Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

5 minutes ago, rowsdower said:

Sending someone out loan when they have a year left on their deal is usually reserved for the players you're done with and can't sell, so just trying to ride out their contract.

The fact that we did the exact same thing with Hastie and got burned makes this more infuriating. Now, it turned out Hastie was shite, but thats hindsight.

There's no guarantees, look at maguire, but this is probably the area where we can take more risks, with the worst case being you have a backup player.

IIRC the chat was that during his performance at the AGM Hammell sat in front of everyone talking about how he was “confident” Johnson would sign a new deal “because he just wants to play football”.

Absolutely wild misjudgement and naivety on so many levels.

14 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

IIRC the chat was that during his performance at the AGM Hammell sat in front of everyone talking about how he was “confident” Johnson would sign a new deal “because he just wants to play football”.

Absolutely wild misjudgement and naivety on so many levels.

What was the risk for Johnson of not signing a deal? He tests the market and sees what is on the table elsewhere. It isn't like we are going to pull the offer and make him a free agent.

Same for Cornelius. We aren't going to break the bank for signing bonuses or wage rises. May as well let your contract run out and see what else is out there.

4 hours ago, Archie McSquackle said:

I certainly can't be arsed trawling through the St. Mirren thread but was it not a bit of an open secret that they were spending more and viewing it as a top six budget? They finished sixth so mission accomplished and they seem to be using it as a springboard but, as you say, it's a risky business when the bigger teams have got themselves in order and realistically sixth is as high as you're likely to manage. At least Dundee United are a basket case.

Saints have set a budget against finishing 7th the last three seasons.

We lost a lot of money in the most recent accounts, for the period to May 2022 but still had the guts of a million in the bank last Summer. That was down from £2.7m in the bank in May 2021 of which £1.7m was the COVID loan.

Not all of that spend was on the squad. A good chunk went on our academy infrastructure which needed heavy upgrades (pitches/buildings).

Since then we’ve sold Ethan Erhahon, Dylan Reid, Jay Henderson and Eamonn Brophy. Probs brought in the best part of £700K across those deals.

Baccus will also go this Summer for around £300K.

4 hours ago, Archie McSquackle said:

I certainly can't be arsed trawling through the St. Mirren thread but was it not a bit of an open secret that they were spending more and viewing it as a top six budget? They finished sixth so mission accomplished and they seem to be using it as a springboard but, as you say, it's a risky business when the bigger teams have got themselves in order and realistically sixth is as high as you're likely to manage. At least Dundee United are a basket case.

I'll do it.

47 minutes ago, Allroy for Prez said:

He’s so good for him only to have been in the team for 6 months definitely feels like someone has fucked up.

This was also my opinion on Turnbull.

To have been in a position where GA was able to persuade the board to sanction signing McGinn (no disrespect to him) instead of going with SOD and Johnston should be a complete embarrassment to everyone involved.

To hear Flow and others on the board talking about "pathways" and then to do that sums up how desperately poor things had become.

41 minutes ago, Swello said:

To have been in a position where GA was able to persuade the board to sanction signing McGinn (no disrespect to him) instead of going with SOD and Johnston should be a complete embarrassment to everyone involved.

To hear Flow and others on the board talking about "pathways" and then to do that sums up how desperately poor things had become.

I mean, I understand why we signed McGinn - it was because GA had fallen out with O'Donnell and the expectation was that SOD would be moving on so there's a chance that Johnston stays at the club rather than ending up at fucking Cove in that scenario. I'm not 100% that Alexander would have been a good manager for him given the differences in how Johnston plays the game compared to the way GA sets up but that's by the by.

Tbf, we've seen from our former manager and goalkeeper currently plying their trades in Paisley that fall outs happen but the embarrassment for me (and there's a lot of it to go around) is that the solution Hammell saw was to loan Johnston out with a year left on his deal.

It's even worse given Kettlewell was parachuted in and showed immediately that there was a solution that would have meant we could easily have seen McGinn/Johnston/O'Donnell remain at the club.

Instead Hammell was dead set on inflicting his 4231 on everyone.

I could be wrong and I've nothing to back this up but it kind of feels like Hammell just didn't see Johnston as someone who'd make the sort of impact he did hence the implication that he expected Johnston would be happier to stick around here and get first team games than go to some u23s Academy in the Barclays.

Turns out Johnston was actually really good.

Edited by capt_oats

Refreshing to hear Kettlewell being so open and honest

There's no point trying to make excuses for the club on the Max Johnstone affair, it is a complete shit show. Clearly Hammell was partly responsible but I don't think he or GA can be held solely responsible. A total failure to protect our investments. I always refer back to the 'introducing our next new talent' video in 2020/21. Folk at the club and around football knew his ability. Anyway we move on and hopefully 'lessons are learned' it is just good to hear Kettlewell say what we are all thinking.

Feels like we went well over budget to save our skin last January and are paying the price for it now. I doubt Riku Danzaki packed up and left Brisbane for heehaw. The fact we have lost 6 first team players and still 'have to move some on, to bring some in' says it all. It wouldn't surprise me if the budget constraints are the reason we can't get the likes of Casey to sign a new contract.

Not sure what Kettlewell's track record was like with recruitment at County but he seems pretty switched on so fingers crossed.

I'd really like him to push some of the young guys in to the first team this year. It feels like we are getting less and less game time out of young guys before they get sold on (or we let their contract run down) but the likes of Miller should hopefully get more exposure this year.

Here's the Sportsound podcast with Ketts on it.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/p0fzx54x

It’s an interesting listen.

Covers the Johnston stuff (obvs), squad building & recruitment, youth, lennon miller, mandron and tactical stuff going forward.

It’s a giggle that we’re getting that sort of deep dive on the BBC rather than the MFC channels.

Edited by capt_oats

While it's obviously frustrating to end up losing Johnston the way you have, there's also an element of hindsight in looking back at your previous decisions.

I get that you don't judge young players wholly on how they do on loan as a 17 year old and his potential should have been taken into account as well, but the whole reason he ended up on loan at Cove for the first half of the season was that he struggled in the Championship for much of his season with Queen of the South. To be expected for someone so young getting their first exposure to first team football of course, but few people would have thought he was ready to play in the Premiership on the back of it and it's also not likely to lead to urgency in tying a player down for another 3 years.

What I don’t understand is why we have such little budget to make new additions. Yes we have to sell a minimum of one decent player a season to keep us just ticking over. However a small compo for Dean, a decentish fee (approx 300k) for Max. As well as a fee between 500-1mil for KVV. That’s some pretty decent income, paired with others leaving such as Mandron, Goss, most likely Casey. Their wages are gone surely can replace 1/2 for a similar wage.

4 minutes ago, supermarv said:

What I don’t understand is why we have such little budget to make new additions. Yes we have to sell a minimum of one decent player a season to keep us just ticking over. However a small compo for Dean, a decentish fee (approx 300k) for Max. As well as a fee between 500-1mil for KVV. That’s some pretty decent income, paired with others leaving such as Mandron, Goss, most likely Casey. Their wages are gone surely can replace 1/2 for a similar wage.

It would be great to get some insight about what happens behind the scenes at the club. I know we ended up with a bloated squad as we added many new faces in January as we tried to save ourselves from relegation. But it would have been interesting to see how things would have worked out if the likes of Cornelius, Casey, Goss, Johnston etc all accepted new deals. Scott Burns has mentioned we have hit the post on two or three deals whereas we came close to Goss committing again but then the other day it's reported that we need to move players to sign some. 

Hard to argue anything other than a significant portion of staff simply not having their eye on the ball in terms of what's actually important at the club; having good players, winning games of football.

The rest is nice and all, fair play, but if we don't do those things then the rest is irrelevant.

Anyway, how's that head of Comms/chief exec/left back recruitment going?