Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

23 minutes ago, crazylegsjoe_mfc said:

He's out of contract at the end of the season, so they wouldn't need permission, which I reckon goes in our favour. If they're not going to get a few for him, then surely they won't be too fussed about where he plays. I guess him training with them in the break might have been them gauging whether it's worth extending his deal or not.

IIRC the pre-contract rules in England are different so I don’t think clubs down there would be able to speak to him in the same way as they can up here.

Pretty sure that was the point Grezza made when he was blindsided by United signing Watt on the PCA.

I'm not sure if that only applies to teams in the same league or if it's an association wide thing - clearly the PL and EFL are separate organisations.

IMG_6656.thumb.jpeg.b257bd383cdf969df5a1f1589999b27c.jpeg

https://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/rangers/motherwells-alexander-wants-scotland-to-copy-england-over-pre-contract-3520547

Edited by capt_oats

Just now, Vegetableman said:

Any tips of where to park at /near your ground  ? looks a bit of a mare , how the heck do you handle the big crowds ?

It's a faff for the away end but any of the surrounding streets tbh. You won't be able to park round the back of the away stand as that's all controlled but the other side you're right as rain. 

Adele Street/Catherine Street and those around it are all fair game. 

I think I’ve always instinctively been unsure about Montgomery because he looks about 12 years old.

Setting aside irrational biases like that though, I think swapping him in for Souaré seems an entirely sensible bit of business.

Fwiw, I don’t think we’re any more/less focused on LWB than any other position.

I mean, we definitely need one, just as we need to fill the various other positions.

Aye, to be honest, if Penney is not fussed and the Furlong deal isn't moving then I'd take Montgomery to challenge Gent. I don't particularly like loaning from clubs in the same league but....you can only do what you can do I guess.

He can play up the pitch a bit as well if memory serves?

Edited by eliphas

Like others I don't love the idea of our two players for a position both being loans but if Montgomery is cheap, solid and available and we push that problem to summer while focusing on others now...fair enough.

From memory he had a slow start at St Johnstone but eventually looked decent? No idea how his current form is but hard to judge regardless given Fleetwood.

There'll no doubt be some business where we can't avoid waiting to the last minute but I'd hope we get some bodies in this week for a run against Alloa given the importance of the St J game. Especially when they have got folk in the door already settling in.

Montgomery certainly won’t be cheap! Sure he was one of our highest earners at St J! However he got better and better as the season went on and I’m sure most saints fans would have welcomed him back with open arms. Great signing and seems a good fit for Motherwell even if temporary. 

Got pace down the left flank and likes to drive forward. Great at tracking back too. Has been injury prone at Aberdeen and Fleetwood but he was really solid for us so hopefully he’s over the worst of his injuries. 

54 minutes ago, eliphas said:

Aye, to be honest, if Penney is not fussed and the Furlong deal isn't moving then I'd take Montgomery to challenge Gent. I don't particularly like loaning from clubs in the same league but....you can only do what you can do I guess.

He can play up the pitch a bit as well if memory serves?

Aye. He's a forward/winger who's been converted to play LB/LWB.

I seem to recall had a fairly shite time at Aberdeen but from a quick check that was in the death throes of the Glass era and it looks like he was being used as a LB whereas he'll more than likely be playing as LWB/left mid in whichever variation of 343/3412/352 Kettlewell goes with.

As I say, this feels like an entirely sensible move.

9 minutes ago, lindz105 said:

Montgomery certainly won’t be cheap! Sure he was one of our highest earners at St J! However he got better and better as the season went on and I’m sure most saints fans would have welcomed him back with open arms. Great signing and seems a good fit for Motherwell even if temporary. 

Got pace down the left flank and likes to drive forward. Great at tracking back too. Has been injury prone at Aberdeen and Fleetwood but he was really solid for us so hopefully he’s over the worst of his injuries. 

Think you're overselling Montgomery slightly to be honest. He's a good young player who was improving at saints no doubt both going forward and defensively; however I think he was made to look better in saints fans eyes due to how poor we actually were and the fact he'd occasionally beat a few players, which was few and far between. There's a part of me that thinks he was actually helped massively by Andy Considine in the early part of the season as he was defensively naïve. 

Would I take him back, yes absolutely as I think he's got the ability to improve on his game, but would I want to rely on him defensively for a full game probably not. He's far from the finished article. 

9 hours ago, Stevie Kirk said:

I wonder what formation we are going to play ? Montgomery Gent Penney and Furlong all vying for left back - sounds like Taylor Swift’s BACS details have come through.

I think we was only moved to left back past few years as he was never going to make it with us as a winger. I'm guessing if he is going on loan we would want some assurances it would be primarily as a left back.

1 minute ago, Widge said:

Think you're overselling Montgomery slightly to be honest. He's a good young player who was improving at saints no doubt both going forward and defensively; however I think he was made to look better in saints fans eyes due to how poor we actually were and the fact he'd occasionally beat a few players, which was few and far between. There's a part of me that thinks he was actually helped massively by Andy Considine in the early part of the season as he was defensively naïve. 

Would I take him back, yes absolutely as I think he's got the ability to improve on his game, but would I want to rely on him defensively for a full game probably not. He's far from the finished article. 

Fair. He definitely wasn’t the finished article but I do think he improved massively over the season. Like you say, perhaps Considines experience made him look better than he was but seems a good fit for Motherwell and with his contract up with Celtic in 2025 it’s make or break time. Another good loan spell at Motherwell could see him as one Celtic could develop but if he’s inconsistent or injury prone again then I think he could be let go by Celtic and in that case I still think he would be a great signing for any other club in the spfl! 

I guess if Montgomery is 'a thing' then it means there's no Penney or Furlong just now.  It's a pretty low risk move as cover/competition for Gent, and if it fills a gap then so be it.

All things considered I'd prefer us to try and develop Ewan Wilson into a long term LB option but I guess it'll depend how he's fared out on loan, I've got no sense as to whether he's on a Max Johnston-esque trajectory at the mo.