Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

Screenshot_20240407_064115_Chrome.thumb.jpg.c6377a0221bfc25a323a341b3b2a50df.jpg

Not that it's a particularly relevant timeframe for you, buts the league since we sacked MacLean is an interesting table to see.

15 hours ago, Busta Nut said:

There is a lot of apologist stuff goin on for him cos we've managed to scrape a lot of draws. In reality we're baws. Terrible to watch. He sticks with his weird 5-2-3 formation regardless of who's in the team or what changes he makes. The defence has been stinking all season and there's been zero attempt to rectify that. (I mean the centre, not the 18 WBs we signed). We go behind a lot, often against teams we could have beaten. 

I could not agree more re the lack of rectifying the centre of Defence. I thought that should have been priority number one in January, Regardless of how many centre backs we had signed.

I do disagree with us being terrible to watch though. Don't get me wrong I wouldn't say we are good to watch, cause that implies consistently good, and whilst we have been a very tough watch at times, I think middle to front we can be very easy on the eye. I think the goal of the season reel in may will be a corker.

Anyway, my piece on Kettlewell, Job seems done this season. If he can sort out the defence, which I probably trust him with on the basis he has made more good signings than bad (I think) then excellent. We as a club need the stability given everyone over his head doesn't have a clue what's going on right now.

The Bair, Moses Davor trio is something I've bought into for next season.

45 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Screenshot_20240407_064115_Chrome.thumb.jpg.c6377a0221bfc25a323a341b3b2a50df.jpg

Not that it's a particularly relevant timeframe for you, buts the league since we sacked MacLean is an interesting table to see.

The table just shows you what anyone paying attention should see.  We draw far too many games.  Think we're hitting record levels for us...

Some random thoughts :

4 fouls and no yellow cards, the team’s gone soft

will Spittal still get player of the year now that he has chucked us

Georgie Gent is a great player for us and seems to be enjoying himself

Is there a rule against playing the same defence twice in a season?

Bringing Butcher on to defend the lead was smart although I feared it would be our downfall 

If Bair could coordinate his feet he would be a world beater

i thought the pitch played better than the splishy splashy effort in August.

I was disappointed at Halliday running straight to the bench when subbed rather than acknowledging his team-mate on the half-way line. (It wasn't 50 yards, was it?)

Then he was first off the bench in the celebrations.

Still, hope we aren't tempted to offer him a deal just because he's been freed by the DCHSBs - he has improve dramatically between now and the end of the season.

43 minutes ago, Cedrics Mighty Well Army said:

I was disappointed at Halliday running straight to the bench when subbed rather than acknowledging his team-mate on the half-way line. (It wasn't 50 yards, was it?)

Then he was first off the bench in the celebrations.

Still, hope we aren't tempted to offer him a deal just because he's been freed by the DCHSBs - he has improve dramatically between now and the end of the season.

Halliday has had a poor couple of games - hard to tell whether it's just a wee loss of form or he's not actually fully fit after injury.

We've already signed him on a PCA btw.

1 hour ago, Antiochas III said:

The table just shows you what anyone paying attention should see.  We draw far too many games.  Think we're hitting record levels for us...

I'm surprised County are as far off the pace but basically it confirms what's been clear, there's almost f**k all between the shades of shite fifth to tenth. St Mirren will likely get Europe off the back of their good start - I also hadn't realised they had sunk back into the pack quite as much as they apparently have in terms of form.

7 minutes ago, Handsome_Devil said:

I'm surprised County are as far off the pace but basically it confirms what's been clear, there's almost f**k all between the shades of shite fifth to tenth. St Mirren will likely get Europe off the back of their good start - I also hadn't realised they had sunk back into the pack quite as much as they apparently have in terms of form.

I would imagine whether it's Dundee, Hibs or Us that makes it to the Top 6 - they/we would have an eye on 5th place and not just settling for being there. With St Mirren having Celtic away next week, it could be a fairly narrow gap come the split, especially if Hibs or Dundee win next weekend.

43 minutes ago, Handsome_Devil said:

Halliday has had a poor couple of games - hard to tell whether it's just a wee loss of form or he's not actually fully fit after injury.

We've already signed him on a PCA btw.

I'm not exactly an Andy Halliday stan but aye, it's not even the injury he picked up with us - he'd hardly kicked a baw for Hearts this season when he signed.

It feels quite daft for anyone to be making any sort of assessment of him given how little football he's played.

Prior to signing with us in January he'd played 46 minutes. As it stands he's only played 458 mins total.

Screenshot2024-04-07at09_51_17.thumb.png.df7942e708ce64e09d84de54ec35e580.png

Edited by capt_oats

1 hour ago, Swello said:

I would imagine whether it's Dundee, Hibs or Us that makes it to the Top 6 - they/we would have an eye on 5th place and not just settling for being there. With St Mirren having Celtic away next week, it could be a fairly narrow gap come the split, especially if Hibs or Dundee win next weekend.

I still think it's highly unlikely we'll make it but even if we do, for the sake of argument, four points is a lot to make up in five games. Psychologically it's little - as we remember from our own pant-wetting in this scenario - but in practice you're probably looking at two zeros v the OF and you can expect St Mirren to benefit by the league scheduling our trip to Paisley last, so the margin for error in two tough games - Killie on the plastic, Hearts at home - is tiny.

Essentially I'd love to have round 33 being live but even if it all works out, I wouldn't be checking where the passports are sadly.

7 minutes ago, Handsome_Devil said:

I still think it's highly unlikely we'll make it but even if we do, for the sake of argument, four points is a lot to make up in five games. Psychologically it's little - as we remember from our own pant-wetting in this scenario - but in practice you're probably looking at two zeros v the OF and you can expect St Mirren to benefit by the league scheduling our trip to Paisley last, so the margin for error in two tough games - Killie on the plastic, Hearts at home - is tiny.

Essentially I'd love to have round 33 being live but even if it all works out, I wouldn't be checking where the passports are sadly.

You think I'll be worried about Europe if we miraculously make top 6? I'll be too busy laughing myself to death.

2 minutes ago, well fan for life said:

You think I'll be worried about Europe if we miraculously make top 6? I'll be too busy laughing myself to death.

Ha, definitely not. 

Even being in a three-way final would be a cherry on top given how this season has been. It's just a bit like going mental winning a cup tie knowing you've got the OF in the next round - there's a big cash prize yes, sportingly though...bit meh.

The reason everyone loved the Livingston day wasn't being in the top six, it was Europe being possible/likely.

6 minutes ago, Busta Nut said:

It would be nice to make top 6 but It's very unlikely in my opinion. 

It's more likely than not isn't it?

Beat Hibs at home and wait on Dundee bottling it at Pittodrie.

Job done.

17 minutes ago, Busta Nut said:

It would be nice to make top 6 but It's very unlikely in my opinion. 

It’s absolutely mental that it is actually still an option and opportunity. We are only 7 pts behind St Mirren after this wild season. Such a missed opportunity imo.

3 minutes ago, Busta Nut said:

Don't believe our hype

It's not so much that you're good, it's that others are bad.

I don't think Adama Sidibeh is even 6ft yet he bullied one Hibs CB into being subbed off at halftime then toyed with the other 2. Bair should stroll it.

18 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

It's not so much that you're good, it's that others are bad.

I don't think Adama Sidibeh is even 6ft yet he bullied one Hibs CB into being subbed off at halftime then toyed with the other 2. Bair should stroll it.

Oh I know we're not "good". I wouldn't believe our hype that we could be decent either.

As an aside by the way, IF we do manage to make top 6 yer 100% right I will be touting us for europe.
Fickle n that.