Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

Spencer leaving is annoying, as is the fact that we had him playing LWB for the majority of his time here.

I guess we'll have had a heads up about their intention to excercise their recall option in advance.

Anyway, here's an updated squad list (which I suspect will be seeing a few more amends in the near future):

On 04/06/2023 at 23:41, capt_oats said:

Goalkeepers:

1. Liam Kelly (27) - 2024
13. Aston Oxborough (25) - 2024

Defenders:

2. Stephen O'Donnell (31) - 2024
3. Georgie Gent (19) - 2024 - season loan from Blackburn Rovers
5. Bevis Mugabi (28) - 2024
15. Dan Casey (25) - 2025
16. Paul McGinn (32) - 2024
19. Nathan McGinley (27) - 2024
20. Shane Blaney (24) - 2025
66. Calum Butcher (32) - 2024

Midfielders:

7. Blair Spittal (27) - 2024
8. Callum Slattery (24) - 2024
12. Harry Paton (25) - 2025
17. Davor Zdravkovski (25) - 2025
38. Lennon Miller (16) - 2026
39. Luca Ross (16) - 2025

Forwards:

9. Jon Obika (32) - 2024 + 1 year option
14. Thelonius Bair (23) - 2025
18. Oli Shaw (25) - 2024 - season loan from Barnsley
24. Mika Biereth (20) - 2024 - season loan from Arsenal
99. Conor Wilkinson (28) - 2025

In

• 19/06/23 - Jon Obika (from Morecambe - free transfer)
  • 04/07/23 - Conor Wilkinson (from Walsall - free transfer)
  • 17/07/23 - Pape Souaré (from Morecambe - free transfer)
  • 21/07/23 - Davor Zdravkovski (from AEL Limassol - free transfer)
  • 01/08/23 - Thelonius Bair (from St Johnstone - free transfer)

In (Loan)

• 03/08/23 - Mika Biereth (from Arsenal - season)
  • 24/08/23 - Brodie Spencer (from Huddersfield Town - season)
  • 31/08/23 - Oli Shaw (from Barnsley - season)
  • 01/09/23 - Georgie Gent (from Blackburn Rovers - season)

Out (Loan)

• 14/07/23 - Robbie Mahon (to Edinburgh City - season)
  • 15/07/23 - Sam Campbell (to Annan Athletic - to January '24)
  • 24/07/23 - Ross Tierney (to Walsall - season)
  • 04/08/23 - Adam MacDonald (to Cowdenbeath - season)
  • 18/08/23 - Barry Maguire (to Kidderminster Harriers - to January 24)
  • 25/08/23 - Robbie Garcia (to Cowdenbeath - to January 24)
  • 26/08/23 - Ricki Lamie (to Dundee - season)
  • 29/09/23 - Mark Ferrie (to Stenhousemuir - to January 24)
  • 29/09/23 - Ewan Wilson (to Stirling Albion - season)
  • 30/09/23 - Nathan McGinley (to Partick Thistle - to January 24)
  • 22/12/23 - Matty Connelly (to East Kilbride - season)
  • 03/01/24 - Brodie Spencer (to Huddersfield Town - loan recall option excercised)

Out

• 20/06/23 - Kevin Van Veen (to FC Groningen - undisclosed )
  • 22/06/23 - Dean Cornelius (to Harrogate Town - undisclosed)
  • 24/07/23 - Riku Danzaki (to Western United - free)
  • 25/07/23 - Max Johnston (to Sturm Graz - £300k - development compensation)
  • 26/07/23 - Connor Shields (to Chennaiyin FC - free)
  • 09/08/23 - Ali Gould (to Watford u21)
  • 16/09/23 - Joe Efford (to PAS Giannina - free)
  • 01/02/24 - Pape Souaré (contract expired)

Players confirmed departing club at end of contract:

Loans expired:

Contracted players released:

• Josh Morris
  • Riku Danzaki
  • Joe Efford
Edited by capt_oats

Spencer being recalled is a blow for sure.

McGinn could play there of course, but wouldnt be as dynamic going forward. SOD is certainly better at RCB than out wide and could be serviceable there. 

Whether we need to get a replacement RWB or another CB will be a big decision and might depend on how far along Butcher and Casey are.

Given how bare the squad is, its a problem we coulda done without.

Interestingly @Busta Nut, I was saying pretty much the same yesterday that in the last two games SODs has looked much better at RCB than at fullback/ wingback. I know I'm a consistent defender of him not being anywhere near as bad as some have claimed, but absolutely accept he doesn't look like he's got the legs for getting up and down as much. 

Will be interesting to see if he continues in the CB role, especially given our current squad situation. 

Edited by MurrayWell

Wonder what the reasons for the recall are - he'd gotten into the NI squad again and had been playing regularly. Are they going to punt him or were they not happy we were playing him out of position?

12 minutes ago, Archie McSquackle said:

Who is the young right-back we loaned to Stirling? Any word on how he's been doing? Would we recall him?

Ewan Wilson, I think he is more left sided though (could be wrong) 

1 minute ago, MP_MFC said:

Wonder what the reasons for the recall are - he'd gotten into the NI squad again and had been playing regularly. Are they going to punt him or were they not happy we were playing him out of position?

I think it's probably for the reasons you have given, he's been playing regularly, into the national team and they reckon he could do a job for them. Especially with them sitting 21st in the championship.

Edited by Neil86

24 minutes ago, Luke92 said:

I like Gent going forward but I think he is really lacking defensively. He was really ropey in the Rangers game as well.

Each to their own but I honestly think Gent’s defensive ‘frailties’ are massively overstated.

I think unfortunately first impressions of him and that Ross County goal in particular have stuck. Which is harsh as he was a young laddie generally being chucked on when we were a couple of goals down and the team had lost all semblance of shape. Since he’s been starting in a settled line up, I honestly think he’s been fine. 

Yesterday for the most part, I actually thought he was excellent defensively. Just having a quick look he won the most duels of any player on the pitch, won the most tackles and also made the most clearances. 

Yes he made a mistake for their goal but I’d put that down to a tired clearance more than anything else after the shift he’d put in. Like you say, he’s good going forward and was also our best outball most of the afternoon as well as being involved in both goals. 

It’s a shame we won't get to see more of him and Spencer down each side like as it’s been promising and the most balanced the teams looked all season.

1 hour ago, well fan for life said:

So this probably leaves us needing a RWB/RB, a 6 and a centre half at minimum. Leaves our paper thin squad looking even thinner than thin. 

It's been interesting to hear Kettlewell speak about the transfer stuff. I'm paraphrasing but he's essentially been saying that he wanted to add a couple on top of what we already have/had - which at the time was pre-Souaré/Spencer leaving so we were sitting on around 20/21 bodies.

Taking him on his word that means that ideally he'd like a squad of 22/23.

Making the assumptions that Wilkinson is next to be announced to have left and that McGinley/Maguire coming back aren't being viewed as credible replacements for anyone that would leave us with a current First Team squad of 18.

Realistically we could be looking at another 4 or 5 to come in. Again, reading between the lines from what Kettlewell has been saying it sounds like he's expecting to be busy in this window.

I mean, we brought 9 in last January so I guess 4 or 5 sounds do-able - Jimmy Furlong, a RWB, a CB and a #6?

On Bevis, I think he's been here for four years for a reason, even if he's rarely been a nailed on first pick in that period. He's good for a few goals a season, can be immense in the air and fill in at right back/centre forward. Looking at the standard of first choice centre back we can attract I think anyone else we have as second choice (fourth choice really if we're playing 3 CBs) is probably going to be liable to chuck as many goals in as Mugabi does without some of the upsides. 

Edited by YassinMoutaouakil

35 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

It's been interesting to hear Kettlewell speak about the transfer stuff. I'm paraphrasing but he's essentially been saying that he wanted to add a couple on top of what we already have/had - which at the time was pre-Souaré/Spencer leaving so we were sitting on around 20/21 bodies.

Taking him on his word that means that ideally he'd like a squad of 22/23.

Making the assumptions that Wilkinson is next to be announced to have left and that McGinley/Maguire coming back aren't being viewed as credible replacements for anyone that would leave us with a current First Team squad of 18.

Realistically we could be looking at another 4 or 5 to come in. Again, reading between the lines from what Kettlewell has been saying it sounds like he's expecting to be busy in this window.

I mean, we brought 9 in last January so I guess 4 or 5 sounds do-able - Jimmy Furlong, a RWB, a CB and a #6?

If Maguire gets punted back like McGinley will we not have to pay their wages again reducing the budget to bring others in ?