Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

17 minutes ago, Quatermass said:

I’d love for him to turn it around in the next 14 fixtures and have us completely safe by the start of the split but I just can’t see it. Some of that is down to what he has inherited, what he has signed and his own failings in respect to changes/substitutions.

I don't know if you mean it literally but completely safe by the split is highly unlikely...there is very rarely 15 points from 11th to 7th after 33 games, I think.

If he keeps going with the progress from after the Dingwall game to Ross County at home we'll be safe enough in due course and he'll be our manager next season. Probably correctly.

It's why last night is such a major blow, if we'd shitfested through and got pumped by Celtic next round, we could stumble to safety and most people would have said fair enough at renewing. Instead he's undone a couple of months of repairs and improvements in 90 minutes.

You would hope that it's a season deal at best mind and even that should have some clauses in it to protect us.

1 minute ago, 'WellDel said:

You here to tout Adams as a replacement?

My reputation reaches far and wide I see. I wasn't - I'm more interested to see if a bad result in the cup will nullify any good work done in the league over the past month or so in the eyes of Motherwell fans.

I only seen the first half and the goals because I was at a 40th last night. 

It really annoyed me that we kept going long and high to Bair despite everyone knowing that’s not Theo’s strength and it’s very much Morton’s strength. See it’s not working and change something man. When we did pass it around a few times we looked fine.  

It was absolutely not the game to throw Miller back in from the start. McGinn has been really good for us but on numerous occasions yesterday his mis control followed by a daft forward charge to try and win it back left him out of position. 

I’m sick of Liam Kelly. I’m pretty sure the Keepers Union have pressed the ejector seat button on him. Also never a captain in a million years.

We will probably win 3-0 at Aberdeen now to make it even more annoying. 

18 minutes ago, 2426255 said:

My reputation reaches far and wide I see. I wasn't - I'm more interested to see if a bad result in the cup will nullify any good work done in the league over the past month or so in the eyes of Motherwell fans.

There's no doubt we'd looked a more cohesive unit in recent weeks, and the manner of the win over County may have inflated the hopes of some that a corner had been turned. Last night's performance served as a very timely reminder that the players standards remain highly inconsistent and the managers decisions verging on incompetent. Definitely some erosion of the shoots of goodwill that were growing after that showing.

Not to absolve Kelly of any blame here, but it can’t be good for his frame of mind knowing that the guys in front of him probably aren’t going to do their job at some point. We’re the fourth highest goal scorers in the league, yet only three teams have conceded more. Even first half against County the other night, at times they had acres of space and possession without pressure in and around the box. 

I’m assuming Kettlewell didn’t go out for a CB in the window because he’s hoping the return of Casey will solve the problem, but Im not convinced he and Butcher will hit the performance levels of last season. 

The whole long ball thing to Bair was a reaction to Morton completely shutting down the couple of attacking gameplans we have (Bevis/SOD berserker runs and Paton,Spittal interplay). So I don't really blame the players for that - all on Kettlewell not having an alternative system. 

The only thing that worked well was Gent's pace up the left. But even that can only last for so long and the end product wasn't really there 

Motherwell seem to very much have a captain's curse. Is there a huge amount of pressure behind the scenes with the role? because it seems that you can be a solid player but the minute you get the armband, you turn into the NBA players in space jam after their talent is stolen.

It's happened with almost every captain I can remember from the last 20 years where performances drop massively when they take the role.

1 hour ago, 2426255 said:

As explained by so many people, there's no real reason to sack him.

1. We have been paying for 3 managers last season which will impact budget.

2. The league performance is recovering. The immediate threat of relegation has been subsided with Ross county and Livingston forming a kind of safety net for now.

3. Who else could we get in? I doubt we could get anyone better in the short term. And we all know what happened in Ross county case.

4. He's out of contract by the summer (along with a lot of the squad).

All this combined means we should be planning for next season (possible new manager and signings). Kelly will go as I don't even think we will bother with a similar or reduced contract. 

Kettlewell is unlikely unless we somehow have a 100% record from here on out. 

We are in appethy mode with a bit of relegation fear (since the Morton game proves we will most likely shite it in that league). Just get this season tae f**k.

30 minutes ago, standupforthemotherwell said:

Motherwell seem to very much have a captain's curse. Is there a huge amount of pressure behind the scenes with the role? because it seems that you can be a solid player but the minute you get the armband, you turn into the NBA players in space jam after their talent is stolen.

It's happened with almost every captain I can remember from the last 20 years where performances drop massively when they take the role.

It's an interesting point and I would guess it's because we often end up giving it to folk who are unsuited to it because there's no one else.

From memory at least a couple of Lasley, craigan and Hammell spoke of not especially wanting it at first and it impacting their game. We have it to SOD out of hope and when Alexander fell out with him it was Kelly by default as the only adult left in the XI.

I can understand SK not wanting to rock the boat when there was, at first, no obvious alternative - Butcher was injured, Casey himself needs talked through games. Some people have mentioned McGinn but there's a reason he's not in the middle of the back three despite his sporting suitability and people here joke about 'normal Paul McGinn'.

Like others have mentioned, Halliday is captain in waiting over summer.

2 hours ago, standupforthemotherwell said:

I mean Lasley was generally a fine captain and player but aye, post-Las it feels very much like Stevie Hammell cursed amulet situation with captains.

We saw a drop off with Hartley post-injury, Gallagher went off a cliff and SOD never really seemed a good fit.

It’d be interesting to track where things started going sideways for Kelly because as @well fan for life said a couple of pages back he had a very good start to his Motherwell career and it’d be revisionist to deny that.

Said it before but Tait is probably the best captain we’ve had in that timeframe and he never officially had the role.

0_18433531.jpg

Edited by capt_oats

Kelly had a great second half of the season loan under Alexander 20/21 season 

From memory, I think Kelly had a decent season 21/22 that year saving us quite a few times. Not to the levels of 20/21 but much better than now 

G. Alexander left July 22 and N. Alexander came in Sept 22/23 season as a new GK coach 

He's gradually went down hill since then, so basically since G. Alexander left and /or since N. Alexander came in. Or you could say through the shambles of Hammell very ropey, looked fine when we had a settled Kettlewell back 3, and then back to shocking this year behind a revolving back line.

Edited by eliphas

I think Kelly is just a fucking idiot tbh. Relying on his reflexes rather than actually thinking is probably why he'll pull off the odd wonder save or penalty but we're seeing much more of the downside now on a pretty regular basis. Obviously he might be different behind closed doors but based on his interviews and general demeanour I can't really see him as captain material.

I was previously in the camp of "he's obviously not English Championship or Scotland international level, but he's a decent Motherwell goalkeeper and I'd be happy for him to stick around" but I'm past the point of defending him. Hopefully he goes to St Mirren.

5 hours ago, capt_oats said:

We saw a drop off with Hartley post-injury, Gallagher went off a cliff and SOD never really seemed a good fit.

It’d be interesting to track where things started going sideways for Kelly because as @well fan for life said a couple of pages back he had a very good start to his Motherwell career and it’d be revisionist to deny that.

Youve also got Carl McHugh who, to his credit, could see how the additional responsibility was affecting his game and gave it up. For some players, they could just do without the extra thing to think about - Kelly could be one of them. 

26 minutes ago, CoF said:

Youve also got Carl McHugh who, to his credit, could see how the additional responsibility was affecting his game and gave it up. For some players, they could just do without the extra thing to think about - Kelly could be one of them. 

I doubt oor Liam is one of life's great thinkers. Deciding which boot goes on which foot probably causes him a fair bit of deliberation.