Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

11 minutes ago, Swello said:

Have to admit, with the tumbleweeds rolling through where signings (or some decent rumours) should probably be, I'm (genuinely) impressed that heads are not gone and knickers remain pretty dry at this point. Well done everyone. 

it's been a wildly unexciting off season so far, i've zoned out. A guy from Beith on trial and a single Steven Fletcher rumour. 

It'll all be forgotten at 11pm on the 31st August when a blurred photo of a guy in trackies and a baseball cap, taken from someone's motor in Fir Park St, is doing the rounds.

This year will be especially harrowing as without 'Flow tweeting "done for the night", we'll all be up until 5am on a rumour about a Free Agent. 

I see Flow tweeted this morning about a couple of Aberdeen players not seen at training and reasons why. Q dozens of responses thanking him for his open communication and clarity. Something they have not had before.

At least Flow would tweet to tell us nothing was happening or unlikely to happen 😂.

I have said before I prefer us to keep our cards close to our chest. As we have seen many times what happens when it is reported we are after a player. Only rumour is Fletcher and that will likely implode. 

Fun and exciting times 💤 💤….

1 hour ago, Swello said:

Have to admit, with the tumbleweeds rolling through where signings (or some decent rumours) should probably be, I'm (genuinely) impressed that heads are not gone and knickers remain pretty dry at this point. Well done everyone. 

That’s all going to change when we line up my at Dens with a back 4 of McGinley, Lamie, Mugabi and O’Donnell! 

2 hours ago, crazylegsjoe_mfc said:

Looking at the 2021/22 season - we signed Slattery the day of the final league cup group game and were yet to sign Roberts, Solholm, Ojala and Goss.

Plenty of time to still be patient.

Not sure this is the positive story you're making it out to be.

2 hours ago, Swello said:

Mentioned it the other week but it kind of feels like there's been a conditioning towards the expectation of entire squad turnovers every summer (and again, it's not just a Motherwell thing).

Looking back to Alexander's first (only) full summer window and Flow was very publicly trying to explain our pivot away from that.

Whether there's actually been any value to that change in approach IDK but it feels like we're a fair distance away from the likes of Ilic and Manzinga type signings to pad out the squad and/or try and win a watch.

Mileage may vary on the players but looking at the squad now there's still a healthy chunk of players who were either already in the building or signed during that window - Kelly, O'Donnell, Mugabi, Lamie, McGinley, Slattery, Shields, Maguire with Tierney, Efford and Mahon signed in the January or thereabouts. That's 11 and currently of our 23 man first team another 4 were in our Academy (Connelly, Wilson, Campbell and Miller).

Realistically we're maybe looking at scope for bringing in another 4 or 5 rather than the, at times, double figures turnover we were seeing previously.

The proof of the pudding is in the eating but I guess giving ourselves several months to find half a dozen players and convince them to sign is a better position to be in than trying to replace an entire squad.

2 hours ago, Allroy for Prez said:

That’s all going to change when we line up my at Dens with a back 4 of McGinley, Lamie, Mugabi and O’Donnell! 

If you want a brightside, could be worse - could be St Johnstone.  Least we have experiance...  

... oh, and you saying we keeping a cleansheet first game 

1 hour ago, Antiochas III said:

Looks like we'll not be signing Josh Fowler.  Can't agree a fee 😂

Changed days from the old Juniors when you could get a player for a set of strips and some training balls.

Got potential but I certainly wouldn't be paying any kind of serious dosh for him.

1 hour ago, santheman said:

Changed days from the old Juniors when you could get a player for a set of strips and some training balls.

Got potential but I certainly wouldn't be paying any kind of serious dosh for him.

Definitely. If they want more than we are willing to pay for someone we apparently would be farming out on loan then got to take a pass on the lad.