Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

That's 4 current or former Motherwell players in the squad then? Some laugh when the Bathgate Maldini gets his call up.

Actually, where's Declan? Surely after his big move last summer he should be a shoo in for a spot. :lol:

giphy-downsized-large.gif

giphy.gif

Edited by capt_oats

32 minutes ago, RostokMcSpoons said:

Lewis Grabban is going to be playing in the EPL.

I couldn't see that happening when he was stepping out on Fir Park all those years ago, but well done to the lad 

He's had a couple of spells in the Prem before with both Norwich and Bournemouth. I don't think he ever scored for us did he? I don't remember him being here for very long.

1 hour ago, Al B said:

He's had a couple of spells in the Prem before with both Norwich and Bournemouth. I don't think he ever scored for us did he? I don't remember him being here for very long.

Only made a handful of appearances in a four month loan spell, and didn't score as you say. Has scored for fun at a lot of his other clubs, though.

Edited by Gallus Numpty

I see we've updated our backroom staff on the official site. https://www.motherwellfc.co.uk/squad/first-team/

Liam Jukes is Lead Sports Scientist - previously at Ross County. That was the job that was advertised when Boles left. Looks like he's been at the club since March.

Tom Jones is Performance Therapist but is pretty fucking unGoogle-able.

That's on top of Callum Davidson (not that one) who's also a performance therapist and was previously at Salford.

We also now have an assistant kit coordinator.

So we're still shy a goalkeeper coach and a Lasley replacement.

Edited by capt_oats

18 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

I see we've updated our backroom staff on the official site. https://www.motherwellfc.co.uk/squad/first-team/

Liam Jukes is Lead Sports Scientist - previously at Ross County. That was the job that was advertised when Boles left. Looks like he's been at the club since March.

Tom Jones is Performance Therapist but is pretty fucking unGoogle-able.

That's on top of Callum Davidson (not that one) who's also a performance therapist and was previously at Salford.

We also now have an assistant kit coordinator.

So we're still shy a goalkeeper coach and a Lasley replacement.

There won’t be a replacement for Lasley.  

43 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

Alexander specifically spoke about a new coach coming in when it was announced Lasley was leaving.

A club with our budget Las was a bit of a luxury. If he was not already at the club (and as important as he was) would that role have been created / advertised. I doubt it.  Effectively a fully paid (2nd) Assistant Manager. 

We shall see what transpires, but my understanding is there won’t be a replacement. 

11 hours ago, welldaft said:

A club with our budget Las was a bit of a luxury. If he was not already at the club (and as important as he was) would that role have been created / advertised. I doubt it.  Effectively a fully paid (2nd) Assistant Manager. 

I mean, not really.

It's not unusual for a club of our size to have a Manager, Assistant and first team coach plus various coaching support staff. In our case as far as I can see Lasley just kept his previous job title and from what I can tell from the bits and pieces of #content the club put out he absorbed the role vacated by Mo Ross who we didn't replace.

In fact, to speak to that point when Robinson was here his support staff included Lasley as assistant plus Ross and O'Carroll - despite the latter 2 having ostensibly job titles for the Reserves and u18s - with Craigan having been part of the coaching staff in the same respect previously.

Right now, as it stands our "first team" coaching staff amounts to Alexander and Lucketti.

It's doubtful that we're looking to appoint a second "assistant manager", but a first team coach in some form or another doesn't seem that far fetched nor does it seem a luxury. In fact, it was pretty much the first thing folk suggested last week when it was floated we might have an interest in Davis if Rangers weren't going to extend his deal ie: it'd be a player/coach sort of situation.

As I say, you can only really take Alexander at face value but it suggests that there is a role (as yet undefined) we're looking to fill - he literally talks about a "new coach":

"I've had thoughts over the last few weeks about what we do with that role, now we know he (Lasley) is going.

"When you get closer to games, that takes your main focus. You have to plan ahead but there is nothing concrete in my head at the moment at what that new coach looks like."

Full list of backroom staff as it stands:

image.thumb.png.15f3a8a0716877e524ca56f315358f23.png

Edited by capt_oats