Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

Obviously a wee typo and it's support of the unwavering variety they want, but with those numbers and considering the early bird deadline has passed, it does seem that wavering is more accurate. I don't see us shifting another 1800 from this point.

Personally haven't renewed mine and will just be paying at the gate for the first time in 20 years or so, solely down to the the fact that I missed 7 or 8 games last season through work and it's just no value to me any more.

I think we ended the season on a high - it was actually good fun going to Fir Park for the final months of the season and that helps with Season ticket sales as much as anything else does.

That said, 3000-odd is our hard core of supporters - the rest will be much more influenced by mortgage/rent/food going mental and reduced value of the season ticket these days, so I would be highly impressed if we get anywhere near 5000-odd this time round. 

12 minutes ago, welldaft said:

A friend just texted me the numbers. As stated in the article and above - 300 ahead of the same time last year which is quite surprising to me anyway. 

A Big jump from 3150 to 4800 mind you and what I actually meant is I would be surprised if we get close to last season total. But who knows. Based on how we ended last season we might. But based on increase in season ticket + cost of living increase + lack of any positive transfer news at this moment in time…

Hadn't read the article before posting and surprised that we are 300 ahead of last year. In the current climate I still don't see us reaching last years total, will be delighted to be proven wrong though.

In fairness, it's worth pointing out that pre-pandemic our record ST number was 4,488 in 2019/20. All things considered if we're up around that sort of number again then we'll be doing quite well IMO - I mean, we're on 65%-ish of last season's total and we've literally not announced a signing or the like.

The numbers for the 'pandemic era' sales are kind of difficult to make a reasonable comparison given there was an obvious artificial inflation.

This was posted 3rd September 2021:

Screenshot2023-06-14at17_16_53.thumb.png.c75a9e70d8c05b9ce7facb8c0509ef5a.png

The flip of that is that there's a quote from Dempster in 2013 indicating that our STs were 2500 in 2008.

“We’ve had our insolvency event and I don’t think that will happen to us again. Our season ticket sales were numbered at 2500 five years ago and now we sell to 4400 people."

Link

The tickets ahead of last year with no Europe and a £40 hike is remarkable. Numbers in the past should be tempered that a swathe of our numbers were kids on Wellevate who got their tickets for free (now a nominal fee).

I was advocating for Carroll's return 18 months ago because we were chronic/sticky plastering the left back, but he was all at sea before his latest injury. Not a loss, if we can get McGinley a new club too, my week is made.

@YassinMoutaouakil you're definitely more glass half full. My defining memory from both is Carroll conceding a penalty that never was against Ross County but regardless he was still skinned. With McGinley it was getting his arse handed to him at Tannadice then making a rugby tackle because he had no other ideas/ability.

If I was the rep of any of the guys we're looking to hold on to, Casey, Goss, etc. I'd be telling my guy to hold off till the KvV deal goes through as you'd have much better bargaining power after it than today.

Edited by Kapowzer

1 hour ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

I find fullbacks like Carroll- fast, committed, decent with crosses and dead balls- pretty easy to like. In reality he was probably a fucking liability more regularly than he was useful but I reckon I'll look back on him positively. 

Regard him and Dunne in a similar way. Accident and injury prone.

Edited by Dosser1886

Looking forward to listening to the 30min motherwell season review on the terrace on the way home tonight. Expecting a good 25 mins on Josh Morris.

I always thought about doing a motherwell podcast, then I looked at the first 3/4 of this season and realized I'd have just been putting out a weekly list of who I think is a c**t. I doubt squarespace and meundies would be throwing money at me.

£500k for KvV? FFS.

Folk were getting carried away with the multi-million pound deal shouts, but considering how good he's been I would have thought we'd have held out for more than half a million.  

Although the heeds gone twitter replies are entertaining.  

On 14/06/2023 at 22:30, MurrayWell said:

£500k for KvV? FFS.

Folk were getting carried away with the multi-million pound deal shouts, but considering how good he's been I would have thought we'd have held out for more than half a million.  

Although the heeds gone twitter replies are entertaining.  

Tbf, it's pretty much what most rational folk were quoting/expecting.

£500k + add ons for a 32 year old with a year left on his deal (who we picked up on a free with no expectation of trading for profit) probably shakes out.  I mean there were folk on Steelmen taking the line that we'd be lucky to get £200k for him or whatever.

Assuming it's £500k up front and the add ons are achievable and not daft then when you factor in us having already bumped the move to China and he's been pretty open about him wanting the move then we're not going to haggle over a hundred grand - we'll shake his hand and say thanks very much.

Edited by capt_oats

2 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

Tbf, it's pretty much what most rational folk were quoting.

£500k + add ons for a 32 year old with a year left on his deal (who we picked up on a free with no expectation of trading for profit) probably shakes out.  I mean there were folk on Steelmen taking the line that we'd be lucky to get £200k for him or whatever.

I'd like to think of myself as rational about this too, there's a couple of ways you can look at it:

1. £500k for a guy we signed for nothing from Scunthorpe on paper is cracking business. 

2. When you look at the money being chucked around, including the reported wage offer, and the season he's had I think the club could have pushed for a £750k with a promotion add on. 

Course we don't know what the add ons etc are, so maybe it'll not be far off that kinda figure in the long run.

As you said, given we halted a previous move, he was always going to be away, so if that's the best we could get then fair play. 

12 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

Tbf, it's pretty much what most rational folk were quoting/expecting.

Assuming it's £500k up front and the add ons are achievable and not daft then when you factor in us having already bumped the move to China and he's been pretty open about him wanting the move then we're not going to haggle over a hundred grand - we'll shake his hand and say thanks very much.

Screenshot2023-06-14at22_40_26.thumb.png.94071ba25c26a25f8fcebe2b69e530a4.png

I disagree with you Captain. Sure Kettlewell helped as did Butcher and Casey. But without Van Veens goals we could be where Dundee United are. Relegated and facing a loss of revenue of £1-2m. That is if they stay down for only one season. 

I get he is 32. I get he has one season left. I get it is supposedly based on wages etc etc. But if Rangers are purportedly quoting £5m for Glen Kamara. At £500k Hibs or Aberdeen are as well bidding. 

Regardless of age etc. Anyone that scores nearly 30 goals for Motherwell. Is in most pundits eyes player of the season. £500k is an insult. Regardless of add ons. 

Edited by welldaft

Whats the chances he repeats the season he just had?

Every chance youd be looking back in regret in 12 months when hes joining Fleetwood Town on a free after scoring 6 goals all season.

1 minute ago, RandomGuy. said:

Whats the chances he repeats the season he just had?

Every chance youd be looking back in regret in 12 months when hes joining Fleetwood Town on a free after scoring 6 goals all season.

Sure he is an enigma. But anyone who has watched him this season knows he is one hell of a talented player.

If we refuse a transfer he could well spit the dummy out and yes we could be left wishing we sold him. But if he even scores half the goals it could be the difference between relegation and safety. 

£500k for the season he has just had is quite frankly insulting anyway you look at it. 

500k is the bottom end of what I personally think is acceptable (although if the addons are decent based on them getting promoted, it would be a different story) - but it's way too simplistic to say that we should just turn it down and keep him for another year as we have no idea what's been discussed/agreed privately with KVV. 

Will this be the first time we've ever (post-bosman) had a transfer fee for an over-30?

5 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

Moult was 7 (SEVEN) years younger than Van Veen.

True. But at 32 Van Veen is hardly over the hill. He has at least one decent 3 year contract in him all being well. 

How much is promotion worth to Groningen ? A tad more than £500k and yes it is a big if Van Veen replicated this season or came close at Groningen. 

I understand we are a wee club. I understand we need the money. But I also understand £500k even with add ons is taking the piss. The story may be well of the mark for all we know but I did worry Groningen would try a low ball offer. Why wouldn’t they. 

I would say £500k for KVV is disappointing on the basis of the value of his goals to our team.

However, I also agree that you have to consider his age and what was agreed when he signed his contract extension.

It may well he that £500k triggers a release clause.

Hopefully the add ons are good/realistic and we have already identified a replacement.

As for Carroll. Was very good going forward, but poor defensivley. Rarely stopped a cross coming into the box.

Might have thrived in our current 3-5-2 but the manager clearly has other plans.

Edited by joewarkfanclub

A big part of a transfer fee is what the player is being paid and what is left on their deal, i.e. the value of the contract. His amazing season for us is the reason we're getting anything for him, and his past record and age will come into the discussion too.

I am curious as to what the add-ons could be, and how valuable they could be for us considering he's unlikely to be sold on. Maybe goals and/or appearances?