Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

28 minutes ago, Busta Nut said:

Did not know Gorrin was a free

He was and wasn't, I think.

He was injured, they let him train and recover with them, presumably with a view to re-signing him once he got fit. Also presumably on one of those deals that really upset some of our fans where we pay buttons but are doing the right thing.

5 hours ago, capt_oats said:

Except neither Wilkinson (who's still coming back from an exploded calf) or Shaw offer the same in terms of hold up play that Bair does and up until the Livi game it's generally been accepted that the set up with Miller, Paton, Slattery and Spittal wasn't something that should be fucked around with.

Which circles us back to the point @RandomGuy. was making in response to Nicolson - that he's been in the team recently as a facilitator and doing a reasonable job. Regardless of whether the bold Eric can "see it" or not.

Yer man Nicolson has some really, really bad takes. 

3 hours ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

Get Lennon Miller watching every bit of Gorrin footage we can track down while he's suspended. 

If we're not using Well Society funds to have him Clockwork Oranged into throwing big fucking hammers about you really have to ask yourself what the point of this whole exercise is.

loop orange GIF

5 hours ago, ropy said:

Ex-Motherwell master class,  Young Wilson doing well on the Albion left,IMG_1382.thumb.png.9fd194e04317fa4c70aace34f7d1dc63.png

Wilson got MOTM, he was physically better than the rest, he carried and protected the ball well, lacked a telling pass and didn’t take the opportunity to shoot when it was there.

Reminded me of Hutchy, at corners he was left to defend everything outside the Falkirk box. 

Looks like we'll be seeing Spencer continue on the left against County with Soare picking up another injury. Good to see Mika upgraded to 'Doubtful' for the weekend, but expect he'll be on the bench at best.

Assuming he is fit to start in the coming weeks, and his Hibs cameo wasn't just a flash in the pan, what do we do with the shape? Revert to two up top with Mika and Bair/Wilkinson, or stick with the four central midfielders and one striker? Biereth didn't strike me as a lone forward in his limited minutes so if we want him on the pitch I'm guessing it'll have to be in a two. Nice to have options I suppose. 

Great to have options agreed 

Have to go to two, and use the lessons of how good Slattery and Spittal can be moving forward to add to that attack rather than solely rely on it as teams are wise to it I think 

Tempted to bring Butcher in to be the sitting midfielder. Harsh on Paton though. If Butcher has said he wants to play CB though I'd stick him straight in there

Good few ways to play it now as we move forward the next few weeks and being able to bring the likes of Paton, Miller, Slatts etc on to the field will be great rather than having no bench 

54 minutes ago, dezz said:

Looks like we'll be seeing Spencer continue on the left against County with Soare picking up another injury.

See I honestly don’t think we can persevere with this.

A formation with 2 wing backs that offer neither pace or width is incredibly predictable. Livi clearly knew everything was going to go through Slattery and Spittal in the middle of the park and set out to suffocate the pair of them out the game.

Which forced us wide and then inevitably backwards. Which led to lots of aimless balls being clipped forward towards Bair who often had 3 defenders on his back. Was remarkable the amount of people around me that seemed to think a lot of this was Bair’s fault by the way. 

Whether he goes with 2 up top or just brings in Davor for Miller, I think we have to sort out the wing back situation. Personally I’d be tempted give Gent a shot here. It’s a game we’d expect to be on top and have a fair amount of the ball and the very least he’d at least offer us some pace and natural width.

3 minutes ago, Casagolda said:

Whether he goes with 2 up top or just brings in Davor for Miller, I think we have to sort out the wing back situation. Personally I’d be tempted give Gent a shot here. It’s a game we’d expect to be on top and have a fair amount of the ball and the very least he’d at least offer us some pace and natural width.

Agree with this.  I don't have anything against SOD at all, but if wing backs are our only width then we need pace on both sides.  Spencer on the right and Gent on the left would be good to see on Saturday.  

Bair & Wilkinson to start up top and hopefully Mika has half an hour in him at the end.  If Butcher is anywhere near fit, he starts.

1 hour ago, eliphas said:

Great to have options agreed 

Have to go to two, and use the lessons of how good Slattery and Spittal can be moving forward to add to that attack rather than solely rely on it as teams are wise to it I think 

Tempted to bring Butcher in to be the sitting midfielder. Harsh on Paton though. If Butcher has said he wants to play CB though I'd stick him straight in there

Good few ways to play it now as we move forward the next few weeks and being able to bring the likes of Paton, Miller, Slatts etc on to the field will be great rather than having no bench 

Not sure i'm picking this up correctly, is this suggesting that you'd have these guys on the bench?

13 minutes ago, Neil86 said:

Not sure i'm picking this up correctly, is this suggesting that you'd have these guys on the bench?

Not all at the same time no.  But, we won't be able to fit Spittal, Paton, Miller, Slattery all on the field at the same time if we play 2 up.  So will be nice to have whoever is not playing from that midfield 4 able to come on and change a game a bit - is what I was trying to say in a clunky way. 

If I had my way I'd go the below. Paton to come on and relive a knackered midfielder at some stage. Miller to do the same once he's back.

image.png.a6994a060d675caa9773b7c894c75d19.png

EDIT: Not Gent twice but I cannae be bothered changing that now.. 🙂

Edited by eliphas

43 minutes ago, eliphas said:

Not all at the same time no.  But, we won't be able to fit Spittal, Paton, Miller, Slattery all on the field at the same time if we play 2 up.  So will be nice to have whoever is not playing from that midfield 4 able to come on and change a game a bit - is what I was trying to say in a clunky way. 

If I had my way I'd go the below. Paton to come on and relive a knackered midfielder at some stage. Miller to do the same once he's back.

image.png.a6994a060d675caa9773b7c894c75d19.png

EDIT: Not Gent twice but I cannae be bothered changing that now.. 🙂

with you, wouldn't be opposed to that line up, I reckon Mugabi is a cert to replace Blaney if it stayed like that.

All depends on where he see's butcher fitting in as well.

from what I have seen I wouldn't be hugely against Bair and Biereth as a pair either.