Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

1 hour ago, Archie McSquackle said:

Did Blaney not play as the right-sided centre half in his few games before Arbroath? I'd be interested to see him in that back three instead of McGinn. 

He did, but he's naturally left sided.

I wouldn't be changing anything at the minute tbh but seeing as Casey's naturally right sided if you were wanting to have both on the park I'd imagine you'd just put each on their natural side either side of Butcher.

It seems Casey mostly played right side of a three in USL.

I'd definitely be interested to see Blaney get a run ahead of Lamie if it came to it though. As I say, looking longer term it kind of raises questions about where Lamie and Mugabi fit (answer: on the bench).

Edited by capt_oats

41 minutes ago, eliphas said:

How did Efford play? 

No idea, sorry, I just saw the clip of the free kick on Twitter. FWIW though, I don't recall any mention of Efford at all in the series of tweets (an update every fifteen minutes, and for each goal, which you'd think wouldn't be too much to ask for the first team too.) 

I don't think anyone was expecting miracles in his first game back, mind you. To quote Samuel Johnson out of context, "It is not done well; but you are surprised to find it done at all."

5 minutes ago, Doctor Manhattan said:

No idea, sorry, I just saw the clip of the free kick on Twitter. FWIW though, I don't recall any mention of Efford at all in the series of tweets (an update every fifteen minutes, and for each goal, which you'd think wouldn't be too much to ask for the first team too.) 

I don't think anyone was expecting miracles in his first game back, mind you. To quote Samuel Johnson out of context, "It is not done well; but you are surprised to find it done at all."

They've stuck both the goals up on the official Twitter.

49 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

I'd definitely be interested to see Blaney get a run ahead of Lamie if it came to it though. As I say, looking longer term it kind of raises questions about where Lamie and Mugabi fit (answer: on the bench out the door in June).

FTFY

1 hour ago, Ron Aldo said:

In an ideal world Lamie and Mugabi are both out the door in the summer. It's just a case of finding someone who'll take them (St Mirren). 

We'll probably chuck money at you for Lamie as our replacement for Considine, tbh.

He hits 30 this Summer so fits the bill.

Lamie to Dundee in the Summer, if they come up, could be a goer.  

I'm sure we'll find out what faults Kettlewell has over the coming months/years, but him coming in the door and realising the likes of Mugabi & Lamie should be nowhere near a first-choice Premiership XI gets him very much in the good books for me.

4 hours ago, Archie McSquackle said:

Much better view there of the second goal rather than switching to the camera behind the goal. 

Agreed, I hate that camera jump that they do.  Also I would like to see Blaney celebrate his goal like he had won the cup, too low key for me.

1 hour ago, capt_oats said:

There's Ketts again...

Interesting to hear Nick Daws' name mentioned.

His pressers can be quite long winded and he obviously doesn't mind the sound of his own voice but, so far, I'm liking the cut of the big man's jib. 

A lot of back to basics stuff has obviously steadied the ship, and garnering a real team spirit and solidarity around the place is righting something that seemed to be wrong under both Alexander and Hammell, and is a great building block going forward. Get the requisite points on the board to mathematically guarantee safety, then I'll be interested to see how he shapes us going forward.

5 minutes ago, 'WellDel said:

Get the requisite points on the board to mathematically guarantee safety, then I'll be interested to see how he shapes us going forward.

So will I (obviously - so will we all 🙂 ) because you can already argue that whatever he does will be worse than what we're doing now...

I can imagine Blaney will get a run, possibly Butcher in midfield but if I were SK I wouldn't be making any major unnecessary changes. Build on the momentum when we have it, take as many extra 50k placings as we can and sort the new plan over summer.

The intriguing thing for me will be the transfer business - Hammell was obviously continuing to go all in on a 4-3-3 core shape and whether SK tries to find the players to go back to that or sticks with 3-5-2 is likely a defining decision for 23/24 made by August.

16 minutes ago, Handsome_Devil said:

So will I (obviously - so will we all 🙂 ) because you can already argue that whatever he does will be worse than what we're doing now...

I can imagine Blaney will get a run, possibly Butcher in midfield but if I were SK I wouldn't be making any major unnecessary changes. Build on the momentum when we have it, take as many extra 50k placings as we can and sort the new plan over summer.

The intriguing thing for me will be the transfer business - Hammell was obviously continuing to go all in on a 4-3-3 core shape and whether SK tries to find the players to go back to that or sticks with 3-5-2 is likely a defining decision for 23/24 made by August.

Yeah, in saying 'going forward' I was meaning into the new season and player movement/preferred style, rather than in the remaining games til the end of the season. 

Folk will obviously be given their chance, but he will obviously see every penny as being a prisoner at the level we operate, and as such will want to achieve the highest points total possible to ensure we earn everything we can to afford him to reshape and model the squad to his own ideals.

I think he will be fairly ruthless in terms of player trading and moving on those who are still under contract bur don't suit his system,  or are plainly just shite (hiya Ricki, Bevis, etc.). An interesting summer ahead.

49 minutes ago, 'WellDel said:

His pressers can be quite long winded and he obviously doesn't mind the sound of his own voice but, so far, I'm liking the cut of the big man's jib. 

A lot of back to basics stuff has obviously steadied the ship, and garnering a real team spirit and solidarity around the place is righting something that seemed to be wrong under both Alexander and Hammell, and is a great building block going forward. Get the requisite points on the board to mathematically guarantee safety, then I'll be interested to see how he shapes us going forward.

The fact he genuinely used the expression "Blue Sky Thinking" in a fitba presser probably means I won't tune in any more :) That said, I've been more impressed with him than I thought I would be as the team seem to have a good mentality about them as well as everything else, so I'm assuming he speaks well where it actually matters.

2 hours ago, 'WellDel said:

It certainly would be interesting to have a side by side interview where Pep Guardiola is asked the same questions. I suspect what was an 18 minute interview with Ketts would be less than 5 minutes with Pep.

He has done and is going a good job so don’t mind War and Peace but there is a saying less is more…..

2 hours ago, Swello said:

The fact he genuinely used the expression "Blue Sky Thinking" in a fitba presser probably means I won't tune in any more :) That said, I've been more impressed with him than I thought I would be as the team seem to have a good mentality about them as well as everything else, so I'm assuming he speaks well where it actually matters.

Aye he could easily feature in the ' Corporate speak nonsense' thread in 'General Nonsense' on here, but he's doing the business results-wise which is ultimately what we're after. I'm more than happy to indulge him in that shite as long as he's got the players onside and delivering results.