Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

3 minutes ago, Kempes said:

Why no hospitality for this match? Asking for a friend.

Sadly not.

Screenshot_20240115_143604_Chrome.thumb.jpg.3a30a658249a846741e73f1c83ecc8ea.jpg

I think primarily, the reason as to WHY is they don't think they can sell enough hospitality tickets to make it worth while.

If it was, let say, Aberdeen or Dundee United, then they would have put some up for sale.

Edited by Phillips455

22 minutes ago, dezz said:

I reckon we need; LWB, RWB, CB, CM (x2?) and a forward. 

I'll bet that we're going to get;

LWB, CM, Anywhere-Across-The-Front-Three out of that list.

We'll soldier on with SODs at RWB, Miller will return and we'll play a back three of Mugabi, Butcher and McGinn, and either Montgomery/Gent at LWB.

An Anywhere-Across-The-Front-Three on the right, Gent/Montgomery on the left means we could also change our formation to having a front three, either side of Bair/Biereth

33 minutes ago, dezz said:

That’s a shitter for both the team and the player. We’ll be sliding down those fouls won/comitted tables that P&B posts on Twitter. 

Between injuries, departures and other simply not being good enough, I reckon we need; LWB, RWB, CB, CM (x2?) and a forward. Could be a busy couple of weeks! 

I see that's Monty following Gent on IG now so I guess that's one of those accounted for now. :)

28 minutes ago, Neil86 said:

I totally missed that, I went onto the website and only seen this;

image.thumb.png.153919b565d035d606673052fd326e0e.png

Ah but we do not need to spend on media/comms, even if it is for things that make us money.

13 minutes ago, thisGRAEME said:

We'll soldier on with SODs at RWB, Miller will return and we'll play a back three of Mugabi, Butcher and McGinn, and either Montgomery/Gent at LWB.

An Anywhere-Across-The-Front-Three on the right, Gent/Montgomery on the left means we could also change our formation to having a front three, either side of Bair/Biereth

Probably. But with the Slattery injury now confirmed we are (this transfer window) 4 1st team players down on what everyone acknowledged was a paper thin squad. We are firmly entrenched in a relegation dogfight so this window is as important as the last Jan window was.

With Montgomery looking odds on to join, I still think we need another 4 or 5 players that can play in the 1st team either as 1st choice or as a very decent back up should we get more injuries / suspensions which will happen. 

1 hour ago, thisGRAEME said:

If that's all we get we're maybe, possibly, just about fine if everyone stays fit and totally screwed if not.

1 minute ago, OhWell said:

Surely Slattery's injury plus the signing of a lwb means we won't have to see Spittal play wingback again

It’s Kettlewell who the f**k knows. This season he has made some wild choices. Still wouldnt put it by him to drop Obika into midfield play Spittal RWB and stick with SODs as centrebhalf. 

2 hours ago, capt_oats said:

Tbf I don't necessarily think Kettlewell doesn't trust Gent. Certainly not enough to send him back.

It's probably more the case that he's less inclined to go through the 2nd half of the season with him as our first choice - if that makes sense.

On RB I wondered if we might be holding off to see if we'd get Spencer back given we're the only other team he can play for now but I see he started for Huddersfield against Plymouth at the weekend so I'm guessing that ship has sailed.

Fully expect him to be replaced by another regen with a similar profile though.

1 hour ago, Busta Nut said:

He's started twice I've noticed so as you said I doubt he's coming back. 

Possibly putting two & two together and getting 46, but a long shot of going for Calvin Ramsay on loan?  Liverpool recalled him as he wasn't getting much of a look-in at Preston. 

He needs minutes, we need a right wing-back...

3 minutes ago, Desp said:

Possibly putting two & two together and getting 46, but a long shot of going for Calvin Ramsay on loan?  Liverpool recalled him as he wasn't getting much of a look-in at Preston. 

That would be a superb move. If we can sell it along the lines of ‘look how much Beck progressed at Dundee’. Also a league he knows.

Edited by Alanos

1 hour ago, thisGRAEME said:

Yeah, you're probably right.

Obviously the likes of Mahon and Campbell won't have been on much money but with the other senior departures hopefully we can reinvest in some better quality if we're looking at 4 or 5 out and potentially only 3 in. Suppose we're back to picking up the tab for Maguire and Toby now though. 

13 minutes ago, Desp said:

Id bite your hand off for that!

Tbh, I'm probably a bit more optimistic in terms of the numbers we might bring in.

I'd like to think we'll replace what's gone out the door (Souaré, Spencer and Wilko) with one or two on top of that. Before the window opened Kettlewell was quite clear in saying he felt we needed to add a couple on top of what we already had.

Taking a quick look through previous seasons I think the fewest we've brought in was back in 15/16 when we only seemed to bring Gomis in on loan from Hearts (plus McFadden in December). The caveat there was we started the season with a daft sized squad when Baraclough was running around signing Theo Robinson and David Clarkson so McGhee had clearly been telt to trim the squad.

Here are our January/Winter signings since then:
16/17 - Elliot Frear, Shea Gordon, Stephen Pearson (February), Russell Griffiths (loan), Zak Jules (loan) = 5
17/18 - Curtis Main, Nadir Ciftci, Tom Aldred, Stephen Hendrie = 4
18/19 - Ross McCormack (loan), Gboly Ariyibi (loan) = 2
19/20 - Tony Watt (February), Harry Robinson (March), Mikael Ndjoli (loan), Rolando Aarons (loan) = 4
20/21 - Steven Lawless, Sam Foley, Liam Kelly (loan), Harry Smith (loan), Jordan Roberts (loan), Eddie Nolan (loan), Tyler Magloire (loan) = 7
21/22 - Ross Tierney, Victor Nirennold, Joseph Efford, Robbie Mahon (March), Liam Shaw (loan) = 5
22/23 - Shane Blaney, Mikael Mandron, Riku Danzaki, Jack Aitchison, Dan Casey, Calum Butcher, Harry Paton (April), Ollie Crankshaw (loan), James Furlong (loan), Jonathan Obika (loan) = 10 (lol)

That's not including the likes of Peter Hartley, Robbie Crawford and Jordan Roberts who all made their loans permanent in January. It's clearly worth mentioning that we brought Hastie back from loan in the 18/19 season as well.

I mean, I don't see us going on a trolley dash akin to last season but we've generally been good for getting 4 or 5 in through the winter window if they're needed.

28 minutes ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

I know we were apparently close to Jeando Fuchs last January, he barely seems to get a game at Peterborough still so wonder if that will be revisited.

It looks like he's been injured tbf.

Peterboro had put him on the "transfer list" when they announced their retained list in the summer though.

Screenshot2024-01-15at16_45_33.thumb.png.ead1dcf27c50c57ff40048bba7ed97d7.png

Screenshot2024-01-15at16_48_57.thumb.png.3432162dc9a5a4107835e1728c99fab2.png

https://www.theposh.com/news/posh-confirm-number-players-available-transfer

43 minutes ago, Desp said:

And the good thing is, he's already very experienced at taking stick from the East Stand.

1 hour ago, OhWell said:

Surely Slattery's injury plus the signing of a lwb means we won't have to see Spittal play wingback again

Unless we sign a replacement for Spencer I can still see SK sticking him on the right where he is completely wasted.