Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

1 minute ago, Archie McSquackle said:

I'm sure I read he had a season ticket when he was younger. Was he not playing for Celtic and well out of our price range at the point he would have got a game for us? Then we signed Randolph and Ruddy.

Going by the article it was during McGhee's first stint in 2007 so our 'keepers were Smith, Daniels and Meldrum.

942179166_ScreenShot2022-02-24at11_07_28.thumb.png.0e32bc66d3da3fdcc09ad4116f2ad4ea.png

4 hours ago, Archie McSquackle said:
13 hours ago, Kapowzer said:
Grimshaw has gone from utility player to a fringe one and therefore if he was offered something I think it would be equal or less than what he's on at present.
Conor Ronan will be away back to Wolves and some of the players their fans were relieved to keep hold of in both windows will definitely be away. O'Hara is definitely in the Ronan ballpark and wither Grimmy is seen as cover or a replacement for Tait would be irony of the highest order. I'd be bowled over if Robinson doesn't sniff around if Donnelly is open to a move.
Based on his recruitment so far, I'm confident Grezza could replace them all with better quality this summer.
His shopping list in order is probably right back, ball winning or box to box midfielder essentially the opposite of whatever he envisages Slattery's role will be as I don't think he knows and a striker. Next on the list is back up centre half and ensure Tierney's on a steak and Guinness diet.
I'm happy with the depth in attack at present, Efford, Woolery, Shields and KVV. Will be interesting to see if we seek an extension for Roberts. Amaluzor is not up to it similar to Seedorf.
MIdfield with Slattery, Tierney, Goss, McGuire, Cornelius. Good basis but need the young boys to progress rather than stagnate.
Defence Bevis, Sol, Ojala, Carroll and the forgotten man SOD.
Keeper .... Just keep him away from twitter and tinfoil hats.
Will we ever see Nirennold?

I think left back will be on that list and fairly high up.

Fixed it, Froidian slip .... and I proof read it before posting

Did Buzz not have a couple of good seasons before turning to shit? I was quite young then so can’t really remember.
I always thought Smith was decent for us. When he went to Hibs he turned to shite but their goalkeeping position seemed to be cursed at the time.

2 hours ago, capt_oats said:

Edit: Also, I'd add proof reading to the essential knowledge, skills & experience section.

Ironically they also have 'Accuracy and attention to detail' in there, further down after the typo :D
But I see one of the other requirements is 'Very good knowledge and experience of IT software'.  I think that really means 'can drive an Excel spreadsheet'. 

1 minute ago, Ron Aldo said:
5 minutes ago, Gianfranco said:
Did Buzz not have a couple of good seasons before turning to shit? I was quite young then so can’t really remember.

I always thought Smith was decent for us. When he went to Hibs he turned to shite but their goalkeeping position seemed to be cursed at the time.

Cursed by signing and keeping bad players.

Smith for us was... frustrating. Made incredible stops and the Nancy games were the perfect example; good - incredible penalty save to keep us in the game, bad - failure to deal with a ball in the box in the second leg that killed the tie. 

1 hour ago, thisGRAEME said:

Smith for us was... frustrating. Made incredible stops and the Nancy games were the perfect example; good - incredible penalty save to keep us in the game, bad - failure to deal with a ball in the box in the second leg that killed the tie. 

I think that game was Smith in microcosm really: a great shot stopper and capable of making incredible saves but his decision making was usually chronic. Especially coming for crosses or under the high ball.

He was a character though. Maybe it's just a bit of nostalgia but my memories of his first 2 seasons are pretty positive - did he no get a call up for Scotland around then?

Edited by For Your Pies Only

5 hours ago, Kapowzer said:

Fixed it, Froidian slip .... and I proof read it before posting

Tried to roast the unwashed in their thread after their humping in the Conference League last week and made an arse of it.

Update … euro coefficient going up in smoke tonight 

1 minute ago, well fan for life said:

Hot take: Nathan McGinley is absolutely fine for us.

I am sorry he is bang average. He is capable of a good game. But equally he is capable of being utter garbage. Our recent bad run started when we lost 3-1 at Ross C when we had a man advantage. If I recall correctly McGinley was robbed (not for the 1st time) outside the box that led to the 2nd Ross C goal.  Again not the 1st time his weak defending has directly cost us.  I wish him well. I do. But I would have let him go.