Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

14 minutes ago, Swello said:

I think there is next to no chance that we actually replace Johnston. When you've got a senior (ie top earning) pro on the books already that is actually suited to the role he'll be asked to play (and another one that can move across from the centre), it would seem a huge waste of budget to go out and get someone else when LB is a far bigger issue.

Aye. To be clear I'm of the view that SOD is now our first pick RWB for precisely those reasons but I kind of felt that we'd maybe be disinclined to move McGinn out of the back 3 as it's a unit of the team that worked well for Kettlewell so some sort of RWB cover would be nice but I agree it feels like as it stands our budget should absolutely be being focussed elsewhere.

Vaguely related and I could be wrong but did we not give Barry Maguire a run out in the back three in one of the friendlies the other week?

I think getting another right back / right-wing back in would be a hard sell for the prospective player.

It would also mean that if we don't stick with the 3-5-2, or we get to a point where we want to change it, we'll be back in a situation where we have three first team right backs trying to get a spot in a back four.

I think McGinn shifting over and one of our many centre backs coming in there will do the trick, I'd rather not waste precious funds.

The other side, LB/LWB, is our next primary concern, followed by a central midfielder, in my opinion.

I appreciate its not as urgent as LWB - where we only have McGinley - but unless SOD has regained a yard of pace, a new RWB is an absolute must.

Essentially 3-5-2 moves the strain - everyone in the crowded middle has help to muddle through but you're relying on the wing backs getting up and down with some zip and presence all day or you'll be shut down very quickly going forward.

The good thing is we don't need a star, a Furlong equivalent churned out on loan will be fine, but it's definitely needed.

4 hours ago, MP_MFC said:

Asked a mate of mine who's a Gills fan for his take on him, seems to chime with some of the comments on twitter:

Obvious talent but a terrible attitude
Would hope he’s matured since
He did score one of the best goals I’ve seen live though

Out by Christmas, Hero by March. 

I'm not really a fan of SOD to be honest. He moves like a granny needing a hip replacement. 

3 hours ago, thisGRAEME said:

A bigger concern for me is him being behind Danny Johnson in the pecking order at Walsall.

I don't suppose Walsall were playing Dundee every week?

Boring post but after signing Wilko this is how we look.

There are still obvious question marks over Shields, Danzaki, Maguire, Mugabi and Mahon in terms of whether or not they'll get game time they want/need etc.

24 bodies as it stands.

lineup.png.de8508cf0ebc452466406775953b99cf.png

6 minutes ago, one m in Motherwell said:

I can see us starting with a Paton/Slattery midfield for the LC at least, although I wouldn’t be averse to giving Lennon Miller a shot.

Aye, I don't think Paton's a back-up by any stretch. Kettlewell seems to fucking love him but given Goss started pretty much every game it feels like there's definitely a gap there in bigger picture terms.

We 100% should be giving young players on the verge of the first team as much game time as possible in the LC groups - it's the lowest pressure you can get for a "real" game - so I hope Miller is started from Elgin onwards.

I'm quite happy with our RB options as it stands. SOD operates and is far better suited to playing wing back in a 5 than whatever the f**k Alexander was asking him to do. 

What's Furlong's plans? At 21 he's in a similar position to many of our young players over the years in that he's unlikely to be near the 1st team of his parent club and maybe a drop down a level (i.e. - to us) would be the best move for him. 

As an aside, I didn't know Furlong's first name is actually Walter #AnnounceWatty 

3 hours ago, Handsome_Devil said:

I appreciate its not as urgent as LWB - where we only have McGinley - but unless SOD has regained a yard of pace, a new RWB is an absolute must.

Essentially 3-5-2 moves the strain - everyone in the crowded middle has help to muddle through but you're relying on the wing backs getting up and down with some zip and presence all day or you'll be shut down very quickly going forward.

The good thing is we don't need a star, a Furlong equivalent churned out on loan will be fine, but it's definitely needed.

100% To my mind SOD is back - up only. If he is on super high wages ( by our standards) and we can’t get him a loan somewhere then thems the breaks. We need a more dynamic player in there to make our formation work.

Re the left hand side is there any chance we could get Penney back? Don’t think the Charlton thing really worked out for him did I it? TBH I would prefer Furlong back on loan I suspect Brighton have given him a deal to protect their asset .

1 hour ago, Ron Aldo said:

I'm quite happy with our RB options as it stands. SOD operates and is far better suited to playing wing back in a 5 than whatever the f**k Alexander was asking him to do. 

What's Furlong's plans? At 21 he's in a similar position to many of our young players over the years in that he's unlikely to be near the 1st team of his parent club and maybe a drop down a level (i.e. - to us) would be the best move for him. 

As an aside, I didn't know Furlong's first name is actually Walter #AnnounceWatty 

There was mention that Brighton had taken up their option on him but I don't know if they ever formally announced it. I'd imagine if they're talking about his development they'd want to give him a run at a Championship club or something next.

1 hour ago, Stevie Kirk said:

Re the left hand side is there any chance we could get Penney back? Don’t think the Charlton thing really worked out for him did I it? TBH I would prefer Furlong back on loan I suspect Brighton have given him a deal to protect their asset .

The story was that Penney fucking hated it up here. I think it was confirmed at the AGM that both Motherwell and Ipswich had agreed a season long loan for him but the player insisted that it only run to the January window.

Which is why it seemed fucking insane that Hammell didn't seem to take the hint and was still talking about hoping Penney would stick around while we were asking Paul McGinn to play left back through January.

Edited by capt_oats

1 hour ago, capt_oats said:

There was mention that Brighton had taken up their option on him but I don't know if they ever formally announced it. I'd imagine if they're talking about his development they'd want to give him a run at a Championship club or something next.

The story was that Penney fucking hated it up here. I think it was confirmed at the AGM that both Motherwell and Ipswich had agreed a season long loan for him but the player insisted that it only run to the January window.

Which is why it seemed fucking insane that Hammell didn't seem to take the hint and was still talking about hoping Penney would stick around while we were asking Paul McGinn to play left back through January.

I think what you mean to say was that the Penney didn't drop...

1 hour ago, capt_oats said:

Aye, pretty sure Penney wasn't a fan of it up here. Selling young players on a move to ML1 won't be easy, and I'd imagine got a lot harder the day the Mega Bar shut down imo. The chance to try and emulate Bob McHugh would have been as big a draw as coming for the fitba, but the demographic of the ladies in The Point (or whatever it's called these days) probably doesn't have the same allure.  Nowadays, like Slattery, they'll need to fork out for a taxi into Glasgow to make an arse of themselves.