Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

8 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

Agree with that.

Although in fairness to the point about avoiding the bottom two, listening to Kettlewell's presser it sounds like we absolutely will be bringing bodies in. Someone mentioned it earlier but it sounds like there's a decent chance we'll be a lot busier than expected.

Whether they're the required quality is a different story but the suggestion we're keen on Scott Fraser is quite the step up from Andy Halliday tbf.

Kettlewell sounded like he wanted a net gain of a couple, bodies wise, pre window - presumably knowing who was definitely leaving and possibly counting returnees as the first couple. That would have been a snappy window.

We're now two further down unexpectedly, starters at that. That's a window which needs to be not only busy include at least three nailed on starters that improve the first XI.

I'm not writing us off by any means, there's definitely still a path to 10th. But it's a damn narrow one now and it's safe to say any more missteps or even simple injury bad luck and we're in the bottom two.

Edited by Handsome_Devil
Typo

Remember, this time last year, Hammell brought in a whole stack of players but wasn't able to improve the performances or results, despite some of them going on to be good signings. We need to hope Kettlewell can get a tune out of whoever he does bring in this time around as well otherwise we're looking at a repeat of changing manager again. 

16 minutes ago, Archie McSquackle said:

Remember, this time last year, Hammell brought in a whole stack of players but wasn't able to improve the performances or results, despite some of them going on to be good signings. We need to hope Kettlewell can get a tune out of whoever he does bring in this time around as well otherwise we're looking at a repeat of changing manager again. 

Hammell won the first cup game, it’s the next round when the axe could fall.

7 minutes ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

Ross County don't seem too far off a meltdown tbh but tbf they have also put 6 past us this season 

A fair point - as much as we're in moan overload this week, it's also not a massive stretch to imagine County or St J screwing it up as well or instead.

Four more wins will have us close to safe, five will definitely do it. 

1 hour ago, Gianfranco said:

I don’t really know much about him but I’m seeing Scott Fraser in the Sean Goss role. 

Possibly more of a Slattery replacement (caveat this is Fraser from last season, wibbly wobbly rebuild the wall type shit means my current database is funky) based on this?

fraser.thumb.png.299218359448054012543690ee15f85c.png

He'd be a coup regardless IMO, unless hes gone massively downhill in the last 12 months.

2 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Possibly more of a Slattery replacement (caveat this is Fraser from last season, wibbly wobbly rebuild the wall type shit means my current database is funky) based on this?

He'd be a coup regardless IMO, unless hes gone massively downhill in the last 12 months.

Aye going by the videos I watched earlier he looks far more advanced than Goss was.

Just now, capt_oats said:

Aye going by the videos I watched earlier he looks far more advanced than Goss was.

Aye. Think hes played deeper this season, but unsure if thats right as WyScouts position naming is shit.

A midfield of Miller, Fraser and Spittal would be interesting, but should allow some form of controlled possession. Montgomery loved a one-two aswell so that could be interesting.

Think the vision might be...

Kelly

SOD - McGinn - Butcher - Casey - Montgomery

Miller - Halliday

Spittal - Fraser

Bair

...?

Although I know its said you're not that interested in Halliday, I think panic + ease of deal + experienced player + need numbers = obvious move

13 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Aye. Think hes played deeper this season, but unsure if thats right as WyScouts position naming is shit.

A midfield of Miller, Fraser and Spittal would be interesting, but should allow some form of controlled possession. Montgomery loved a one-two aswell so that could be interesting.

Kelly

Miller - Halliday

Spittal - Fraser

Bair

...?

Although I know its said you're not that interested in Halliday, I think panic + ease of deal + experienced player + need numbers = obvious move

Ok, so I'm now convinced we finish top 6. All over the place.

16 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Kelly

Miller - Halliday

Spittal - Fraser

Bair

...?

Not a massive fan of playing one up top. I like Bair, but there's just not nearly enough goals in that team.

7 minutes ago, camer0n_mcd said:

Not a massive fan of playing one up top. I like Bair, but there's just not nearly enough goals in that team.

I just wondered if thats where Kettlewells head will go.

2 minutes ago, eliphas said:

One up top can work with the right right support running from midfield and out wide. We've not really managed both this season with one up.

That's some heavy lifting from Spittal and Gent (if he gets to be a winger) plus whomever we recruit. 

Even the best teams can struggle to give support to a solitary striker.  I'd have the fear, bigly, if we went that way