Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

Just now, Hoose Rice said:

We said similar this time last year with Jack Ross.

Word of warning, be careful what you wish for. 

Sorry mate - Ross' sides occasionally broke into something resembling football - Alexander I don't think knows what Football is. I don't want scintillating football, just football would be nice.

Slattery was on his arse more than his feet in this game. I have never seen a player fall about so much as Slattery. Cut this pish out.

Carroll had so much space but never got the ball as Kelly spent an ice age before he made a decision on distribution but no surprise Carroll was booked, almost guaranteed every game. 

As for anonymous players Efford, Maguire, Shields and Spittal absolutely dire tonight

Van Veen is so far off the pace and fitness my granny has more mobility and probably more interest in the game that Van Veen and she has no idea about football. Why GA decided he was fit to play is beyond me (and never subbed)

As for Mugabi, every schoolboy knows if you have an attacker breathing down your neck at a high ball you boot it out the park, WTAF was he doing trying to head that back as there was no pace to carry the ball to the keeper. Stupid stupid mistakes and passes all over the park

Sligo were no mugs and wanted to win this. Streetwise and hard in the tackle, slick in the passing especially the one touch stuff, retained possession when they needed and their forward was a constant pain in the arse for our defenders unlike any of our forwards. Their defenders mopped up absolutely everything we attempted (attempted is the key word as we had no game plan that I could discern). Is this down to them half way through their season (Despite a team of students beating them 2-0 last week) and our lack of games?.

Every single time we have a huge game the fans turn out in their thousands, hardly an empty space, great atmosphere. Fantastic fans display in the stadium and then the Motherwell players enter the park and inevitably find a way to f**k it up. Can the real Motherwell team please turn up at least once in these games. Only time I have ever seen us doing this is 1991 Cup Final and the Sevco play off. It appears that the Motherwell players only turn up once a generation when it matters.

Edited by Well Well

When your recruitment ahead of a tie worth £300k is no different to if we finished 10th then what do you expect. Like for like pretty much and problem areas not addressed.

Dynamic of the tie completely changed next week, they have dug in for 180 minutes now and held on. The will have belief where we seem out of ideas.

Let's look at the facts though, second choice keeper tested infrequently, struggling for form domestically, scraped through against lower opposition last week, standard of their league on a par with our Championship.

Bevis would have put his foot through that ball if we were playing in the Cinch, outrageously naive tonight. Carroll has lost the ability to cross which was his only redeeming quality. Maguire was missing, Spittal was a major disappointment. KVV was labouring and Morris crossed without looking enough times it stuck in my mind.

I thought Slattery looked like he was going to do a Roy Keane in Turin and drag us through that game in the first half, he was everywhere in the first but it didn't continue in the second. Tierney has a footballing brain, he's our best hope of a penalty next week.

We don't do breaking down.

Just now, YassinMoutaouakil said:

That was dire, I don't think Sligo would have done much if Mugabi hadn't gifted them a goal but I'm still struggling to imagine us scoring 2 without reply next week. 

I tried to convince myself that they only scored from an error but they had cut us open twice before that.

7 minutes ago, steelman1991 said:

Sorry mate - Ross' sides occasionally broke into something resembling football - Alexander I don't think knows what Football is. I don't want scintillating football, just football would be nice.

Aye fair play.  His brand is pretty awful it has to be said. 

Honestly. The free reign that man has been given over the entire club. The amount of bending over that’s gone on to please him at the expense of an actual plan. That’s what he serves up? That’s what the result is? 

a lot of people needing to answer very big questions.

6 minutes ago, Kapowzer said:

When your recruitment ahead of a tie worth £300k is no different to if we finished 10th then what do you expect. Like for like pretty much and problem areas not addressed.

Dynamic of the tie completely changed next week, they have dug in for 180 minutes now and held on. The will have belief where we seem out of ideas.

Let's look at the facts though, second choice keeper tested infrequently, struggling for form domestically, scraped through against lower opposition last week, standard of their league on a par with our Championship.

Bevis would have put his foot through that ball if we were playing in the Cinch, outrageously naive tonight. Carroll has lost the ability to cross which was his only redeeming quality. Maguire was missing, Spittal was a major disappointment. KVV was labouring and Morris crossed without looking enough times it stuck in my mind.

I thought Slattery looked like he was going to do a Roy Keane in Turin and drag us through that game in the first half, he was everywhere in the first but it didn't continue in the second. Tierney has a footballing brain, he's our best hope of a penalty next week.

We don't do breaking down.

Don't worry, Alexander will just be using this as pre-season given that we don't have the League Cup...

1 minute ago, ML4 said:

Honestly. The free reign that man has been given over the entire club. The amount of bending over that’s gone on to please him at the expense of an actual plan. That’s what he serves up? That’s what the result is? 

a lot of people needing to answer very big questions.

Who, Alexander?  As shite as it was (and has been since Christmas), what has actually been changed to fit with what he wants?  I got the impression the change in our transfer policy was going to happen regardless of who was in charge.

1 minute ago, JamesP_81 said:

Only highlight of the night was walking back to the car and seeing a boy with a new home top with Woolery on the back.  

Was his maw with him wearing the away top with "Karen" on the back?

That's the worst I've seen us play in a long long time. New season same old pish. I'm fucking sick of Alexander and his bullshit. If we don't win next week then we should just leave him behind. I'm aware there will be fans who says it's a new season, fresh slate etc but that was just like watching last season. He's out of excuses. I was worried before tonight about this season but after seeing that tonight it's going to be long and brutal season if things don't change.

Brutal is what that was.

Some glaring holes in the middle of the park. No one can play the middle of a 3. Barry Maguire is meant to be the two footed passser who can move the ball quickly across the park but he hasn't got it. He doesn't play fast enough, he doesn't see where the ball needs to go quick enough. It is half an awareness problem and half an ability problem,.

Morris was horrific tonight. He had a lot of the ball and did nothing with it. If anyone wants to have a positive outlook for the season they need to hope Morris just had an off night and he will come good. But he had multiple chances and couldn't convert. KvV was quiet, possibly still injured but the rest of the forwards did nothing. Well except Conor Shields who missed a sitter.

I was worried about our defence giving away a goal. You have to be on your guard with Lamie and Mugabi. But that was shocking. Why Sol isn't starting i don't know. He is better than Mugabi. Not the first time Mugabi has made a big mistake in a  big game.

We are badly short in quality up front. We need another guy who can put the ball in the net.

And it is now obvious we don't have a real centre midfielder. O'Hara and Donnelly are gone. Maguire isn't as good as either of those guys. We need a holding midfielder who can turn and take the the ball forward and start to move the defenders.

2 minutes ago, one m in Motherwell said:

I've not checked but I assume there is a cohort of fans on SO and Twitter which is convinced we'd have won that had Woolery stayed?

Well we had no one who was could go direct at the opposition tonight. Efford and Morris as inverted wingers was a particular lowlight.

Bevis Mugabi isn't a centre half. 

Barry Magure is a Championship player at best. 

If you can't trust a manager with a transfer budget, he shouldn't be at the football club. There's still time to change it, get rid of the c**t. 

Same old shite. Not good enough.