still has some glaring deficiencies in his game, and whereas Mugabi has come on leaps and bounds under Alexander's defensive coaching, I just don't see McGinley being capable of making the same progress. 

If we're settling for fine, fair enough, but to push on and improve we need to, and should, be looking to recruit better on the left side of defence as neither him or Carroll perform well enough on a consistent basis. 

McGinley got a little OTT criticism that has led to some revisionism against his name as a reaction... for some reason.

He’s not good enough to start. I hope this is just securing someone for cover rather than actually being part of our plans.

1 hour ago, capt_oats said:

Genuinely quite tickled that folk thought we wouldn't be offering a new deal to someone who's made 28 appearances so far this season tbqhwy.

That presents the intrinsically linked issue of Nathan Mcginley appearing as many as 28 times for us this season. 

1 hour ago, Al B said:

I can't remember who on here said it, but "He has the body of a vegan teenager" is the most on-the-money description of anyone I've ever heard.

Aaaaaaaaand in 5....4....3....2....1 🤣🤣🤣

2 hours ago, rowsdower said:

He's fine, and the hatred for him is way over the top.

Also, is there an analysis for who's fault every goal was? My guess is Nate isn't in the top 3.

Find me a defender who hasn't cost us goals/games. Is he the second coming of Maldini? Absolutely not. But he's a fine option to have around.

If a good left back comes up in the summer I would be all over it, but he is good cover.

52 minutes ago, Kapowzer said:

Well this news has taken the shine off Celtic being papped oot.

Very limited and a shitebag on top of it too. Certainly most peoples weakest link when he plays.

I think that's the thing for me - he's a total shitebag.

I can live with limited football players...i am a Motherwell fan. But we've been put under pressure multiple times and lost goals from his area due to him shitting out a tackle or thinking about shitting out it. If he can sort that out consistently (he's got a wee bit better at times) then he becomes a decent enough option for me. 

EDIT: He seems like a nice lad and that to be fair. Needs a psycho side installed. 

Edited by eliphas

2 minutes ago, well fan for life said:

Find me a defender who hasn't cost us goals/games. Is he the second coming of Maldini? Absolutely not. But he's a fine option to have around.

If a good left back comes up in the summer I would be all over it, but he is good cover.

This is kind of it for me.

If Lamie is fucking off to Dens then one of either Carroll or McGinley becomes a potential back-up CB which potentially means there's a left back spot on the go.

I don’t particularly rate McGinley, but I find the comments on Twitter (which he’ll probably see) quite counter productive. What do people aim to achieve with stuff like that?

Hardly going over the top on praise but he’s not Joe Chalmers or Stephen Hendrie, so there’s definitely an element of better the devil you know with the new contract.

As @capt_oats said, it really shouldn’t have come as a shock to him getting a new deal.

If only he could bulk up and learn how to put a cross in….

In the last few weeks alone - every single member of our defence, Ricky Lamie aside, has been solely responsible at some point for us losing absolutely shite goals - some on multiple occasions - but don't get close to the level of stick that McGinley gets. 

He isn't the best player in our squad and shouldn't be an automatic starter and I'm not trying to argue that he is something that he isn't - but he clearly isn't a confident boy and him being saddled with the scapegoat role that every motherwell team requires by law isn't helpful. If I was in charge, I would have kept Lawless on in all his unrepentant staunchness just so he could take that mantle.