Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

3 minutes ago, santheman said:

There surely must be some 6'4" brick shithouse of a keeper loitering about the English leagues somewhere not getting any game time.

2 minutes ago, well again said:

That describes Arron Chapman.

I think he means one with actual functioning hands.

59 minutes ago, Jim McLean's Ghost said:

David Marshall?

He is done. He was done 2 years ago. Absolutely not.

Is this really the options discussed in the club. i know our scouting department isn't up to much but this is scraping the barrell.

ffs I'm not advocating for it :lol:

55 minutes ago, MurrayWell said:

The name I heard wasn't David Marshall or Scott Bain...

A man of chucking them in against us at Fir Park fame, most recently spotted training with Manchester United. Very odd if true. 

Not sure if that's the same fella @Despheard about too, but certainly raised a few eyebrows in our group when it was mentioned as being a likely deal. 

We need to sign Louis Moult. Even if we never play him.

1 hour ago, Swello said:

Did he not end up there as we stopped Carson going?

Yeah that was the case. We were letting Carson go though, we had Freddie Woodman lined up in loan before Aberdeen hijacked the deal late on. 

I like the idea of Benji Siegrist as Motherwell’s number one.

I also noticed Trevor Carson hasn’t been playing for Dundee recently. I’d take him back over Marshall, Bain or Lewis. 

Signing one over the hill keeper called Marshall is enough in my lifetime. Will never forgive Gordon Marshall for the 5-1 cup final defeat when I was a youngster. 

14 minutes ago, Gianfranco said:

Signing one over the hill keeper called Marshall is enough in my lifetime. Will never forgive Gordon Marshall for the 5-1 cup final defeat when I was a youngster. 

He had been absolutely outstanding during the run to the final as well. Some of the saves he pulled off for us were mad that year/period. I remember one at Tynecastle that was up there with Gordon Banks.

30 minutes ago, camer0n_mcd said:

The prospect of us signing Joe Lewis has knocked any possible excitement for next season out of me. Pretty brutal.

I guess the only upside would be that he wouldn’t be playing against us.  Other folk thought he was good?

Any chance of Gillespie actually wanting to play football again so we think. Would love him to come back. 

Nah, he will be loving his £5k a week to train and do hee haw else. 

Did say the name wouldn't excite folk... 

Only thing I suppose is perhaps we're looking to get an actual experienced back-up keeper in, rather than first choice, similar to when Scott Fox cut about for a bit. 

At points this season, Liam Kelly absolutely should have been dropped, but when the only guy we have to replace him is someone who has played twice for us and isn't trusted, we didn't have a choice but to play him. 

Posted (edited)

Scott Bain is dogshite. always was and always will be. Looked semi decent at one small period cos he had a load of shots fired at him.

Joe Lewis is shite anaw, a few of us heard that one a few months ago and prayed it never reared its head again. As someone said, made a million mistakes every one of them was "uncharacteristic". He's about 38 and been coaching Man U under 12s or suhin. Madness IMO.

I reckon even if Kelly spoke to his defenders we'd be a few points better off. That's speculation on my part of course but I dunno how many centre halves I've heard say "my best period when I was at my best was when *Insert goalie* was behind me talking me through the games". I don't see Kelly doing that.

Edited by Busta Nut

4 minutes ago, wellboy1991 said:

Any chance of Gillespie actually wanting to play football again so we think. Would love him to come back. 

Nah, he will be loving his £5k a week to train and do hee haw else. 

He must be on 4x that. It's English fitba. place is a circus

Gillespie is exactly what we need. Well his type. 
OOC at an English Lower league team, Willing to come up and take a chance. Using guys like Gillespie & Randolph as examples

3 hours ago, Handsome_Devil said:

Half of our material is saying he's been shit for 23 years... he obviously benefits too but to me the he marketing pitch around him is very much promoting us as a club rather than his transfer fee.

That video ticked a lot of boxes simultaneously and no sure which one got the lions share of the desired outcome:

• He used to be shit, now look at him
  • He's dedicated to his craft, putting extra hours in on and off the pitch
  • Our gaffer can spot a player eh?
  • We nurture talent
  • If anyone wants him he's available
  • If you'd consider hanging about and extending Theo, we got you

We'd as well hiring that guy who stood behind Jackie Bird at Hogmanay motioning his head towards Theo and making 😜 and 😮

1 hour ago, Gianfranco said:

Bit harsh, IMO. No doubt he had a poor game that day, but we wouldn't have been at Hampden without him. 

He also had a very good game, and kept us in it, on a certain day in May 2005.