Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

Posted (edited)

While Mika being recalled in January felt like it was a major punch in the gut the reality we had a promising youth player from the EPL runners up is still one of those “how did we pull that off?”. I often wonder if he would have been pulled if we were putting down a Killie points tally by Xmas?

Regardless, Theo stepped up and put down remarkable numbers. Would he still have scored 15 goals … maybe not but them playing in a front two pairing then you’d think double figures was possible especially with Wilkinson high tailing it.

Reality is our own player performed and tuned him from a 150k asset and on minimal radars this summer to some talking of 7 figures and in many teams scouting dossiers.

Would Bireth’s goals and contribution overhauled Dundee or reeled in St Mirren? 5th place is a minimum of 600k more than 9th with prize money and UEFA cash.

I remember feeling in early October everything would be better when Butcher got back not realising that injury robbed him of all ability.

Edited by Vietnam91

Next season it would be nice to not be looking over our shoulders in December and having to rely on the January window to save us again again and to actually be a functioning team when the Scottish cup starts. 

Watching the Championship play offs. Dylan Easton came on as a sub. Been quite impressed with his efforts so far. Looks like a skilful tenacious player. 

Fully expect a St Mirren tweet on Monday saying he has signed a 2 year deal…..

This is probably the bit where people tell me he's been rotten for years and that we've already been stung by the solid Premiership player tag in Halliday, but would Paul Hanlon for a year be a terrible signing? 

As I said to ye earlier. I honestly don't know a thing about him. If it hadn't been a thing recently I wouldn't have known he'd been at hibs for x amount of years.

7 hours ago, crazylegsjoe_mfc said:

This is probably the bit where people tell me he's been rotten for years and that we've already been stung by the solid Premiership player tag in Halliday, but would Paul Hanlon for a year be a terrible signing? 

Probably not terrible but it depends a lot on other business for me. if we're assuming we'll have Blaney, McGinn, Casey, SOD, I'd happily sign Hanlon then our first pick for the centre. If we've already signed Obileye, we'll still need that A+ first pick and there's no place for him.

Apologies for double posting but I see Vale has issued what would previously have headlined a COME AND GET ME PLEA in the red tops.

I think there must be a decent chance we'll get him back, though a new manager at Rovers complicates things a bit. 

6 hours ago, Busta Nut said:

As I said to ye earlier. I honestly don't know a thing about him. If it hadn't been a thing recently I wouldn't have known he'd been at hibs for x amount of years.

I was showing someone Lukas' goal against Hibs last night; Hanlon was playing centre back that day. 🫠

1 hour ago, Handsome_Devil said:

Probably not terrible but it depends a lot on other business for me. if we're assuming we'll have Blaney, McGinn, Casey, SOD, I'd happily sign Hanlon then our first pick for the centre. If we've already signed Obileye, we'll still need that A+ first pick and there's no place for him

My thoughts behind it were that he could probably do the organising, experienced head role in the middle that Butcher done before he was broken. I saw an interview with Lewis Stevenson on social media yesterday saying that Hibs were making a mistake letting Hanlon go and he had been playing as well as he always had (obviously saying that because he is his pal, don't get me wrong), but it did make me wonder if he'd be a good shout for us. I did try and quickly glance at the Hibs thread to see if they had thought it was the right time, but struggled to make my way through the Malky Mackay content to find out.

I really hope Obileye is not singing for us as any choice 😂

Would Hanlon really be any better than what we have? There's probably a reason he's spent his entire career at Hibs, and they've been utter dug meat at times since he came through there. 

No thanks. 

8 hours ago, boozyBJ said:

We’re just mentioning Hanlon so St Mirren will sign him, right?

Not sure how he'd function in a back three with Bevis and Obileye, but Robbo can make it work.

Overall this season has been a weird one. Many of us weren't happy with recruitment at the start of the season, or in January, but somehow we managed to finish the season comfortably as one of the highest scoring teams in the league.

I like the way we play, especially when our wing backs are in full flow, and we play some really nice stuff a lot of the time. The Slattery game v hearts was excellent, and we played some great stuff in the games we just lost at the start of "the run". There were also only a handful of games we weren't competitive in in the last 10 mins.

Defensively I'm not sure what the root of our issue is, I'd love to have a deep dive into our analytics, but a lot of our issues seem to be around concentration, or not being able to see players that are under 5'8".  I wouldn't say we're soft at the back, or particularly slow, and we generally don't fart about on the ball, but we lack something.

Since halliday has come in, teams are waltzing right through us on the counter attack. This may just be a coincidence, and skewed by me not liking him, but we need to add some quality in midfield. I imagine Paton is going to slot into Spittals spot, or minutes at least, which is a concern due to his lack of a final ball.

At our worst I was indifferent to SK leaving, but never got to the "punt him" stage, mainly because I couldn't see us bringing in anyone better. You can't argue that the team isn't motivated or committed and they definitely work for each other. I generally like him, but if he left us his next job would likely be someone's assistant or in the championship, as I don't think he's strong tactically.

I hope we do get our business done early, and use the last few days of the window to add a loan or two.

I'm coming home for a bit in October, so all I ask is that we are not total dug meat at that point.

22 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

Bring him home.

Pretty sure his mrs is from the 'shire so a very optimistic part of me would hope for an outside chance. The reality is that, at 33, he still has a couple of decent years in him at a level and on a wage in the English Championship/League One that we couldn't possibly get close to. All the best to him wherever he ends up, unfortunately I doubt it will be in ML1.

Since playing wingbacks are our plans A, B and C it would be nice to develop our own players since they’re going to get so much use rather than doing it for other teams