Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

17 minutes ago, ropy said:

Seeded in the League Cup, whatever the round after the group stages is called.  As long as we don’t draw Dundee there should be a wee payout.  At least as much as we earned this season.

Aye, arguably that's as much as a sporting prize as anything else from qualifying for Europe, we can clearly still get a tough draw in the last 16 but being guaranteed to avoid the OF and Hearts is as good a start as it gets.

16 hours ago, Kapowzer said:

Joel Sked in the Scotsman:

If Motherwell lose in the second qualifying round they will get €350,000. It rises to €550,000 in the third round and €750,000 if knocked out at the play-off stage. Group stage qualification is worth €2.94m with each group win €500,000 and €166,000 for a draw”

To quote Graeme (no h) Souness …. It’s a lot more than I first thought 

Tbf, will a lot of that not be swallowed up by travel and accommodation?

6 minutes ago, thisGRAEME said:

Tbf, will a lot of that not be swallowed up by travel and accommodation?

I seem to remember we actually lost money playing Krasnodar, so let's hope we avoid the furthest trips to maximise the returns.
(And to make it sensibly affordable for us fans, too)

On 23/05/2022 at 16:57, Handsome_Devil said:

The season has now been done for weeks and we've signed no one. What's going on, the silence is deafening etc.

I will accept the backroom staff having a two week holiday then will expect regular updates, they should be back from Magaluf next weekend.

3 hours ago, RostokMcSpoons said:

I seem to remember we actually lost money playing Krasnodar, so let's hope we avoid the furthest trips to maximise the returns.

Considering the early stages of the the competition qualifiers are now regionalised, we shouldn't be losing any money on travel.

That only apply to this round so the 3rd and Play offs could be in places like Israel ( I swear if we somehow end up playing Hapoel Be'er Sheva again.....) vut we have to get thier first for it to matter.

3 hours ago, RostokMcSpoons said:

I think UEFA bumped up some of the participation money in the early rounds fairly significantly. I think when we played in Krasnador the prize money was around €120K which is easily eaten up in expenses.

And then all you are left with is the home tie for making any money and there are probably a bunch of squad bonuses that need to be paid too for qualifying for Europe in the first place.

It looks like UEFA have tripled the early round money to fix this

2 minutes ago, Busta Nut said:

Where is this confirmed?

In our last european jaunt, which i think started a round earlier, we were grouped with Breidablik (Iceland), NSI Runavik (Faores) or Barry town utd (wales) Glentoran (NI) or HB torshavn (iceland), and in the second round it was IFK Goteborg (Sweden) Coleraine (NI) or B36 Torshavn (Iceland), before then landing Hapoel in the 3rd, which points to the first and second being regionalised and a free for all from the 3rd round onwards.

2 minutes ago, Neil86 said:

In our last european jaunt, which i think started a round earlier, we were grouped with Breidablik (Iceland), NSI Runavik (Faores) or Barry town utd (wales) Glentoran (NI) or HB torshavn (iceland), and in the second round it was IFK Goteborg (Sweden) Coleraine (NI) or B36 Torshavn (Iceland), before then landing Hapoel in the 3rd, which points to the first and second being regionalised and a free for all from the 3rd round onwards.

Was that not dictated by Covid and the like though or has it become a permanent thing?

1 minute ago, capt_oats said:

Was that not dictated by Covid and the like though or has it become a permanent thing?

I haven't a clue, that is a possibility though, the one thing that makes me think that it wasn't is that Sweden at that time was running a 'couldn't give a f**k about covid' policy and was red listed by just about every nation in Europe.

That was about the time we had the traffic light policy as well as I was in Prague (which went Red the day I got there) for the Glentoran Game.

That's all good news, but however far we'd get, it's still better to be avoiding the sort of place where the team have to charter a flight!

Ok, basically I'm thinking of my own finances as much as the club's... and I'd like to go to Scandinavia / France / Germany / Spain etc again please.   There was a time when a trip to the Eastern European countries would have also appealed, but not so much now :(

I missed out on Iceland... apart from the fact that alcohol is famously horrendously expensive out there, what was it like?

19 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

It was implemented due toCovid but I don't think Uefa actually changed it last season. So it could still apply this season.

Technically regional qualifiers were scrapped in 2009 (we wouldn't have drawn Nancy as France would have been a different region) but they re introduced it with the COVID situation.

Knowing our luck we will end up with the team statistically the furtherest away from us as possible.

Edited by Phillips455

According to the oracle (Kassiesa): Although the regulations no longer require the use of regional groups (as used before 2009), until now UEFA still uses some kind of regionalization in the first qualifying rounds. At first the clubs are divided into seeded and unseeded clubs, and then the seeded and unseeded clubs are split into regional groups. The general approach seems to use the North/Central/South scheme, but no specific rules are known.

Edit: but given Aberdeen got Qarabag recently it seems to be very much up in the air.

Edited by Handsome_Devil

32 minutes ago, Handsome_Devil said:

According to the oracle (Kassiesa): Although the regulations no longer require the use of regional groups (as used before 2009), until now UEFA still uses some kind of regionalization in the first qualifying rounds. At first the clubs are divided into seeded and unseeded clubs, and then the seeded and unseeded clubs are split into regional groups. The general approach seems to use the North/Central/South scheme, but no specific rules are known.

Edit: but given Aberdeen got Qarabag recently it seems to be very much up in the air.

Well that was in the play off though. In the 2nd round they got a Swedish team and in the 3rd an Icelandic team.