Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

15 minutes ago, rowsdower said:

Mark O'Hara is really expensive 

His wages aren't even included in these accounts.

I'm sure you'll put a couple of quid in the "Save our Saints" buckets when you visit at the end of the month.

29 minutes ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

On the plus side, it seems like St Mirren have accidentally been copying early 2000s Motherwell as well as early 2020s Motherwell.

It's been clear as day they've been putting money into their squad that they didn't before (I think they also actually said as much). Bit saying that, a 1.6m loss is not on anyway good for a club that size 

34 minutes ago, Busta Nut said:

We are SCREAMING out for a hard man in defensive midfield for f**k sake.

We are screaming out for a hard man anywhere on the pitch for f**k sake. 

This is an interesting signing but not one I would say we need the most. 

Interesting that quite a few players scoring highly when assessing them through #data.

It seems pretty common ground that one of our issues we have as a side has been a lack of someone, anyone with the intangibles - leadership, direction, ability to lift others etc.

I'm generally really very wary of the "more passion" nonsense but this lot are just such a bunch of passive shitebags. The sort of attributes we're missing don't show in the metrics, and while trying to gain an advantage through assessing players through the numbers is something I think has plusses, it's fast approaching the time to get in a few lads who can mix it up a bit.

18 minutes ago, McGlovin' said:

Interesting that quite a few players scoring highly when assessing them through #data.

It seems pretty common ground that one of our issues we have as a side has been a lack of someone, anyone with the intangibles - leadership, direction, ability to lift others etc.

I'm generally really very wary of the "more passion" nonsense but this lot are just such a bunch of passive shitebags. The sort of attributes we're missing don't show in the metrics, and while trying to gain an advantage through assessing players through the numbers is something I think has plusses, it's fast approaching the time to get in a few lads who can mix it up a bit.

Aye. Massively this.

Like, I've been saying consistently that this isn't the worst group of Motherwell players and I stand by that. We've collected a bunch of players who are quite good in their own specific ways but don't necessarily make a good *team*. As you say, it's just a bunch of passive shitebags.

Robinson had a clear idea of the attributes he wanted from his recruitment. Some worked, some didn't but there was a definite template and the fact he went out and signed the likes of Hartley and Aldred suggested he saw the value of that *type* of player around the squad.

I mean, say want you like about Alexander but his team still came back from 1-0 and 2-0 down at Ibrox in two separate games and 2-0 down at Almondvale (whether that papered cracks or not matters f**k all).

It seems inconceivable that you'd get anything like the same sort of dig from this current iteration.

Edited by capt_oats

Robinson definitely seemed to focus on the more innate attributes - pace, leadership, general hard b*****d-ness than we’ve seen with Alexander/Hammell, on the basis that you can coach the more technical aspects in specific players.

I wonder if the fact we’re going more down the Wyscout route with a formal head of recruitment makes it more difficult - ultimately I doubt there’s anything to stop Hammell saying ‘we need a player with X’ but it seems we’re overlooking the basics in favour of the data

Edited by one m in Motherwell

Spoiler

DANZA.thumb.png.be6b19debd41cc10d38f0ad36fd0f6f8.png

Be interesting to see how he gets on, but feels kind of a weird signing?

Never seen him play in my puff so this could be obscenely wrong.

Looks kind of better as a CM, but dunno if playing one position is affecting the other, if that makes sense.

DAN.thumb.png.5ff164d7f9f4c550bbae62579c4f8407.png

Edited by RandomGuy.

1 minute ago, Archie McSquackle said:

I don't really get these things but from my limited understanding - does this say he's shite?

25-55 is, roughly, the level you'd expect a top flight player to be at (its a work in progress which is kind of getting there). Starting from sort of "squad player" level to star.

Shaded area shows the club average so you can compare them against players in the same team.

Its not fair to fully judge players on these alone though, and a lot of times it simply shows how a player is used rather than how good they are.

1 minute ago, RandomGuy. said:

25-55 is, roughly, the level you'd expect a top flight player to be at (its a work in progress which is kind of getting there). Starting from sort of "squad player" level to star.

Shaded area shows the club average so you can compare them against players in the same team.

Its not fair to fully judge players on these alone though, and a lot of times it simply shows how a player is used rather than how good they are.

From the little I've read about him it seems like his first loan at Brisbane was better than this recent one so as you say it may be down to how he's been used this time round..

56 minutes ago, McGlovin' said:

Yep - I'm not a total caveman and understand that the data is a good thing and goes some way to replacing human scouts - but I doubt typing MASSIVE FUCKING 80's-STYLE HAMMERTHROWER into the search bar is going to get us what we need.

43 minutes ago, Pettigrew said:

Anyone else hearing rumours about Flow chucking it? 

In some ways it would not surprise me. He is probably on a fraction of the wage most CEO’S are on. And although it is only Motherwell and although it is only Flow. Why should it work that differently from players. He has a family and needs to secure their and his future. 

Also possibly because of how he rose through the ranks there may be a bit of apathy and taken for granted from the Board. All guesswork but you never know. Or he sees we are in a bit of a hole and wants out. Because let’s face it the flak he gets when we lose a game or don’t sign someone would be nothing up against some major issues. Or maybe he thinks we ar going down and does not want to be CEO if and when it happens. 

Would be bold if he has nothing else lined up though. The again it could be utter nonsense……