Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

13 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

Definitely.

The other thing is that it seems to be the default mindset of the 'modern fitba' fan' to just fire up Wiki and make a judgement based on games/goals without framing it or giving any context.

18 of those 25 appearances have been at Championship level - if he's scoring regularly in that league then either a) Blackburn aren't going to be loaning him out or b) we can't afford to buy him.

Which brings us back to the point that any striker that we sign in a January window is unlikely to be in a rich vein of form however there may be something underlying which might make them a fit for us. Which, tbf, is a point Kettlewell was making in a press conference the other week.

I think the profile of the strikers we signed this summer is an indication of what we can expect.

A striker who is playing for a similar club at the same level of us, who's not firing and in need of a fresh start (Bair)
An academy striker from down south, who has limited first-team experience, with a previous loan that didn't quite go to plan (Biereth)
An English lower league journeyman with a reasonably good goalscoring record, who's not kicked on since returning from injury (Wilkinson)
A striker who has played at this level but is out of the picture at a club down south (Shaw)
A veteran, perma-crock who scored a few goals for St. Mirren once upon a time (Obika)

I jest with the last one obviously, but when it comes down to it, those are the types of profile I think we can expect.

Unfortunately we are unlikely to be on the other end of the Biereth situation. I can't foresee a club pulling a player back from a successful loan and sending them to Motherwell. If there's a player who's scoring regularly in say League Two in England, I think the parent club would leave them be, rather than thinking they'd be better off moving up here.

Edited by crazylegsjoe_mfc

51 minutes ago, crazylegsjoe_mfc said:

I think the profile of the strikers we signed this summer is an indication of what we can expect.

A striker who is playing for a similar club at the same level of us, who's not firing and in need of a fresh start (Bair)
An academy striker from down south, who has limited first-team experience, with a previous loan that didn't quite go to plan (Biereth)
An English lower league journeyman with a reasonably good goalscoring record, who's not kicked on since returning from injury (Wilkinson)
A striker who has played at this level but is out of the picture at a club down south (Shaw)
A veteran, perma-crock who scored a few goals for St. Mirren once upon a time (Obika)

I jest with the last one obviously, but when it comes down to it, those are the types of profile I think we can expect.

Unfortunately we are unlikely to be on the other end of the Biereth situation. I can't foresee a club pulling a player back from a successful loan and sending them to Motherwell. If there's a player who's scoring regularly in say League Two in England, I think the parent club would leave them be, rather than thinking they'd be better off moving up here.

Agree with that but I'd say there's a variation of the Biereth situation in so much as there may be a PL club with an Academy player who's playing at a high level for their 23s who hasn't yet had a loan out.

For example (not a striker fwiw):

That article mentions "the two Scottish giants " so that either rules us out or the guy likes a bit of hyperbole!

It doesn't excite me but I can see the sense in Brophy as back-up or an option off the bench as we can't continue with only one fit first team forward.

Other than Dundee, I'm not really aware of anyone doing much business of note. I can see a few clubs not really doing much tomorrow and a few picking up a few late desperation signings. I'm a bit worried that if we were signing anyone half-decent we would have announced them by now.

If we do "Adding international experience" as we announce Brophy I am going to fucking lose my mind.

Also we aren't signing Kev, you need to realise this.

Edited by thisGRAEME
Being a fucking dingbat