Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

Aye that's a shame about Spencer. SOD/McGinn aren't ideal options at right back in our system due to lack of pace.  We could do with a good number of players in different positions but I'd think the priority

Right wing back - I'm convinced he knows he can't play Spittal there. But I'm less convinced he won't settle to play SOD there if he's not needed in the central defence.

Left wing back - Defintley need cover/challenge for Gent. Hope it's not Toby come the end of January.

Forward - I reckon Wilko is away so Ketts will look to replace. I just have my fingers crossed it's someone slightly different. This 3 up top he is liking more and more leads me to think Ketts might actually realise having a wingery/across the front 3 forward is useful.

Central defender - Realistically we have Mugabi, Butcher fit. Blaney coming back this month and Casey back mid Feb latest. Could see us sticking with that. Toby can play left of a back 3 too....

Central midfield - We don't need anymore central midfielders unless they are actually different to the ones we have. Which means a solid defensive kicking one basically to do the job Paton struggles to do and Davor kind of does.

Edited by eliphas

34 minutes ago, redstarcvedza said:

If Maguire gets punted back like McGinley will we not have to pay their wages again reducing the budget to bring others in ?

I mean, I'd have thought we'd have been contributing to their wages anyway and tbh, I'd be surprised if having them back would move the needle much in terms of what we're planning on doing by which I mean if we've got the opportunity to bring the players we want in I doubt we'll walk away from that because we're having to pay Barry Maguire and Nathan McGinley.

Looking back to summer a lot of the movement out was down to the fact that we felt we had too many players and (I guess) we were trying to get the wages:turnover ratio under control - or more accurately if we wanted to bring players in we needed to move a bunch out because there was no appetite for us sitting on 26/27 bodies with a bunch of them not contributing as was often the case when Robinson and Alexander were here.

The irony there is, of course, that we've found ourselves in the position where we don't have enough players.

Either way, as @crazylegsjoe_mfc already mentioned Barry Maguire can't play for another team other than ourselves or Kidderminster so unless there's some weird loophole (I don't think there is) I'd imagine he'll see out the remainder of his deal as an option for our bench and seeing as McGinley didn't play a minute for Thistle then we're not stuck with him so a mutual consent to let him go and explore other opportunities is on the table - again, I'd be surprised if that actually made much of a dent in our budget.

Edited by capt_oats

4 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

I mean, I'd have thought we'd have been contributing to their wages anyway and tbh, I'd be surprised if having them back would move the needle much in terms of what we're planning on doing by which I mean if we've got the opportunity to bring the players we want in I doubt we'll walk away from that because we're having to pay Barry Maguire and Nathan McGinley.

Looking back to summer a lot of the movement out was down to the fact that we felt we had too many players and (I guess) we were trying to get the wages:turnover ratio under control - or more accurately if we wanted to bring players in we needed to move a bunch out because there was no appetite for us sitting on 26/27 bodies with a bunch of them not contributing as was often the case when Robinson and Alexander were here.

The irony there is, of course, that we've found ourselves in the position where we don't have enough players.

Either way, as @crazylegsjoe_mfc already mentioned Barry Maguire can't play for another team other than ourselves or Kidderminster so unless there's some weird loophole (I don't think there is) I'd imagine he'll see out the remainder of his deal as an option for our bench and seeing as McGinley didn't play a minute for Thistle then we're not stuck with him so a mutual consent to let him go and explore other opportunities is on the table - again, I'd be surprised if that actually made much of a dent in our budget.

In a weird way, I'm actually fine about having McGinley and/or Maguire as options off the bench for the second half of the season as squad players. They shouldn't be first team starters and I'm no huge fan of either but they can definitely 'do a job' for 20 minutes or the odd game here and there.

My issue is if them being here blocks us getting in someone markedly better or stops some youth player coming through (which doesn't seem to be too big an issue at the moment tbf)

Oli Shaw can do one though.

2 hours ago, well fan for life said:

So this probably leaves us needing a RWB/RB, a 6 and a centre half at minimum. Leaves our paper thin squad looking even thinner than thin. 

Dont worry, we've a couple of absolute fucking no hopers you can sign and somehow turn into prime Baresi, Cafu, and Makelele.

20 minutes ago, eliphas said:

In a weird way, I'm actually fine about having McGinley and/or Maguire as options off the bench for the second half of the season as squad players. They shouldn't be first team starters and I'm no huge fan of either but they can definitely 'do a job' for 20 minutes or the odd game here and there.

My issue is if them being here blocks us getting in someone markedly better or stops some youth player coming through (which doesn't seem to be too big an issue at the moment tbf)

Oli Shaw can do one though.

Aye. I think that's the caveat/distinction I'm making in saying as long as they aren't being viewed as credible replacements and you kind of alluded to it in your previous post re: Toby/Gent.

As long as we're not viewing McGinley coming back as a replacement for Souaré and we're actively looking to recruit additional bodies (the James Furlong rumour for example) then...fine?

32 minutes ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

Bair radar pls

28 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

100% not even as a bit.

Genuinely curious to see the difference between him at St Johnstone compared with us.

bair.thumb.png.07ecc0481054215995d83df7a3bf8af9.png

Big Daddy Bair is eating well this season 😂

2 hours ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

I honestly cannot believe Barry Maguire is still contracted to us

When is his testimonial? 

4 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

bair.thumb.png.07ecc0481054215995d83df7a3bf8af9.png

Big Daddy Bair is eating well this season 😂

Does that Aerial one just mean you launched the baw at him? 

Just now, Busta Nut said:

Does that Aerial one just mean you launched the baw at him? 

Effectively aye.

DavidsonBall was a hell of a ride.

Surely Lamie is an upgrade on big Bevis? I've never rated Lamie (as I've went into detail before) but he's been very good for us on the left side of a 3 to the point that I wouldn't be upset if we signed him permanently.

1 hour ago, mcfadden22 said:

If Spencer can go back to Hull early can we get Lamie back from Dundee early?  Would we want Lamie back from Dundee early

Huddersfield. It's Furlong who's at Hull.

As @rowsdower says it depends on what the agreement it. If there's a recall option then there would be nothing to stop us.

Whether we'd want to is a different story.

As @crazylegsjoe_mfc pointed out a few pages back when I'd raised the question given the injuries to Blaney and Casey the loan to Dundee seemed very much like a line being drawn and (while I wouldn't expect him to say anything to the contrary) Lamie was quoted as saying he'd be open to making the move permanent so given he's getting games at Dens I can't imagine he'd be doing cartwheels at the idea of being hauled back to ML1 to cover our injuries.

46 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

Surely Lamie is an upgrade on big Bevis? I've never rated Lamie (as I've went into detail before) but he's been very good for us on the left side of a 3 to the point that I wouldn't be upset if we signed him permanently.

Not really. Not least because Mugabi's right sided and Lamie's obviously left so we wouldn't really be solving anything there.

We've been using Bevis in the centre of our back 3 on account of the injury to Butcher and it's not really his game but equally it's not Lamie's either - I *think* we tried him in there once or twice in the past. We're also covered for the left side of the back 3 with Blaney and Casey the latter of whom kept Lamie out the side in the 2nd half of last season but is out with ankle ligament damage but should be back at the end of the month and the former has been absolutely fine but appears to have tweaked his hamstring.

@YassinMoutaouakil gives a good explanation of why it's likely Bev has stuck around as long as he has on the other page:

4 hours ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

On Bevis, I think he's been here for four years for a reason, even if he's rarely been a nailed on first pick in that period. He's good for a few goals a season, can be immense in the air and fill in at right back/centre forward. Looking at the standard of first choice centre back we can attract I think anyone else we have as second choice (fourth choice really if we're playing 3 CBs) is probably going to be liable to chuck as many goals in as Mugabi does without some of the upsides. 

And that's the thing the impression Lamie has always given when he's been at Fir Park is that he thinks he should be a first pick and his nose has generally been put out of joint when he's been benched whereas Bevis seems a lot more comfortable with his squad role. The issue we've had is that we've probably had to rely on him far more than we've intended on account of injuries.

I doubt Dundee would be as daft as to f**k things up like St Johnstone did with their PCA for MacPherson (where they announced they were signing him on a PCA before the window closed so St Mirren recalled him meaning they'd to hand over cash to get him back) but if they wanted to offer the bag of balls they originally put on the table when Lamie signed the PCA with you originally I doubt we'd stand in the way of things to make it a permanent move.

Edited by capt_oats

17 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

I was never as big a critic of Lamie as others are and would agree he's a definite upgrade on Mugabi.

The problem is that I think Lamie thinks of himself as a first pick and is paid accordingly, whereas Mugabi is happy being the first backup who will no doubt get games over the course of the season and is paid accordingly.

I don't know what either get paid, but I imagine the gap in their ability is smaller than the gap in their pay.