Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

1 hour ago, Ron Aldo said:

I've probably been one of the biggest, moaniest, critical b*****ds as far as Kettlewell and this team are concerned but what a result that is. Manager and team deserves full credit and I'm quite happy to eat a very large slice of humble pie. 

Same

30 minutes ago, Handsome_Devil said:

He had a right moment in the first half when he inexplicably left one and their forward flicked it straight at Kelly.

Kelly himself had a couple of them but everything else was outstanding and the double save in the second half was reminiscent of old.

Bair was wonderful, again with one exception, but it's unfair on the rest to overplay any individual contributions, it was an outstanding team effort.

Today was one of those days where we played brilliantly a d got what we deserved including not being punished for every daft mistake.

Same as Mugabi above, SOD himself was the one who ridiculously lost his man and it took a Kelly save from about 2 yards out to bail him out. That's not a criticism really, he was brilliant today (and I'm not a great fan) but we just don't seem to have got off with many like that this season.

Well, I called that one massively wrongly and couldn't be more fucking delighted. Tremendous all round performance. 

Defenders threw themselves front of everything, midfielders did their bit at both ends, and up front big Theo absolutely terrorised Goldson. Beautiful to watch.

Casey's tackle on the wee flute band boy was poetry in motion, just a good honest laces through the ball and take anything in your path challenge. Nothing wrong with it whatsoever. Unfortunate if the laddie got injured,  but the seethe from their fans and tears from their manager post match were glorious!!.

11 minutes ago, Allroy for Prez said:

My heads up my arse and I’ve no idea how to handle this type of result. I/we have lived a lifetime since we last won there the league, I can scarcely get my head round it. 

Haha. Mental, isn't it. Literally over half my lifetime ago, never thought about that. 3rd at high school I was in 97. 

1 minute ago, eliphas said:

Haha. Mental, isn't it. Literally over half my lifetime ago, never thought about that. 3rd at high school I was in 97. 

I mentioned on losing to Morton that the nature of where we are means single wins or losses can have a huge impact on the perception of our season. Midtable and lose a cup QF at Parkhead is fine, midtable but lose at Morton in the fifth round less so...

League results will never atone for screwing the cup but this is not just three points. The last time we won at Ibrox in the league I was 14. You can imagine all I've done since then (though it's not a lot tbh, I'm not very interesting). There are literally generations of Motherwell fans who haven't seen this.

Most of our successful managers also had dips but what helped massively was the occasional absolutely iconic result and/or performance that carries them through the harder times. This is Kettlewell's. It effectively puts the debate over his merits to bed for months, takes us to the brink of safety already and let's everyone look forward to next term.

I haven't been fond of Kelly especially this neck of the season, but his performance today was out of this world. Hope this gives everyone on the pitch a confidence shot in the arm for the rest of the season.

Absolutely delighted for them