Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

3 hours ago, ropy said:

I see the player of the season awards are appearing tonight, I have never gone to any club events, calendar signings, open days, nights with Tam Cowan, are they worth it? 

Open days are good if you have kids. Sometimes a few players wandering around but mainly about the stalls and bouncy castles/facepainting and stuff the last ones I went to. Regularly go to calendar signings, players usually happy to sign stuff and take selfies if you're into that sorta stuff. Last ones they've let us in the dressing room and also the dugout and press interview room as well.
Last player of the year dance I went to I was 10 and don't think it was an official one either. Not sure I'd pay for it myself even if it was half the price.

6 hours ago, wellboy1991 said:

Heard we have two signed aswell. 

Names given around me today at the game are Easton from Raith Rovers and Shaun Rooney. 

Would defo take big Rooney, he’s a local lad aswell so would make sense. 

I would be well happy with Shaun Rooney. There were rumours around January we were interested.

He was excellent during St Johnstone’s cup winning run. A real threat at set pieces iirc. Fingers crossed this is true 🤞.

I know it would probably require at least two wins and a draw to achieve, but it's crazy that in a season where we lament the defence on a weekly basis, we've actually got an outside chance of a neutral / positive goal difference.

I think the fact that there are four teams with a worse goals conceded column than us tells me that the manner of the goals we're conceding, rather than the volume is the main concern. Hopefully that's easier to fix.

We'd need to chuck 8 goals in the last 3 games to equal the goals against column that Grezza's team that somehow how fluked Europe had.

2 hours ago, thisGRAEME said:

Ruined Eric Nicholson's bank holiday.

If Rooney signs that will be a double punch in the stones for Nicho. He's just written a piece on him being a free agent

I know the answer will be - he has only done it for one season…

But the Q is how much is Theo Bair worth when Aberdeen are apparently looking for £5m+ for Miovski.

They are both 24. They have both scored 15 goals and actually all the stats in terms of accuracy and goals per minute etc favour big Theo. 

22 minutes ago, welldaft said:

I know the answer will be - he has only done it for one season…

But the Q is how much is Theo Bair worth when Aberdeen are apparently looking for £5m+ for Miovski.

They are both 24. They have both scored 15 goals and actually all the stats in terms of accuracy and goals per minute etc favour big Theo. 

Get Newcastle on the phone, lads. It's £10 million now.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, capt_oats said:

Forty (40) consecutive top flight seasons is it?

Here's the first squad of this run from 85/86.

s-l1600.jpg

49463f930f209e6abd9fd88f65427dfa.jpg

My first season watching us - Boyd and Gahagan aside,  I barely (or actually don't) remember a lot of these players on the stickers. The fact I've only seen us in the top league is pathetically important to me because my time lines up exactly with the current stint...

Edited by Swello

32 minutes ago, boozyBJ said:

Not particularly jazzed about having Halliday next season. Hopefully seen more of a back up player, rather than first team starter

Preferably back up at hearts.

Posted (edited)

Right enjoyed the game yesterday, said it before but when we're in the mood we're a really fun team to watch. 

Halliday's already signed a deal with us, he'll be here. I don't think he's brought much, but he was fine yesterday. Willing to give him the benefit of the doubt and a pre-season to see what he can bring. We also do probably next a few experienced heads given we're due for another sizable rebuild.

I'd look to keep Nicholson, have wondered since he came in if Kettlewell viewed him as a bit of a Spittal replacement, played that role yesterday really well. Always thought he was a cracking player at Hearts, so would be great if he stuck about. 

Also heard the Rooney and Easton chat yesterday, but also that we've already got quite a few signings lined up on PCAs. That does add up with Friel's comments the other day about having a more complete, settled squad for pre-season and not repeating what we did this season, where a lot of players who were with us in the Netherlands were getting punted. 

Theo Bair is just getting better and better for us. Will be interesting to see if anyone does come in for him or if he fancies sticking about here. I know he's still got another year but you'd expect/hope we're offering him improved terms. 

Lennon Miller is just an absolute joy to watch, an unreal talent. Thought yesterday was one of his quieter games but he was still absolutely class on the ball, his pass to Gent for the third was superb, as was Gent's cross for Bair. Speaking of Gent, I think he's gone from a guy Blackburn fans didn't even know played for them to someone we'll struggle to get back, another cracking player. 

Edited by MurrayWell

That Nicholson shot and goal is on every week but we never take it.  We won’t score every time but there may be a rebound or a save and a corner.  We tend to play the ball wide which is fine, but mix it up and have a dig from 25 yards.  

13 minutes ago, MurrayWell said:

Also heard the Rooney and Easton chat yesterday, but also that we've already got quite a few signings lined up on PCAs. That does add up with Friel's comments the other day about having a more complete, settled squad for pre-season and not repeating what we did this season, where a lot of players who were with us in the Netherlands were getting punted. 

The nature of the game in Scotland these days is you often have a huge rebuild over summer, so it's not much of an excuse for managers. On the other hand, it's clear that for various reasons, our build up was hardly ideal last time.

I'm not convinced SK is going to be a great manager for us next season but I am convinced he's earned his chance to succeed or fail based off a 'normal' build up.

We've basically been safe since the win at Ibrox, so there has been a long run in period to prepare. I don't think anyone in the squad by August won't have been signed or re-signed by him (assuming Tierney doesn't return)... judgement by autumn, if only on our direction rather than final product, will be pretty fair and without caveats or excuses.

I always like the anticipation of a new season but this one more than most. I expected this year to be a struggle but, as I've said before, I think we can be cautiously optimistic we've bottomed out and are due an upturn again.

On 02/05/2024 at 13:19, Eliphas Pettigrew said:

I m convinced that some 'fans' go to games just to scream "Get to f**k (insert name of latest scapegoat / chosen player they've decided to take an instant dislike to for some obscure reason), otherwise standing there motionless arms folded loudly tutting or vigorously shaking their head or gesticulating

There was a guy removed by stewards at half time yesterday for abusing Spittal just as he was about to take a corner and then wanting to fight fans who challenged him.