Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, eliphas said:

Being a bit fairer than I was last night I suppose Kettlewell has to balance it vs the risk of not being able to recruit who he wants. 

Offering McGinn a deal where he'd likely stay Vs deals for Butcher, Mugabi and SOD that they likely won't. Perhaps banking on one of the 3 staying as a backup on backup wages. 

Slattery and Nicholson I get it 

Obika. f**k knows. But surely someone in the club/media guy has noticed by now and we should be updating him into one of the lists....

Someone said elsewhere on social media that Butcher only signed on last season because he didn't get a better offer. I actually did think we would offer him a new deal this season. 

We also obviously don't know what deals other players have been offered and why they are still negotiating. I'd be surprised if the club offered a player terms because they didn't want them to stay. I do think that some will be signed as back up - which is sensible. 

Edited by Wellin

2 minutes ago, Busta Nut said:

I reckon SOD will stay

So do I... I'd be surprised if Slattery and Nicholson don't too. Mugabi I'm less sure of though.

Giving players a little time is fine but repeating what we did last season, with Casey for example, should be a major no no.

3 minutes ago, Busta Nut said:

I reckon SOD will stay

I agree. I think he will. Apparently he's been offered a year but is looking for two - that's just speculation though based on someone who knows him and who posted elsewhere. 

Just now, Handsome_Devil said:

So do I... I'd be surprised if Slattery and Nicholson don't too. Mugabi I'm less sure of though.

Giving players a little time is fine but repeating what we did last season, with Casey for example, should be a major no no.

Nicolson said last week that part of the issue is that he's still contracted elsewhere but surely there's ways around that. I think he will stay and I think Slattery will too. 

1 minute ago, Wellin said:

I agree. I think he will. Apparently he's been offered a year but is looking for two - that's just speculation though based on someone who knows him and who posted elsewhere. 

If true it seems a little odd we gave mcginn two (basically) when he's soon 34 while SOD has only just turned 32.

Just now, Handsome_Devil said:

If true it seems a little odd we gave mcginn two (basically) when he's soon 34 while SOD has only just turned 32.

Yeah. It was said that both McGinn and SOD had been offered a year but wanted two - just speculation like I said but if they've offered McGinn a year with the option of extending I'd be very surprised if SOD isn't offered the same. 

I was out cycling today and passed by Symingtons pitch. They were playing a very young Motherwell team, probably under 11's.

There was a guy in centre midfield for Motherwell called Tyler who looked brilliant! Scored a cracker by beating 3 players then blootering it into the roof of the net from 20 yards (albeit over a keeper who was shorter than Liam Kelly).

So, I'm calling a £5  million player in 7 years or so.

I've been wondering if we'll try to poach Nicholson tbh, but I don't know what links there are between him and Levein.

32 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

I've been wondering if we'll try to poach Nicholson tbh, but I don't know what links there are between him and Levein.

Dunno if there are any links between the two of them, but when it comes to poaching Motherwell you need to know your place. St Mirren will have first dibs, obviously.

7 hours ago, Handsome_Devil said:

I don't think so really. McGinn is older but the more athletic, quick and fitter of the two. It's always been one or the other for me so I'm hoping SOD gets a better offer elsewhere tbh

2 hours ago, Busta Nut said:

SOD will be signing as a right sided centre back. IMO

Probably but that then presents an issue with succession planning with that position filled up and covered by two guys in their mid 30's.

I overheard a hunny-bhear on the train today mentioning Kelly, but also that they think they have to sell Buttocksland to "have a transfer budget" (their words). It made me double-think the role of LK in his return to Castle Greyskull. See it might just be me, but on the other side of Glasgow I've never really rated the currently-overly-eulogised Hart. KVV's goal against them last season epitomised for me the idea that Hart, like most OF GK'S, are only actually any good because of the ten million-pound-players in front of them that ensure any of their number 1's must face the least amount of shots on target. Either sides defence and style of play means their GK's can faff about most of the time and reap all the plaudits.
So someone we identify as a "confidence" keeper like Kelly, whose best games were when he had a functioning backline and competent folk in front of him, might be just who they're looking for. Can they afford better? UndoubEBTdly. Do they really need to? Maybe not tbh. Sure, Liam disappears from crosses like Jesus at Easter, but when your side only faces 2 a game then that's not soooo bad.