Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

Posted (edited)
20 minutes ago, eliphas said:

Yeah I would not be in the slightest surprised he was the rumour. 

But, from a want Vs not want....seriously man. Bain.

If it's Bain and all our defensive woes have been caused by Kelly then we are in for another long season. 

I'm annoyed and he's not even here yet. Haha. 

Aye. I was just watching a YouTube clip of Bain (which @Ludo*1 posted below) and he's flying about the place making saves.

Like, honestly, just give me Mark Gillespie being entirely competent and taking crosses with absolutely zero drama. That's all I need lads.

Anyway, I notice McGinn played with him at Dundee so there's that as well.

Short sleeved GK shirts though. 👍

Edited by capt_oats

At his peak at Dundee, there's no denying Scott Bain was absolutely sensational. He had about a 6-8 month stint where he was being compared to our two last greats in Rab Douglas and Julian Speroni. Some of the saves he'd pull off were absolutely sublime and despite not having a massive stature, he was absolutely dominant in his box.

Then it all changed and it was largely his attitude. Greg Stewart noted on a recent Open Goal podcast that he admired Scott Bain's 'don't give a f**k' attitude and he would regularly challenge the manager and that eventually came to boiling point when he went up against probably the most ill-tempered man currently associated with Scottish football in Neil McCann. Apparently they had a full on scrap at HT in a game against Hamilton in which his attempts at diving for the ball were absolutely pitiful. That was pretty much the end of his time at Dens as he was to play a game for the reserves as a punishment for his outburst and he failed to turn up and that was that.

His attitude was fucking shocking and he truly believed his own hype. His form was absolutely chronic, he became glued to his line, regularly argued with fans, and you could see he wasn't bothering his arse to try and save the ball. But his biggest flaw, even more than his attitude was his inability to lead a defence. Many keepers, in poorer Dundee teams have much better clean sheet records than Bain for us and that's the main reason.

To put it into context, Bain kept just 4 clean sheets in his final 54 games for us. Elliot Parish, a much poorer goalkeeper overall, kept 4 clean sheets in the 9 games Bain was still at Dundee but suspended. In that 54 game run, Bain was out injured for 2 games and David Mitchell, again, another keeper much less talented than Bain kept 2 clean sheets. In the season we were relegated under McPake/McGhee, despite playing through injury (and again being a much less naturally gifted goalkeeper than Bain) for most of the season, Adam Legzdins kept 6 clean sheets in 24 games. Now clean sheets don't tell you everything, but I would say Bain had the best defence out of all the keepers mentioned there as he had Thomas Konrad -- James McPake -- Kosta Gadzhalov - 3 defenders that Dundee fans have fond memories of in comparison to say, Liam Fontaine & Ryan Sweeney.

Scott Bain is an example of a completely wasted career. At his peak, I genuinely believe he was Scotland quality and not just make the numbers up like Kelly & Clark. But an atrocious fucking attitude, zero desire to keep on improving and the 'cream rising to the top' stopped him and he's now a distinctly average - at best - goalkeeper.

To end on a more positive note, some Celtic fan made a list of his best saves and it might make you realise that he was once had a touch of brilliance in him.

16 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

Scott Bain is an example of a completely wasted career. At his peak, I genuinely believe he was Scotland quality and not just make the numbers up like Kelly & Clark. But an atrocious fucking attitude, zero desire to keep on improving and the 'cream rising to the top' stopped him and he's now a distinctly average - at best - goalkeeper.

Bain certainly isn't an inspiring name but I'd rather have him than Marshall.

There's always an element of rolling the dice for us and with an enigmatic midfielder or striker, you can always say signing a twat might be worth it if he's brilliant. But doing that with your goalie, who has barely played in god knows how long, seems bold.

2 hours ago, Handsome_Devil said:

Bigger clubs always tend to talk up their players, regardless of ability, whereas we tend to talk ours down.

I don't think you can claim Motherwell haven't been talking Bair up.

7 hours ago, Busta Nut said:

Just taking it back to the defence and goalie chat.
I reckon if we have a competent confident goalie we'd be much better off defensively.

100% - number of times that we lost goals or the defence was struggling crying out for a keeper to come off his line and help them out. Kelly isn't the guy to ever do that.

4 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Yeah I was half way typing the same thing.

I think what does happen is talking up gets more traction when you play with a bigger team and that happens up all the 'levels' of teams. Add in he's done it for a bit longer at Aberdeen and he's got longer on his contract and hey presto. 

Just now, eliphas said:

Yeah I was half way typing the same thing.

I think what does happen is talking up gets more traction when you play with a bigger team and that happens up all the 'levels' of teams. Add in he's done it for a bit longer at Aberdeen and he's got longer on his contract and hey presto. 

Turnover, wages and contract length play a larger part in determining fees than performances.

Miovski is probably earning about 3/4 times more than Bair if it's true Bair is on peanuts, is on a longer deal, and Aberdeens turnover is larger. All that adds up to mean his value is higher than Bairs to other clubs.

14 minutes ago, Jim McLean's Ghost said:

Is Bain even better than Kelly. he was a bit of a diddy before his move to Celtic which was out of the blue.

Did he not end up there as we stopped Carson going?

21 minutes ago, Jim McLean's Ghost said:

With Bain are you not just swapping one middling highly paid keeper for another?

Is Bain even better than Kelly. he was a bit of a diddy before his move to Celtic which was out of the blue.

The only reason Bain is at Celtic is because we wouldn’t let them have Carson.  

30 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Half of our material is saying he's been shit for 23 years... he obviously benefits too but to me the he marketing pitch around him is very much promoting us as a club rather than his transfer fee.

8 minutes ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

I'd rather Bain but Marshall feels more likely to me.

David Marshall?

He is done. He was done 2 years ago. Absolutely not.

Is this really the options discussed in the club. i know our scouting department isn't up to much but this is scraping the barrell.

The name I heard wasn't David Marshall or Scott Bain...

A man of chucking them in against us at Fir Park fame, most recently spotted training with Manchester United. Very odd if true. 

Not sure if that's the same fella @Despheard about too, but certainly raised a few eyebrows in our group when it was mentioned as being a likely deal. 

2 minutes ago, MurrayWell said:

A man of chucking them in against us at Fir Park fame, most recently spotted training with Manchester United. Very odd if true. 

f**k no, the only guy in Scotland who makes 20 howlers a season and has them considered uncharacteristic.

2 minutes ago, MurrayWell said:

Not sure if that's the same fella @Despheard about too, but certainly raised a few eyebrows in our group when it was mentioned as being a likely deal. 

Surely not that useless big streak of pish? Be better off wi fuckin Leona Lewis in goals over Joe.

Just now, eliphas said:

Next time I see Marshall in Costa I'll ask. He's in there as much as he just be through at Hibs training. 

Make sure you get your 20% when it happens.