Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

8 hours ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

I'd have been happy with Fletcher but there's something quite comforting about us bringing in a big, weird, English lower league journeyman upfront. It's our DNA.

I'm fine with it.

I suspect what Fletcher offers is pretty set and short-term, this guy on the other hand may well be worse but may also turn out better and be more long-term.

He's certainly our profile, as you say, and time will tell whether he's a hit or a miss.

8 hours ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

I'd have been happy with Fletcher but there's something quite comforting about us bringing in a big, weird, English lower league journeyman upfront. It's our DNA.

He also seems to have a bit of the Van Veen about him. I think our statement even hints towards that, 6'3 but more a mercurial type.

similar in the sense as well that he should possibly be at a higher level, if it wasn't for injuries and application. In saying that, you could probably apply that to just about everybody.

9 hours ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

Aye. I think this is very much where I am.

I mean, I'd like Fletcher at the club but I'd also be nervous about making him our main #9. Wilkinson feels like the sort of signing we do well, Fletcher less so.

To rewind back, @Casagolda's OG post on the 21st June had us hoping to bring in a striker (later revealed to haven been Wilko) from down south that week (ie: before we shipped out to the Netherlands). At that point Fletcher was still a United player (he didn't officially leave until the 27th) and the Nixon story about our apparent interest only appeared a couple of days later on the 23rd.

I suppose what I'm getting at is that while we might have had a chat with Fletcher it still feels like Wilkinson was probably one of our original targets to get in and one we'd already been working on to replace Kev (who was confirmed as having left on the 20th June).

Which is nice.

Edited by capt_oats

Signing announcements at 9.47pm and not timed to be announced at specific times for max Twitter engagement. Not sure I like it. 

Jokes. But I genuinely dont even scan our news after about 6 or 7 now so only found out this morning. Quite enjoyed that reveal!

Asked a mate of mine who's a Gills fan for his take on him, seems to chime with some of the comments on twitter:

Obvious talent but a terrible attitude
Would hope he’s matured since
He did score one of the best goals I’ve seen live though

10 hours ago, capt_oats said:

I know they say never read the comments but tbh these are quite heartening really. (Well, aside from the injury stuff).

Welcome to our great wee club etc.

Screenshot2023-07-04at23_09_01.thumb.png.e624dceb1c034e33cb1572844090d130.png

Very encouraging comments!

Here's hoping he is the kinda guy who just needs a club where he fits, and that club is us.

As others have said. We have a record of that kind of signing. Lets hope history repeats!

57 minutes ago, MP_MFC said:

Asked a mate of mine who's a Gills fan for his take on him, seems to chime with some of the comments on twitter:

Obvious talent but a terrible attitude
Would hope he’s matured since
He did score one of the best goals I’ve seen live though

Perfect.

If he can stay fit…..then this could work out to be a decent bit of business. At 28 he is 3-4 years younger than KVV. With a similar goal scoring record.

I can imagine the signings talks along the lines of “Conor we took a mercurial tall striker with obvious ability and helped him to get a lucrative move late on his career, you up for a bit of that”.  Worried about an ACL injury though. I don’t know how many games he has played since then, but he obviously would have passed what I hope would have been a stringent medical. 

I wonder if that is us done with forwards. Unless Shields moves on at some point. 

Still leaves us looking for a replacement for Casey, Johnston, Furlong and Goss in terms of starters imho. Maybe a couple more if we can move any others on this window. Nothing on Danzaki either. Wonder what is going on there ? 

Edited by welldaft

1 minute ago, welldaft said:

Worried about an ACL injury though. I don’t know how many games he has played since then, but he obviously would have passed what I hope would have been a stringent medical. 

I'm positive about the signing and it feels like "one of ours" - but the only niggle I have is that Obika has been injury prone recently and now we have a guy who's had a career threatening injury. I'm still haunted by the Aarons/Moult double header from last season probably.

11 minutes ago, Swello said:

I'm positive about the signing and it feels like "one of ours" - but the only niggle I have is that Obika has been injury prone recently and now we have a guy who's had a career threatening injury. I'm still haunted by the Aarons/Moult double header from last season probably.

Tbf, Transfermarkt has him as missing 4 games since returning on boxing day last year; https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/conor-wilkinson/leistungsdatendetails/spieler/228791/plus/0?saison=2022&verein=&liga=&wettbewerb=&pos=&trainer_id= 

Involved in every squad or match-day aside from then, the only concern I have is around the lack of 80-90 minutes for him, but then that could be for any number of reasons.

A bigger concern for me is him being behind Danny Johnson in the pecking order at Walsall.

2 hours ago, capt_oats said:

To rewind back, @Casagolda's OG post on the 21st June had us hoping to bring in a striker (later revealed to haven been Wilko) from down south that week (ie: before we shipped out to the Netherlands). 

Suppose that shows how complicated these things really are. That’s taken 2 full weeks to actually get it over the line.

Anyway from what I could glean, he had a cracking 20/21 season in League 2 for Leyton Orient where he scored 15 goals. He then made a sort of surprise move to Walsall-they were expecting him to move up to at least League 1 level.

He was already into double figures for them the following season when he done his ACL in early April. Missed the first half of last season, struggled to find his form/way back into the team after that and was subsequently released.

Basically, like I said he has definite Van Veen vibes about him. Talented but ultimately frustrating and playing at a level below his actual ability. We’ve done well getting the best out of those types in the past and I guess you just have to hope we can do the same again.

Had feedback from a Leyton Orient fan re CW and nothing but good things to say. Leads line well, good feet, great shot and occasional worldies. 

O's fans wanted him to stay but Walsall offered bettered terms.

Only reservation is that he is not a prolific goalscorer but that may be down to not having decent players around him.

Seems on surface like a KVV identikit.

43 minutes ago, welldaft said:

Still leaves us looking for a replacement for Casey, Johnston, Furlong and Goss in terms of starters imho. Maybe a couple more if we can move any others on this window. Nothing on Danzaki either. Wonder what is going on there ? 

I'll be honest, I'm not sure we'll be looking for a replacement for Casey. I think we're keen to keep him around but if he was to sign up that would give us a numbers problem that we'd need to solve - to that point if he doesn't re-sign then I don't see us being in a hurry to go and get someone else.

Blaney plays the position Casey was covering and he's here until 2025. Campbell is also a left sided centre back - do we just bump him out on loan and recreate the Max Johnston situation where we've got a highly-rated young player with a year left on his contract and everyone's up in arms if he turns out to be good but fucks off to Liverpool or whatever other club wanted him when he was 16?

It seems clear we're sticking with the 3412 shape then as it stands we've 6 centre backs on the books for 3 positions (McGinn, Butcher (inj), Blaney plus Mugabi, Lamie and Campbell as back ups). If Casey comes back in then (IMO) we probably need to move someone on.

Even in the case of replacing Johnston - I'd say that in the meantime SOD steps in there although we clearly need a RWB of sorts unless we have another prodigy kicking about the Reserves.

7 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

Even in the case of replacing Johnston - I'd say that in the meantime SOD steps in there although we clearly need a RWB of sorts unless we have another prodigy kicking about the Reserves.

I think there is next to no chance that we actually replace Johnston. When you've got a senior (ie top earning) pro on the books already that is actually suited to the role he'll be asked to play (and another one that can move across from the centre), it would seem a huge waste of budget to go out and get someone else when LB is a far bigger issue.

14 minutes ago, Swello said:

I think there is next to no chance that we actually replace Johnston. When you've got a senior (ie top earning) pro on the books already that is actually suited to the role he'll be asked to play (and another one that can move across from the centre), it would seem a huge waste of budget to go out and get someone else when LB is a far bigger issue.

Aye. To be clear I'm of the view that SOD is now our first pick RWB for precisely those reasons but I kind of felt that we'd maybe be disinclined to move McGinn out of the back 3 as it's a unit of the team that worked well for Kettlewell so some sort of RWB cover would be nice but I agree it feels like as it stands our budget should absolutely be being focussed elsewhere.

Vaguely related and I could be wrong but did we not give Barry Maguire a run out in the back three in one of the friendlies the other week?

I think getting another right back / right-wing back in would be a hard sell for the prospective player.

It would also mean that if we don't stick with the 3-5-2, or we get to a point where we want to change it, we'll be back in a situation where we have three first team right backs trying to get a spot in a back four.

I think McGinn shifting over and one of our many centre backs coming in there will do the trick, I'd rather not waste precious funds.

The other side, LB/LWB, is our next primary concern, followed by a central midfielder, in my opinion.