Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

Says a lot when you appear to be third choice behind Patterson (20 - has 6 first team starts) and Hickey (19, 2nd cap and playing the opposite wing). Ralston for me was the shout there.

We were flat from the get go tonight, Andy Robertson back to mediocre in dark blue.

Said it before but I think it's fair enough that he's chippy about this.

“We have a rich history at this level but we’re a different club than we were in the past. Our budget is tight and that won’t change going forward.

“Anything we do on the pitch that’s above what is expected deserves credit. I know when we were going through the tough patch in the New Year it wasn’t something we were happy about but it was almost as if the first 20 games didn’t exist.

“No one had given us a Willy Wonka gold ticket to get into the top six. We’d won the points, scored the goal to get ourselves there. It made me angry to be honest as I didn’t think we got the credit we deserved.

“I understand the criticism when we were in that period of bad results, I’d no issue with it, but it was when people questioned our position in the top six. I wasn’t happy with that and it was as if, 20 games, which is a big chunk of the season, didn’t count.

“I know the world we live in now, everyone lives in the now and they don’t look at the big picture. I was trying to keep everyone balanced pre-Christmas when people were talking about Europe and what we could achieve. I said where we were was just a points tally and where we finished was what counted.”

Link

Big MJ energy about it though...

giphy.gif

Edited by capt_oats

"No one had given us a Willy Wonka gold ticket to get into the top six."

Ricki Lamie disagrees.

Of course it's a marathon, not a sprint, but by f**k we were running in quicksand for the whole second half of the race.

That late goal at Livi saw us stumble over the line and has enabled Alexander to continue with his 'we don't get the credit' spiel. That one moment took the focus away from it being a disjointed and, at times, shambolic campaign and saved him having to explain a completely different outcome of the season.

The Bathgate Maldini definitely came up with his golden ticket in the 'manager's spin' stakes, I hope he weighed in heavily to the big man's wedding present whip round.

1 hour ago, capt_oats said:

Said it before but I think it's fair enough that he's chippy about this.

3 minutes ago, 'WellDel said:

Ricki Lamie disagrees.

Of course it's a marathon, not a sprint, but by f**k we were running in quicksand for the whole second half of the race.

That late goal at Livi saw us stumble over the line and has enabled Alexander to continue with his 'we don't get the credit' spiel. That one moment took the focus away from it being a disjointed and, at times, shambolic campaign and saved him having to explain a completely different outcome of the season.

The Bathgate Maldini definitely came up with his golden ticket in the 'manager's spin' stakes, I hope he weighed in heavily to the big man's wedding present whip round.

I'm not sure what I make of myself, as I have agreed with both these quotes (and their underlying sentiments) quite strongly... and occasionally I can agree with them both simultaneously (Is that "1984"'s Doublethink in action?)

The only thing I can come back to, when worrying about a bad run of performances, is who exactly would we get to replace the current incumbent.  We've managed to pull in some reasonably big names in the past (typically a bit past their prime), but basically we'd be hoping for a 'lucky strike' of some undiscovered talent, or a big name who has been quite recently sacked...  as eventually all managers (with the possible exception of your Pep Guardiola's) will go through a sackable run of bad results and crap performances.

Of course there has to be a point where you throw manager out.  But mid-table in the league is not where we as a club should do it (in my very humble opinion).
Nah we got to to wait until it's nearly too late 😂

Anyway, we should all think ourselves very very lucky we're not Aberdeen fans.  Now that is a shambles of a season!

21 minutes ago, RostokMcSpoons said:

I'm not sure what I make of myself, as I have agreed with both these quotes (and their underlying sentiments) quite strongly... and occasionally I can agree with them both simultaneously (Is that "1984"'s Doublethink in action?)

The only thing I can come back to, when worrying about a bad run of performances, is who exactly would we get to replace the current incumbent.  We've managed to pull in some reasonably big names in the past (typically a bit past their prime), but basically we'd be hoping for a 'lucky strike' of some undiscovered talent, or a big name who has been quite recently sacked...  as eventually all managers (with the possible exception of your Pep Guardiola's) will go through a sackable run of bad results and crap performances.

Of course there has to be a point where you throw manager out.  But mid-table in the league is not where we as a club should do it (in my very humble opinion).
Nah we got to to wait until it's nearly too late 😂

Anyway, we should all think ourselves very very lucky we're not Aberdeen fans.  Now that is a shambles of a season!

I get your points completely, and, to an extent now that the season is over and targets met, those of @capt_oats on Alexander's right to feel a bit aggrieved. At our level every managerial appointment is a gamble. As a small provincial club, the achievement of not having suffered a relegation (albeit with luck on our side on a couple of occasions), in over 3 decades cannot be overstated. We are who we are, and most reasonable fans respect and accept our limitations. A few previous managers have overseen us sailing close to the wind in that respect though, and at one point Alexander was close to joining that list.

If the season had continued, post-splir, as it had started, there'd still have been the gripes about the  style of play and team selections etc, but with the extended run without picking up points, and the truly horrific performances that accompanied it, people were quite rightly questioning the manager's ability to turn it around. We somehow clawed our way to the top of a very poor pile to scrape top 6 though, and here we are. Fingers crossed he's learned a lot in his first full season in the Scottish game, and the coming season can see us become more consistent, and if I'm being greedy, even just a wee bit entertaining. 

Alexander's annoyance is understandable but he'd have more of a case had he kept going with the previous plan only to see us draw games we'd have previously won narrowly to go on a mental winless run.

It wasn't bad luck or a break of the ball that created all the classics - Slattery, 4-3-2-1 without an attacking midfielder at St Mirren, 5-2-3, the pathetic hoofball v Dundee reserves etc. 

If he'd kept course there'd have been frustration but by the end (and from the St Mirren win on results were fine) he could have claimed it was a blip.

But when you're on a winless run like us and the boss goes full tombola it's inevitable the fans will conclude he's lost the plot. Saying it was just a blip in those circumstances makes you look rather odd without acknowledgement that GA himself had a role in the problem and/or was pretty panicked himself...

35 minutes ago, Handsome_Devil said:

Alexander's annoyance is understandable but he'd have more of a case had he kept going with the previous plan only to see us draw games we'd have previously won narrowly to go on a mental winless run.

It wasn't bad luck or a break of the ball that created all the classics - Slattery, 4-3-2-1 without an attacking midfielder at St Mirren, 5-2-3, the pathetic hoofball v Dundee reserves etc. 

If he'd kept course there'd have been frustration but by the end (and from the St Mirren win on results were fine) he could have claimed it was a blip.

But when you're on a winless run like us and the boss goes full tombola it's inevitable the fans will conclude he's lost the plot. Saying it was just a blip in those circumstances makes you look rather odd without acknowledgement that GA himself had a role in the problem and/or was pretty panicked himself...

Tbf they can't win unless results change.

Stick doing the same things in a winless run and your stubborn and tactically naive. Try different things in a winless run and you're desperate and just chucking shit at the wall.

35 minutes ago, Handsome_Devil said:

Tbf they can't win unless results change.

Stick doing the same things in a winless run and your stubborn and tactically naive. Try different things in a winless run and you're desperate and just chucking shit at the wall.

11 hours ago, 'WellDel said:

Ricki Lamie disagrees.

The thing is we were safely in the top six with a 2-0 defeat that day and then Ross County got an 86th minute penalty at Aberdeen and it all changed, we were only bottom feeders for 4 minutes plus stoppage time.  We used that time to reclaim our place.

Edited by ropy

4 hours ago, 'WellDel said:

but with the extended run without picking up points, and the truly horrific performances that accompanied it, 

At no point did that happen though.  We never went more than 2 games in 2022 without winning or drawing...  

Edited by Antiochas III

Jimmy Scott and Jamie Murphy leaving Hibs. Scott obvs going back to Hull where I doubt he has much of a future.
Bring him home.
IMG_7440.thumb.jpg.2078f05f336daf5e395ed1e06719894d.jpg
I know it's become a bit of a running joke but Scott is another I wouldn't be shocked to see end up at St Mirren.