Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

20 minutes ago, MP_MFC said:

Talking of absolute randoms to rock up and f**k off quickly from yesteryear can I offer up:

Franz Resch

Mario Dorner (hit the M in the Motorola on the cooper from about 6 yards out)

Stefan Lindqvist

Gunni Jonnson (feel like he played one game and either scored an own goal or gave a penalty or something mental)

Honourable mentions to Yann Soloy (12 apps) and Eric Garcin (11 and a belter of a free kick vs Patrick Thistle I recall)

Garcin scored a free kick in the 6-2 game v hibs.

Lindquist was actually decent from what I remember, came in late in the season and shored things up in midfield.

Resch and Doerner seemed to travel as a tag team, and were shite. The orient express of football.

Gunni was a bomb scare, think he conceded 2 pens v st j.

Said Chiba is another funny one, seen as a coup then Bob Malcolm assaulted him.

Oh, and we has Bob Malcolm too, mind that?

9 hours ago, rowsdower said:

Gunni was a bomb scare, think he conceded 2 pens v st j.

Yeah he gave away a 90th minute penalty away against Aberdeen. This was followed by a fan running on from the Cooper Stand to knock out Jim Leightons last remaining tooth. 

The following week we got beat 4-3 to St Johnstone and gave away another pen, thankfully he was quickly turfed oot. 

Stefan Lindqvist was decent enough, I think he was capped by Sweden and had played at a high standard for a while. 

Daniel Sengewald was another random, injured almost straight away. A few months into the season makes his debut versus Celtic and we beat them 2-1. 

He never played a game for us but I remember asking Jim Griffin about that defender Holm Kraska, the reply was SHITE. 

Yeah Stefan Lindqvist played for Gothenberg during the time they were dominant, I'm sure they topped their Champions League group ahead of some of the big hitters, and was a Swedish international before he arrived in ML1. Sadly passed away a couple of years ago from ALS.

11 hours ago, rowsdower said:

Said Chiba is another funny one, seen as a coup then Bob Malcolm assaulted him.

Had to google it to remember the name but I’m sure James Okoli signed at the same time as Chiba. Didn’t stick around for long either. Probably misremembering but wasn’t that Rangers game both of their debuts? 

1 minute ago, Reidy said:

Had to google it to remember the name but I’m sure James Okoli signed at the same time as Chiba. Didn’t stick around for long either. Probably misremembering but wasn’t that Rangers game both of their debuts? 

Chiba - like Sasa Curcic - was a massive disappointment because of the assumption his technical ability would make him look great...and then due to injury/fitness/attitude it just didn't happen.

Okoli did indeed have the long throw - notable for not being the traditional arc but travelling like a bullet a foot above head height. Looked amazing until it was promptly cleared by the first defender!

I've always liked the look of Lewis Strapp for Morton, considering our left back position is a raffle right now maybe someone worth a punt? As far as I can tell he's out of contract and had no offers in.

Maybe one for the thread to manifest?

Assuming none of the OOC players re-sign then based on our regular starting XI over the Kettlewell Renaissance that leaves us shy of what?

• RWB (Johnston)
  • LCB (Casey)
  • LWB (Furlong)
  • CM (Cornelius)
  • CM (Goss)
  • ST (Obika/Mandron)

We currently have 17 first team players contracted (18 if we include Miller).

Another 7 would take us up to a squad of 24 assuming none of those contracted leave.

Mildly interesting that, as far as I can tell, we've not even been vaguely linked with anyone by your Scott Burns types.

For context our first signings/announcements in previous seasons were:

• 22/23: Blair Spittal (27th May)
  • 21/22: Connor Shields (27th May)
  • 20/21: Ricki Lamie (10th June)
  • 19/20: Declan Gallagher (11th April)
  • 18/19: Mark Gillespie (5th June)
  • 17/18: Alex Fisher (2nd June)

Who was the boy who had to sign with Falkirk again cos no one was willing to pay the nominal training fee? Craig Sibbald?

I always think that may be an issue when it comes to guys like Strapp.

Good morning,  

Thanks to everyone who responded on the recent proposal put forward by the Pyramid Working Group to create a new Conference League at tier 5 within the Scottish football pyramid.  

We received a wide range of views, with the majority of members who provided input being against the proposal. The club decided not to make any statement in advance of the planned discussion at the Scottish FA AGM but, as you will be aware, the resolution was removed from the agenda by the Scottish FA Board. We expect an amended proposal to be shared with clubs in the future and we will review at the details again at that time.

Fan input is welcomed, and we'd like to encourage more of it, as the numbers responding with views was relatively low compared to our adult membership. We received nearly 180 replies from an adult membership of approx 2800. How do we encourage greater participation? Email us your ideas. 

In the meantime, thank you for taking the time out to share your views with us and, in turn, with the club and other stakeholders. 

Kind regards, 

The Well Society Board
well.society@motherwellfc.co.uk

35 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

Assuming none of the OOC players re-sign then based on our regular starting XI over the Kettlewell Renaissance that leaves us shy of what?

• RWB (Johnston)
  • LCB (Casey)
  • LWB (Furlong)
  • CM (Cornelius)
  • CM (Goss)
  • ST (Obika/Mandron)

We currently have 17 first team players contracted (18 if we include Miller).

Another 7 would take us up to a squad of 24 assuming none of those contracted leave.

Mildly interesting that, as far as I can tell, we've not even been vaguely linked with anyone by your Scott Burns types.

For context our first signings/announcements in previous seasons were:

• 22/23: Blair Spittal (27th May)
  • 21/22: Connor Shields (27th May)
  • 20/21: Ricki Lamie (10th June)
  • 19/20: Declan Gallagher (11th April)
  • 18/19: Mark Gillespie (5th June)
  • 17/18: Alex Fisher (2nd June)

Even allowing for the fact that we really need to be moving on some of the contracted players, our problem in the current financial climate is that we are unlikely to be the first choice for any player that we'd actually want at the club. So you either pick up players that you can get now (Championship players and non-league jobbers from England realistically) or you wait until the players you really want run through their options (and I'm assuming Casey, Furlong and Goss are all in that boat). 

(As long as we can scrape though the LC Group with what we have), I'd rather we didn't rush into signings this year as we need to try to clear the decks, we need to see what money we get for KVV and we probably shouldn't be putting arbitrary deadlines in front of players (eg, Casey) who have proven themselves to be very good at our level.

36 minutes ago, Kapowzer said:

"How do we encourage greater participation?"

I'd suggest not dismissing 180 fans, because you think that's "quite low" would be a half decent place to start. 

Everything I hear about that board just makes me shake my head. A glorified bowling club committee who are only in it for the blazer and free perks (my apologies to the younger lads on the Board who do try, but may as well bang their head off the wall).

15 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

They seem delighted with that, goodluck to the lad.

12 minutes ago, Desp said:

Everything I hear about that board just makes me shake my head. A glorified bowling club committee who are only in it for the blazer and free perks (my apologies to the younger lads on the Board who do try, but may as well bang their head off the wall).

It's the club board and those just in it for their free halftime pie.

1 hour ago, Desp said:

I'd suggest not dismissing 180 fans, because you think that's "quite low" would be a half decent place to start. 

They are right though 180 adults is about a 7-8% sampling of the membership.

Probably a legacy of a few things:

A) many may feel their fingers were burned by VAR  thing at the 11th hour.

B) perception of bowling club committee as you cite, there are members trying to freshen things up but can’t help but feel they are stimied by the old men.

C) How they communicated how to participate in the survey. That’s very much on them. A good deal of an older demographic don’t use social media or have email.

D) general human apathy, a WS meeting at FP 10 years ago attracted many multiples of who attended the last AGM.

As for suggestions I’m sure “the thread” will be visited by them so it will save me emailing direct. What’s up with creating WhatsApp groups where nobody can reply to stop the moon howlers. But the admin (WS) can post calls to action or updates. Most people have a phone.

Maybe limit it to 10 groups of approx 400 for ease of admin (a copy and paste 10x takes less than a minute) and do it by age plus an expats group so it’s maybe targeted.

Edited by Kapowzer

32 minutes ago, Desp said:

I didn't reply cause I don't think they'll take on what I say. Communication with them has been mince.

I donated a signed 1990 match worn strip to them a couple of years back and I asked them what happened to it a couple of times but every time I do it's always a "oh we'll check and get back to you". No doubt it's in someone's garage gathering dust.

Small fry in the grand scheme of things but it's my lasting memory of communication with them.

51 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

Always thought he was fairly highly rated, but maybe folk just raved about him because his height.

Edited by RandomGuy.