Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

7 hours ago, eliphas said:

As a complete side bar, I gave the game a heavy dinghy yesterday for reasons mainly to do with beer and sun, did Barry Maguire come out at the end for a walkabout?

That's Maguire confirming he's away on his IG.

18 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

That's Maguire confirming he's away on his IG.

Not a surprise. Probably shouldn't have got his last extension to be fair. But bit of an end of an era with him away.

"just disappointed in the way it came to an end" .....

I mean was he hoping to get a hat trick at our summer training camp in Holland and convince enough of us he's got something about him ..... again?

To have been here for the last 3 of his 9 years is pretty fortunate.

4 minutes ago, Vietnam91 said:

"just disappointed in the way it came to an end" .....

I mean was he hoping to get a hat trick at our summer training camp in Holland and convince enough of us he's got something about him ..... again?

To have been here for the last 3 of his 9 years is pretty fortunate.

Probably didn't expect to be frozen out the way he was since coming back for loan. So I do get that comment. 

Regardless, time to move on for him, probably was a couple years ago.

Just now, eliphas said:

Probably didn't expect to be frozen out the way he was since coming back for loan. So I do get that comment. 

Regardless, time to move on for him, probably was a couple years ago.

Aye.

Tbf, we make a big thing about providing a pathway for Academy players and compared with his cohort (Cadden, Campbell, Turnbull, Scott etc) he's probably the sort of player where our first team was/is his ceiling so in that respect I don't have too much of an issue with us having extended his deal(s) when we have.

In an ideal world he kicks on that bit more and we have an entirely serviceable squad player.

This season he had his bags packed for him and farmed out to Kidderminster then whether through injury or otherwise he's not been able to contribute since he came back so as you say, his comment about being disappointed with the way things panned out seems entirely fair (IMO).

6 minutes ago, eliphas said:

Not that I love him as a player by any means but when Paton and Slattery were out and Halliday was blatantly rushed back, would he not have been able to fill some minutes off the bench? His injury seemed very convenient/dubious.

I think SK - for better or worse - can be a bit biblical in banishing people and while nobody will cry over McKinstry, Maguire etc, I'm not 100% convinced it was the best use of our limited resources.

Perhaps when it's exclusively his squad from next season it'll be different.

14 minutes ago, Handsome_Devil said:

Aside from Shane Blaney, every player that's here next season will either have been signed by, or given a new contract by Kettlewell, so there really is no hiding from here forward.

4 minutes ago, crazylegsjoe_mfc said:

Aside from Shane Blaney, every player that's here next season will either have been signed by, or given a new contract by Kettlewell, so there really is no hiding from here forward.

Ross Tierney aswell,  but easily forgotten. 😅

Posted (edited)
43 minutes ago, Handsome_Devil said:

Not that I love him as a player by any means but when Paton and Slattery were out and Halliday was blatantly rushed back, would he not have been able to fill some minutes off the bench? His injury seemed very convenient/dubious.

I think SK - for better or worse - can be a bit biblical in banishing people and while nobody will cry over McKinstry, Maguire etc, I'm not 100% convinced it was the best use of our limited resources.

I think Ketts' ability/willingness to shut people out + move them on (mainly with Hammel's duds but also Wilkinson, Souare etc) just makes Oli Shaw's staying power even funnier to me. I'm almost sort of warming to him as a comic figure that we somehow can't get rid of despite his loan literally ending in January.

Edited by YassinMoutaouakil

42 minutes ago, Handsome_Devil said:

Yeah said before it will be interesting if his axe will fall as gleefully when its players he's directly responsible for.

The fact SOD didn't get on in the closing minutes tells me he didn't need a farewell so probably has been offered and accepted a deal.

It will be interesting to see how the new dynamic of Daws, Ketts and Caldwell work over the summer. Caldwell certainly has a wealth of experience at negotiating at our player level.

4 hours ago, Handsome_Devil said:

Who has Kettlewell banished? I think the players that went out on loan such as Maguire and Tierney needed the game time elsewhere. They could have sat on the bench for us. As for McKinstry some fans thought he was great and others didn't. He made 24 appearances for us over the season.

I personally don't think McKinstry was good enough and I'll say the same about Tierney and Maguire. 

3 hours ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

I think Ketts' ability/willingness to shut people out + move them on (mainly with Hammel's duds but also Wilkinson, Souare etc) just makes Oli Shaw's staying power even funnier to me. I'm almost sort of warming to him as a comic figure that we somehow can't get rid of despite his loan literally ending in January.

I thought that Wilkinson didn't settle here and wanted to return to England. That's been said quite often on social media. 

I don't think he was shut out by Kettlewell.