Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

36 minutes ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

I don't think Halliday is going to do btw. He's obviously only played in fits and starts and might be better after a full pre-season but it seems unlikely at his age. Hopefully we can get shot of him.

A squad player at best, Kettlewell will make him useful but has contributed little to date.

3 minutes ago, ropy said:

A squad player at best, Kettlewell will make him useful but has contributed little to date.

Bizarrely he looked fine - perhaps due to low expectations - when he arrived having not played for ages.

No doubt he's struggled since. I actually wonder if he's not fully fit since that injury kept him out but with Slattery and Paton knackered there's no one else. If that's the case I hope we're now letting him recover properly.

I think we should probably lose that PCA we have with Halliday.  I don't think he's particularly bad, but I feel the money would be better spent elsewhere. The only advantage that I could see with him is to add veteran presence for the weans, and cover us if we extend Slattery

We should also tell Blackburn that Gent was in the same box as hallidays PCA that we lost, and the fact that he looks like our now signing, Jorge Jent, is just a coincidence.

I think people shit talking Spittal are telling themselves stories. He still works his ass off, and stuff just wasn't coming off for him today. He should still be our poty.

All in all, weird season, ended up roughly where we're meant to be, somehow.

Scored a million goals, scored some belters, conceded nothing but horrors. 

Scottish cup a disaster, league cup a disappointment. Still quite like this team?

Also can we stop hooking Davor as a standard option, we go to pieces every fucking time.

59 minutes ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

I don't think Halliday is going to do btw. He's obviously only played in fits and starts and might be better after a full pre-season but it seems unlikely at his age. Hopefully we can get shot of him.

I’m getting the same feeling about Davor tbh. His passes always seem awkward for the receiver or get blocked. He’s not good enough on the ball. His off the ball stuff is good though obviously.

Has anyone worked out how many home games etc we’re due post split yet? 

Edited by Gianfranco

3 minutes ago, thisGRAEME said:

Scottish cup a disaster, league cup a disappointment. Still quite like this team?

Also can we stop hooking Davor as a standard option, we go to pieces every fucking time.

I'm fine with keeping "out of possession Davor" on for the full 95, but subbing "Davor with the ball" as early as possible.

4 minutes ago, rowsdower said:

So, 1 win or 1 RC loss to guarantee no playoff?

County are only 10 points behind with 6 games to play. They could lose to Rangers tomorrow, we could win our next one, and they could still overhaul us.

I'm not losing any sleep over that possibility. Not yet, anyway.

10 minutes ago, thisGRAEME said:

Yip, taking Davor and Vale off every time is getting frustrating.

Vale is being played too wide and too deep. Needs to be right up beside Bair with Spittal in the 10 role behind them. We are taking any Vale goal scoring threat right out the team essentially playing as a second right back.

I mean Vale would have buried that Shaw chance that’s for sure. 

2 minutes ago, wellboy1991 said:

Vale is being played too wide and too deep. Needs to be right up beside Bair with Spittal in the 10 role behind them. We are taking any Vale goal scoring threat right out the team essentially playing as a second right back.

I mean Vale would have buried that Shaw chance that’s for sure. 

Frustrating watching Gent put decent balls in all game and no one get on the end of them. Can't help but think that we'd score a few more if Vale was in the box and running on to them.

16 minutes ago, rowsdower said:

I think we should probably lose that PCA we have with Halliday.  I don't think he's particularly bad, but I feel the money would be better spent elsewhere. The only advantage that I could see with him is to add veteran presence for the weans, and cover us if we extend Slattery

Is Halliday doing his badges?

IMO, given Kettlewell spoke about us being understaffed way back when he got the gig (and we haven't really added to that since) Halliday feels like an absolute stick on to get added to the coaching staff alongside Foster etc while we keep him around as a player.

4 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

Is Halliday doing his badges?

IMO, given Kettlewell spoke about us being understaffed way back when he got the gig (and we haven't really added to that since) Halliday feels like an absolute stick on to get added to the coaching staff alongside Foster etc while we keep him around as a player.

Hes a coach at Broomhill isnt he?

Fairly sure hes also one of the (many) footballers who has a "pro academy" on the go too, which I believe requires badges of a certain level.

In summer my view for the season was survive comfortably, even if in 10th, gut the squad, pay the credit card (several managers and January 2023) and start again from even in 24/25. We'll get that so box ticked, no complaints.

Where the frustration comes in is with Aberdeen and Hibs imploding, there are two utter shiters in the top six and one will get Europe. Had we shot ourselves in the foot just a little less we'd have been right in that mix.

But c'est la vie. For all our improvements and 'likeable' aspects, we're clearly limited as anything. Davor has just been discussed while Bair is only marginally better than when we signed him in situations where he can't run in behind. There's then the defence. And goalkeeper.

And the manager. Who has some major pluses but is the equivalent of a raw teenage player - you can see why he might make it and equally why he might not.

Nonetheless, starting from zero is a much stronger position for 24/25 than our last two seasons. We finally have a CEO and we're finally sorting the strategic direction. As always, there are weaknesses and threats on the horizon but for the first time in over two years the strengths and opportunities are probably greater...it's time to be cautiously optimistic imho.