Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

Until we bring back Twitter updates during matches (not those 15 minute summaries) I’m no interested in the socials…  

(More) seriously though, I did used to enjoy all those footgolf etc videos, but probably watch far fewer of the videos put out now. Don’t really know why this is, maybe because there are more videos on social media these days (in general with news outlets etc) that it’s at saturation point for me and I scroll past a lot. 

11 hours ago, eliphas said:

Maybe it's because I'm 40 or maybe because I've ditched social media...or both. But all I really want is some decent highlights inc reserves, the manager and player press conf and post match reaction on YouTube. 

Highlights would be fine, but I'd be happy to not need to follow the likes of Rangers, Dundee Utd and Aberdeen to find out how our U18's are doing.  

2 hours ago, Antiochas III said:

Highlights would be fine, but I'd be happy to not need to follow the likes of Rangers, Dundee Utd and Aberdeen to find out how our U18's are doing.  

I agree - but a lot of stuff like this is probably a simple case of manpower rather than them not bothering their arse. 

This picture was on Twitter the other day where Kettlewell was photographed with (almost) all the non-playing full time people at the club. A mega-corp it really isn't.

One consequence of having a very good social media presence (and that's where Grant Russell definitely deserves credit IMO) is that it give the impression that Motherwell is a far bigger organisation than it really is.

9 hours ago, Kapowzer said:

before my time. intrigued. do tell

In short:

We were all fucked off at getting pumped every week and getting these on-pitch interviews right at the final whistle. I put a post on here moaning about it and the bold Grant Russell popped up with a P&B account to justify why these exist. 

There's more, much funnier, instances of this but that's a whole other story that's no mine to tell. 

51 minutes ago, Swello said:

I agree - but a lot of stuff like this is probably a simple case of manpower rather than them not bothering their arse. 

This picture was on Twitter the other day where Kettlewell was photographed with (almost) all the non-playing full time people at the club. A mega-corp it really isn't.

One consequence of having a very good social media presence (and that's where Grant Russell definitely deserves credit IMO) is that it give the impression that Motherwell is a far bigger organisation than it really is.

Nice touch.  Assuming it was Kettlewells idea to do this.  Every other MOM and there have been a few is usually just a picture of the Manager unless I forget...

One upside of being several staff down inc CEO. Is the savings in wages we must be making this season !!

29 minutes ago, well fan for life said:

In short:

We were all fucked off at getting pumped every week and getting these on-pitch interviews right at the final whistle. I put a post on here moaning about it and the bold Grant Russell popped up with a P&B account to justify why these exist. 

There's more, much funnier, instances of this but that's a whole other story that's no mine to tell. 

It was interesting that the "shove a camera in a gutted player's face" interviews were quietly canned. I would say that The Thread® was on the right side of history on that one.

3 minutes ago, Swello said:

It was interesting that the "shove a camera in a gutted player's face" interviews were quietly canned. I would say that The Thread® was on the right side of history on that one.

I don't mind them on occasion. Like there was quite a fun one after oor Deano's debut. But when you're getting your pants pulled down every week it's absolutely grim viewing. 

For the most part get them in the sea.

41 minutes ago, well fan for life said:

In short:

Was it an obvious username or did he try to pose as a fan with an alternative view?

1 hour ago, Swello said:

51 minutes ago, well fan for life said:

I don't mind them on occasion. Like there was quite a fun one after oor Deano's debut. But when you're getting your pants pulled down every week it's absolutely grim viewing. 

This is kind of it.

I get the whole to thine own self be true thing and that.

It's more authentic if you are covering both the good and the bad but the reality was that while a lot of the stuff that was being done was good the issue was their impact just quickly became diluted when they became fixtures of our output and ended up as being things that we just did. Relentlessly.

Like, I also get the idea that we stopped interviewing new signings because it was felt that the generic interviews post-signing didn't offer up anything interesting or add value.

Again, I don't actually disagree with that position but when you find yourself weeks later and the guy is still just a face because we haven't got round to the 5 min interview it's kind of like, "what are we actually doing here lads?".

The discussion has been done to death, but I think it was/is a mistake to measure the success of the socials posts by their “reach” rather than the “wants” of the actual fan base. I get why this is the case, but I’m not convinced that it doesn’t turn people away from social media too. There was definitely a period where I read/watched everything the club put out - now unless someone sends me something or I pick it up on here I probably listen to the managers pre-match chat, read the team sheet and (depending on whether or not I’ve caught sportscene) watch the highlights.  Similarly, I used to take more of an interest in the reserves. Whether this was because info was more “accessible” or because I used to be in a position where I could get to at least a few reserves games a seasons I don’t know. Probably a bit of both to be honest, but I could tell you nothing about the reserves results/league placing/how we’re playing now (though I do appreciate that Twitter has had a bit more on this recently). 

Saying all this though I’m probably beyond the target demographic of social media output. 

59 minutes ago, well fan for life said:

It literally was GrantRussell I believe. 😂

Fair play for not trying to be fly. It’s a double edged sword engaging with the fans as Flao can testify.

It’s hard to gauge the right level, when to nip something in the bud.

I mean the alternative is the likes of Dundee or St Johnstone who have been pilloried for being tone deaf.

1 hour ago, well fan for life said:

If we ever happen to beat Rangers or Celtic ever again, I insist on every player getting interviewed at least twice.   

And a group photo of them wearing party hats