Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

Every great manager started somewhere.

One thing I’m confident about he’ll have the whole team pulling in the same direction …. which will be nice for a change.

He is undoubtedly tuned in to the support. As for addressing the issues  with the squad he’ll have better knowledge on day one than anyone else.

Now give him as much money as we’ve got left and let him go shopping for defenders Flao.

3 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

Who was the last club hero appointment that worked out in Scottish football without it ending in tears?

All of our managerial appointments end in tears - it comes down to what happens in between.

5 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

Who was the last club hero appointment that worked out in Scottish football without it ending in tears?

Aside from Gio getting to a europa league final, Callum Davidson winning two cups or Robbie Neilson collecting the best of the rest trophy?

Hardly any, I guess.

Just now, thisGRAEME said:

Aside from Gio getting to a europa league final, Callum Davidson winning two cups or Robbie Neilson collecting the best of the rest trophy?

Hardly any, I guess.

I seem to remember Neilson being hounded out at Hearts with planes flying overhead demanding he leave first time round.

As for Davidson, I'm sure most of their fans would be delighted if he left right now.

Finally, Gio, still early days on that one for me. Amazing start he's had but I still reckon it'll end in tears.

It's a gamble for sure, but happy to go with the boards decision if they deem him the best man for the job. All the very best Hammy.

Now, the announcement has been made nice and early in the day, so I see no reason why we can't have at least two new signings announced before close of business.

Get it sorted Burrows!!!

5 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

I seem to remember Neilson being hounded out at Hearts with planes flying overhead demanding he leave first time round.

As for Davidson, I'm sure most of their fans would be delighted if he left right now.

Finally, Gio, still early days on that one for me. Amazing start he's had but I still reckon it'll end in tears.

Cool so discounting the three in the league right now who have all won trophies and or reached cup finals in the last two seasons I guess you're right. 

19 minutes ago, thisGRAEME said:

I'm with Desp, tbqhwy.

Easy to pitch it as a risk, or lazy, but with the context of the nick of the place at the moment, whats required and what's expected, Hammell is a good choice for me.

Is his lack of managerial experience a risk? Yes.

Do I think there was some kind of top tier candidate applying? No.

Is Simo a similarly huge risk? Yes.

Is some c**t that you've never heard of really able to come in, recruit and sort it before the window closes, which in reality is what is required right now? Probably not.

I'm into it, particularly the bit in the statement about a club wide plan for playing folk, that's class.

Aye, for all I was saying I couldn't talk myself into Hammell earlier - this is a reverse ferret from me.

Like, the other options all had/have risks so mitigating that by giving the job to a guy who's actually in the building, has a knowledge of what he has to work with and can literally start the second the news story is published seems sensible given the apparent lack of obvious candidates for the job.

Tbh, I'd absolutely take Hammell over a RangersTV shill like Kevin Thomson. So there's that.

Just now, thisGRAEME said:

Cool so discounting the three in the league right now who have all won trophies and or reached cup finals in the last two seasons I guess you're right. 

No, not discounting, because none fitted the criteria of what I said. None of their tenures have ended yet unless I'm mistaken?

I am actually quite happy with this appointment the more I think about it. 

Will it work ? Let’s be honest right now we all would take 10th place. So if he achieves that then he has done his job initially at least.

He is really nice guy and although that counts for nothing these days I am glad he has been given the opportunity. Also being our record post war appearance holder will buy him some time with our notoriously impatient support.

I had more reservations over Simo tbh. As for the 3rd candidate. Maybe was Healy. Maybe not but clearly there was no outstanding candidate with experience.

He gets my full backing even if he gets off to a sticky start. We need to see what happens when he adds some players hopefully very soon 🙏.

Some quotes from the 'fishal:

Chairman Jim McMahon said: “We ran a very robust process that started with over 70 applicants. We met last weekend to narrow that down to a final three and we spent time interviewing them over the last few days. All three candidates were impressive, and each brought their own positives, but Steven was the unanimous pick of the directors and Well Society board members who sat on the panel.

He inspired us with not only his short-term plans to reshape the squad and adapt the style, but his medium to long-term vision around a fully integrated club and we felt this matched how we see the future of the club. We think he will bring many qualities to the job that he has demonstrated running the biggest department at the club for almost five years and it’s abundantly clear to us that he has the support and buy-in of the current squad and staff."

[...]

“It is an honour for me to be given the responsibility as manager of this wonderful club and something I am very excited about,” Steven Hammell added. “The last two weeks have given me an even bigger appetite for it and I am determined and ambitious to take this team on and put my own stamp on it. I hope I can continue to get my message across and give our supporters a team that will entertain them and a team that they can see are giving their all.

I have also spent that time assessing the squad and where I believe our short-term needs are. I think we have some hugely talented players in this group and it’s now my job to get the best from them. I also have first-hand knowledge of the exciting young players at the club and we will integrate them into the first-team environment when they are ready.

In addition, I think the players need some help with some new faces. As well as taking the team and planning my application, I have been busy identifying potential targets, should I be successful in getting the job. Now that I have, one of my first tasks will be to look to strengthen our options across a couple of areas.”

Strongly suggests that

1) he has a remit to change the style and both SH and board recognise the football we were playing under GA has turned fans off

2) there is a feeling the academy has not been utilised well over the past few seasons (covid also being a factor)

3) players 'giving their all' implies GA had lost the dressing room, as suspected

4) board are willing to support Hammell bringing in a few new players where we are clearly lacking

As others have already said, it's a risky appointment, but agree with all SH has said in interviews as caretaker and in the statement above. Lets see if he can solve the problems as well as he can identify them.