Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

Kind of touched on it in terms of recent form in my earlier post but it occurred to me that we began starting Gent and Zdravkovski after the 3-0 shambles against County in Dingwall.

I guess there are other factors but these are our results since that point:

Screenshot2024-01-28at11_00_15.thumb.png.f3dc3a22d1b1494f449d2357330eb776.png

2 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

Kind of touched on it in terms of recent form in my earlier post but it occurred to me that we began starting Gent and Zdravkovski after the 3-0 shambles against County in Dingwall.

Was frustrating when we kept losing that Kettlewell wouldn't start either ... until he had no real choice

1 minute ago, capt_oats said:

Not a surprise we are more balanced with the two of them in the team. Just that it took so long for Kettlewell to see it. The result at County, I am 💯 sure would not have happened with Gent & Davor starting. 

1 hour ago, Archie McSquackle said:

The Record has Nahmani leaving St. Mirren but possibly staying in Scotland. We're not specially mentioned but it sounds right up our street. 

I'd say Motherwell or St.Johnstone likely candidates. The latter as they just signed an Israeli internationalist.

42 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

Paul McGinn returning at roughly the same time has played a part in this as well I reckon

2 hours ago, capt_oats said:

Davor has unquestionably added some solidity in the midfield and looks like a mid-table midfielder in our league - so it really does seem weird that he was so far out of contention that a jobbing striker that had never played in there before in his life was chosen ahead of him. Must be something more to that.

With Gent, I really see why we want to use him as an attacker as 80% of the good stuff he does is going forward. Positionally, he is a bit ropy and yesterday he was pretty sloppy at times in truth. I'm 100% wanting him to stay in the team as he's the best crosser in the squad and an actual penalty box striker will love that type of service - but we need to work out how to cover him (and McGinn and Butcher did a great job with that yesterday).

Now that Miller is back and Nicholson and Halliday are competing for places in the first team how are we likely to fit them in? Do we do more rotation rather then Spittal flogging himself for every 90 minutes? 

1 minute ago, ropy said:

Now that Miller is back and Nicholson and Halliday are competing for places in the first team how are we likely to fit them in? Do we do more rotation rather then Spittal flogging himself for every 90 minutes? 

A lot depends on the striker(s) we bring in. If Spittal can continue as is behind a single striker, I think our midfield will initially be Miller and Halliday in front of Davor.

Where it gets really interesting is if we end up going back to two up top to leave only three spots in the middle. Spittal is poty (assuming Biereth ruled out) so he's playing and I don't think there's much doubt a genuine six has helped hugely. So Davor is in. I'd be tempted to start Halliday and use Miller off the bench, at least initially.

I suspect a slightly unbalanced 3-5-1-1 to continue tho.

57 minutes ago, Swello said:

With Gent, I really see why we want to use him as an attacker as 80% of the good stuff he does is going forward. Positionally, he is a bit ropy and yesterday he was pretty sloppy at times in truth. I'm 100% wanting him to stay in the team as he's the best crosser in the squad and an actual penalty box striker will love that type of service - but we need to work out how to cover him (and McGinn and Butcher did a great job with that yesterday).

Massively agree with this and tbh, while I get that it's come late in the day and we probably weren't anticipating having to be in the market for that area of the park, if it turns out that Montgomery is indeed broken then I kind of hope we make an effort to replace him so we're able to use Gent further up the park.

Clearly the forwards are the priority but whether it a case of asking Hull about Furlong again or going back to Matt Penney or whatever it would be good if we could.

Having legitimate bench options is a big deal when we have 5 substitutions at our disposal. We dont have many options for tactical substitutions, plus we have a number of injury risks. The worry about having too many decent players rarely pans out.

As mentioned above, Spittal has barely missed a minute this season, and we got into the last 10 minutes yesterday with St J having no intention of trying to win the game, and we couldn't do anything about it

With Casey due back, and Miller getting more minutes, I assume that any remaining signings will be attackers. I just can't see us brining in a replacement for montgomery, unless we're able to send him back, which seems unlikely, as that eould eat away further at the little funds we have.

14 minutes ago, rowsdower said:

Having legitimate bench options is a big deal when we have 5 substitutions at our disposal. We dont have many options for tactical substitutions, plus we have a number of injury risks. The worry about having too many decent players rarely pans out.

As mentioned above, Spittal has barely missed a minute this season, and we got into the last 10 minutes yesterday with St J having no intention of trying to win the game, and we couldn't do anything about it

We did remove Davor for Nicholson (which gave me mega Robinson 0-1 flashbacks btw) but yeah, a change for Bair was notably lacking.

I'm not convinced we would have gone two up top even if was viable mind.

Howdy, MFs.

Thought we weke okay yesterday, but St. Johnstone were there for the taking.

Kelly's white shirt made me think that late header had squirmed over the line. Apologies to those around me for the unpleasant aroma it produced from me.

COYW!

2 hours ago, Handsome_Devil said:

We did remove Davor for Nicholson (which gave me mega Robinson 0-1 flashbacks btw) but yeah, a change for Bair was notably lacking.

I'm not convinced we would have gone two up top even if was viable mind.

From what Kettlewell said he was just removing the guys with yellow cards, Kelly was next off if required.

Halliday had done his hour - it made sense to take him off at that point given how little he's been playing and Kettlewell looked like he was explaining to Davor why he took him off, so it's pretty plausible that the yellow card/pish referee combo came into his thinking.