Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

For me, Kelly is a good Motherwell level goalie and is probably as good a 'keeper as we can realistically ever expect. However, if figures I've heard quoted are true, he earns around double what I'd expect a good Motherwell level 'keeper to.

It did seem a good idea at the time, given how good Kelly was on loan, his age and how injury prone Carson had been for a few years. Add in the potential of selling Kelly.

However, in reality we've probably got a similar level goalie on double the money who will likely leave for free in the summer.

I think Kelly over the piece has been a fantastic goalie for us. I can count on the fingers of one hand the amount of poor games he has had . I seem to remember him having a mare in a home game v Rangers last season but then who hasn’t had a poor game v the old firm. 

I don’t really care what money he is on as far as I’m concerned he’s earned it. Unlike recent jokers such as Josh Morris Casper Sloth  Connor Shields etc etc.

Anyway has the Arsenal boy been spotted in Tim Hortons or the bowling club yet?

9 hours ago, Stevie Kirk said:

I think Kelly over the piece has been a fantastic goalie for us. I can count on the fingers of one hand the amount of poor games he has had . I seem to remember him having a mare in a home game v Rangers last season but then who hasn’t had a poor game v the old firm. 

I don’t really care what money he is on as far as I’m concerned he’s earned it. Unlike recent jokers such as Josh Morris Casper Sloth  Connor Shields etc etc.

Anyway has the Arsenal boy been spotted in Tim Hortons or the bowling club yet?

That's where I am too. 

He's a good goalie and the hyperbole around his mistakes during that patch was over the top.in my opinion.

We remember the mistakes but I'd wager if you lined up the games where's he's made incredible stops and won us points vs the ones he has made mistakes and maybe cost us it is balanced to the former. Let's remember the shit show of a defence he played behind too. 

It's not his fault I guess that he's on good money and a big signing on fee - that's on Burrows and Alexander. Clubs never generally manage to make money on goalies so it was a risky outlay if the idea was to profit handsomely.

Edited by eliphas

47 minutes ago, eliphas said:

That's where I am too. 

He's a good goalie and the hyperbole around his mistakes during that patch was over the top.in my opinion.

We remember the mistakes but I'd wager if you lined up the games where's he's made incredible stops and won us points vs the ones he has made mistakes and maybe cost us it is balanced to the former. Let's remember the shit show of a defence he played behind too. 

It's not his fault I guess that he's on good money and a big signing on fee - that's on Burrows and Alexander. Clubs never generally manage to make money on goalies so it was a risky outlay if the idea was to profit handsomely.

One of my favourite drums to bang is our goalie being our highest paid player and not getting a return of a transfer fee is fine. It's an exceptional approach because it's an exceptional position.

Fwiw, in the last year of his contract, I expect Kelly to be impressive in the coming season. Probably needed...

Kelly has single handedly....saved us in loads of games. Doesn't command his box enought for me, probably due to his size and his distribution can be truely woeful. But I was delighted that he signed on long term and has earned his decent wage imo due to how consistent he has been. Don't think he gives the defenders in front of him the shits which is always a bonus.

Having a reliable, slightly above average goalkeeper in this league goes a long way to making sure you stay in it, so I'm fine with Kelly taking home a decent wage. 

Look what happens when you've got a Joel Perreira, a Mark Birighitti or a Colin Doyle between the sticks!

I don't think we necessarily need to re-litigate the whole Kelly thing. It was just interesting to me that Kettlewell seemed keen to put a new contract for him on the agenda - whether or not he actually agrees to sign that contract is a different story.

He's not a peak Gillespie/Carson/Randolph/Ruddy tier goalkeeper and he's not (and never was) Scotland's next #1 although I get that us platforming him was part of the deal.

What he is is a good goalkeeper for this level. He's been good (at times excellent) under both Alexander and Kettlewell. His dip in form coincided with the Hammell era which, in hindsight, maybe had more to do with us having appointed a manager who was massively out of his depth contributing to a defence that couldn't keep weans out a close.

Much like others above I'm of the view that if we're overpaying for anyone then there's value in it being a good goalkeeper. No one ever had a good season with a bad goalkeeper and the common thread in our worst seasons recently has been the likes of Twardzik and Samson actively trying to relegate us.

Also, he's been consistently healthy and available so if nothing else we've got our moneys worth in that respect.

IIRC United were also in for him when we signed Kelly permanently so in I'm happy enough we got him rather than them - assuming the plan was simply to have a solid goalkeeper on the books for the next 3 seasons rather than to try and flip him.

Edited by capt_oats

Kelly is a good (occasionally great) keeper at this level and that alone can more or less be the difference between an ok season & relegation. In the 6 months before he signed we had a broken Carson, a below average Archer and an absolutely fucking terrible Chapman to rely on. 

If we're going to pay over the odds for any player I'd probably say a keeper is the one to do it on. 

13 hours ago, FTOF said:

Doesn't really make much sense given your inferior league position last season.

However obsession does tend to cloud the mind.

It makes perfect sense, you have bought our players, our staff and used our highly successful model to finally push yourselves into the top 6 👏  

So can you now sign some of our deadwood this season too?

2 hours ago, Dosser1886 said:

Kelly has single handedly....saved us in loads of games. Doesn't command his box enought for me, probably due to his size and his distribution can be truely woeful. But I was delighted that he signed on long term and has earned his decent wage imo due to how consistent he has been. Don't think he gives the defenders in front of him the shits which is always a bonus.

Oxborough is a lot bigger but didn't come for corners in the East Fife game which Kelly would have easily collected. These were in the 6 yard box and he had no-one in front of him. He would give me the fear if we had to play him for a prolonged period.